Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    did they ditch the pre yet ? or still talking about? sorry just wondering is all ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't help but do understand the issue. I'm not sure where your old numbers came from but it sounds like when your phone was set-up they were linked to the Palm back up and I currently don't see a way to get them off your phone without a trip to Sprint. I had my original contacts from my Centro saved to Palm Desktop so when I moved to the cloud I just imported them to google then sync'd to the Pre. Were your contacts initially on a Desktop somewhere? So google and Pre were sync'd. Sorry I couldn't help, if I think of something else I'll definitely let you know.
    I think you are right. When the Sprint tech sync'd my phone with my contacts from my Instinct, I think they did default to Palm and not google, and that is why my contacts from my Instinct do not show up on Google.

Then when I got home I switched my default to Google, and since then any new contacts show up on Google (as well as my phone).

I just want to do a one time backup of my Pre contacts to my desktop that way I can import them to Google, which is the simplest way to do that?
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I would strongly recommend talking to Sprint or Palm and seeing if they could give you a CSV file for those contacts, especially if you have alot. If they can, its pretty simple from there. I think palm tech assisted someone with that before. Did the instinct have desktop software could you resync it with outlook or something. This post spells out what I was saying. However keep in mind it will only sync the original contacts and not facebook or other accounts. Importing Contacts Is a Pain - Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    There is also missing sync, which may work. Didn't for me, but it did for others. You might want to look into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Here's something else that's wrong. Folks at BB or Sprint transfer contacts from a WM (or whatever) device to a new Pre and associate them with Palm Profile?

Sprint would call that part of the Ready Now experience.

I call it a bag of hurt waiting to happen. Yep, you're ready now alright. Ready to depend on palm profile with no easy way to sync those somewhere else.

It's really just a badly implemented process. Are these reps even asking how do you sync your contacts? Where are they stored? Use exchange? Do they have a google or yahoo account and if not, explain why'd they want one?

But some blame should fall to the user. C'mon, you had a Mogul? I've seen others with prior smartphones as well griping of losing contacts as well. Didn't you sync with a computer, exchange, or cloud such as gmail before? Why would you let an ***** rep move contacts from previous phone when all that should be needed is to put your account on it and pull from exchange, gmail or yahoo, or wait to get to your PC and use a 3rd party chapura app?

This is a problem for Palm though. Palm needs to simply the process of putting contacts on. Palm profile should be changed to not include contacts at all. Noone else takes this risk, why should Palm? It's reinventing the wheel anyways. Exchange/outlook or clouds such as yahoo or google should be used and be the default method for Palm & Sprint in setting up these phones.

If you're using synergy or a 3rd party app to sync, and why wouldn't you, then you shouldn't be losing contacts.
    Because it's how I decided I wanted to do it. Only just got it last week knowing other Profile extraction tools were posted here for making backups.

Incidentally, if I get an iPhone, don't they push MobileMe? Or BlackBerry Server for BBs? Or now My Phone for WinMo?

Anyhow... To try and be helpful to the OP (who's apparently gone):

If you already lost your contacts, do you still have your 6800 or any of the local backups you kept for it? Convert one to a CSV file and upload it to GMail. Sync to Pre. That's how I was going to do it before buying into that silly Palm Profile static. At least gets you most of it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Because it's how I decided I wanted to do it. Only just got it last week knowing other Profile extraction tools were posted here for making backups.

Incidentally, if I get an iPhone, don't they push MobileMe? Or BlackBerry Server for BBs? Or now My Phone for WinMo?

Anyhow... To try and be helpful to the OP (who's apparently gone):

If you already lost your contacts, do you still have your 6800 or any of the local backups you kept for it? Convert one to a CSV file and upload it to GMail. Sync to Pre. That's how I was going to do it before buying into that silly Palm Profile static. At least gets you most of it back.
    You may as well use a dumbphone then? You chose to use it in that manner.

Incidentally, all those services you mentioned being offered by others are accessible online and include much more. Can be used with outlook easily for desktop storage as well.

The bottom line however is this. If you aren't syncing to a source that you can access on your computer, then why not? That's always been one reason to even own a smartphone.

This is just stuff i take for granted having used them for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    Ah how I love sarcasm with my morning coffee.

Fact of the matter is, if you have feedback to give, Palm provides an avenue for you to do that and these forums are not it. From a quick search of this very forum, you can easily find several threads relating to the lost contacts issue. It's known, Palm has admitted it, and some people here have offered workarounds for the issue. Whining and stomping your feet about ditching your Pre because of it serves no purpose other than self-gratification at the expense of the people frequenting this forum. Nobody here can magically fix the contacts problem, only Palm can.

So, realistically, the options are :

1. Pony up the cash for a new phone and hope you wind up liking it.
    2. Wait for Palm to put out an official fix and perhaps be able to restore a backup.
    3. Utilize one of the workarounds posted in other threads on this forum.

That's as much as anyone here can do for you. The choice is now yours.
    I wish that I could just copy and paste this very comment in just about every thread that is similar to this one. Believe me, I'm not trying to trivialize the OP's problem(s), but the fact is that this very thing (among other complaints) shows up in multiple threads and a simple search would render pages of results.

I don't think some of the people "firing back" are Palm loyalists who think Palm is infallible. I think that they are (myself included) sorta tired of the same "rinse and repeat" threads. Someone a few weeks ago even broke down the format for each of them:

1. Start by saying how much you love the Pre and it's incredible potential
    2. Talk about how you plan on ditching it for any number of other smartphones (iPhone, Hero, etc.)
    3. Describe the problem and/or missing features
    4. Again, say how much you love the Pre and wish Palm would do something

That's roughly what anyone who frequents the board can expect to see on almost a daily basis. If some of you really want Palm to do more and think complaints are the way to do it, then use the avenues that Palm has established. I really don't think they have people dedicated to reading these threads.
    Last edited by THAANSA3; 12/05/2009 at 03:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You may as well use a dumbphone then? You chose to use it in that manner.

Incidentally, all those services you mentioned being offered by others are accessible online and include much more. Can be used with outlook easily for desktop storage as well.

The bottom line however is this. If you aren't syncing to a source that you can access on your computer, then why not? That's always been one reason to even own a smartphone.

This is just stuff i take for granted having used them for years.
    Been using them for years as well. Apparently we use them slightly differently. Palm Profile (among other services) just plays into how I use mine even if you have no purpose for it.

The beauty is that smartphones are flexible. We can both use our Pres however we like, so that sunshine and rainbows may rain down upon us all in a field of puppies making the world a happier place.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234