Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Yeah the quick contacts app developer is very active in his thread and is always on top of issues with his app. You can try it for 14days for free and then choose whether or not to buy it (1.99 if I remember correctly).

For future reference (even though it's not a local backup), if you have to get a new Pre, make sure that it has same WEbOS Version that your original phone had. It seems that somewhere along the line, Palm didn't have this exception in their server routines causing people to not get their contacts back from the server (which in turn will wipe out the existing server contacts because it thinks you have changed your contacts on your Pre because it will eventually replace it with what's on your Pre currently, even if you only have entered a few contacts manually cause you never got yours from the servers to begin with).

Users have found that if the original Pre had 1.3.1 but the new Pre (out of box Pre that will replace your older one) has a previous version of the WebOS, the servers get confused and will not send you your contacts due to different OS version even though you log into your Palm Profile. Hopefully Palm has fixed this issue.
    Thanks for that info! I also just purchased Quickcontacts. I like it better than photodialer in a way. Seems to have a few more options with it and my contact pics come out great! Thanks again for your help!
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    how did you guys switch from the pre to the hero? did you guys just go to the repair center and say "oh hey my pre's hardware is crap. Instead of getting another crap of a pre, can i get the much superior hardware-wise hero?"

but seriously, i want to get rid of it, but i got it as a gift(they shelled out the 500 something bucks whatever) from my parents during august(with a build date of june 10th-ish).

software-it's damn near perfect. my tether compliments pre nicely and the mulitasking is tons better than android's multitasking. webos is nicely polished with some good eyecandy.

hardware-just blows. where to begin. my power button sometimes doesnt work. screen scratches like hell, battery sucks(and i have the 2800 mAh seidio battery), oreos like crazy, and it runs hot like an oven in my pocket (seriously, someone can get some burns by leaving it in their pocket while tethering or hardcore processing). and the slider never felt smooth to begin with. it always took a lot of umph to push it up. it never slided like it was wd40ed up.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    I still prefer to hard backup my stuff on either an external drive or on DVD. The cloud is a good reference point to fast access to certain files but by no means the only way it should be done. I should be able to do what I need to do from my PC or Laptop without EVER connecting to the cloud/web. I am not a google fan so I will never try their chrome OS.
    That's what I'm saying. You just back up the CSV somewhere on your hard drive. I don't exactly like using google either, but the CSV is an easy and realistic option if google or palm loses your contacts. You just import the CSV. It's also a method that's been floating around here for quite sometime. So now you have contacts on your Palm, Contacts in Google, and contacts on your hard drive as a CSV file.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    That's what I'm saying. You just back up the CSV somewhere on your hard drive. I don't exactly like using google either, but the CSV is an easy and realistic option if google or palm loses your contacts. You just import the CSV. It's also a method that's been floating around here for quite sometime. So now you have contacts on your Palm, Contacts in Google, and contacts on your hard drive as a CSV file.
    But for some reason it does NOT seem like my Pre and Google are sync'd? It looks like anyone I add after I bought my Pre is sync'd with Google, but not vice versa. (Yes, I already have it set in my phone to sync with Google.) Any suggestions?
    I hear you, you definitely need to keep a flame suit close around here, but I need you to tell me what is the point of discussing this topic over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. This forum has provided several work-a-rounds..........
    Because Palm needs to know what problems the public is having, so they can improve their product. We should and THEY should not have to depend on anybody else if we paid Palm for the phone.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    honestly, i still just write down my contacts because you never know what will happen to the cloud or to data on my computer or optical storage file. it takes hours, but it's worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wsc615 View Post
    honestly, i still just write down my contacts because you never know what will happen to the cloud or to data on my computer or optical storage file. it takes hours, but it's worth it.
    lol. Off topic a bit, but why not just print them out from somewhere on your computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    But for some reason it does NOT seem like my Pre and Google are sync'd? It looks like anyone I add after I bought my Pre is sync'd with Google, but not vice versa. (Yes, I already have it set in my phone to sync with Google.) Any suggestions?
    What is your default profile (Palm or Google?) and when did you set it as the default?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    What is your default profile (Palm or Google?) and when did you set it as the default?
    Google is my default, and I set as default after the Sprint tech set up my phone.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Because Palm needs to know what problems the public is having, so they can improve their product. We should and THEY should not have to depend on anybody else if we paid Palm for the phone.
    Again, does it need to be mentioned a gazillion times. Palm has its own forum, which I'm sure is a more direct method to getting their attention.

Palm Support Community - Palm Support Community
    Last edited by qst4; 12/03/2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Again, does it need to be mentioned a gazillion times. Palm has its own forum, which I'm sure is a more direct method to getting their attention.

[url= Support Community - Palm Support Community[/url]
    Then don't read my posts. They are not directed towards you.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Then don't read my posts. They are not directed towards you.
    Seriously, I was interested in your perspective on the necessity to post something over and over. No disrespect. But will comply.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. I had to replace my first pre, and after the replacement my contacts sycn'd from google without issue and I've been able to add contacts through the google and through the Pre and have everything remain sync'd. I know this doesn't help, but are you saying your original contacts from google (pre Pre) are not populating your Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sorry, this is on Palm for making the claim it can store your important info such as contacts in their palm profile. Obviously, they can't and shouldn't even try to..
    Agreed. This was one of the selling points about the phone. I'm starting to get fed up too. I want the pre to succeed, but I'm having too many issues and not enough useful apps. Definitely switching to a new iphone or the rumored Google phone by mid summer. I'll miss the multi-tasking if I end up getting an iphone... but hey, there is a crack for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstven View Post
    Agreed. This was one of the selling points about the phone. I'm starting to get fed up too. I want the pre to succeed, but I'm having too many issues and not enough useful apps. Definitely switching to a new iphone or the rumored Google phone by mid summer. I'll miss the multi-tasking if I end up getting an iphone... but hey, there is a crack for that!
    I said its on Palm for doing that but also that they don't need to and shouldn't. You shouldn't be relying on a palm profile for contacts/calendar. Use one of the cloud services or outlook/exchange.

I guess i just take it for granted that a smartphone user would be syncing his contacts with something.
    Seriously, I was interested in your perspective on the necessity to post something over and over. No disrespect. But will comply.
    It's ok, no hard feelings.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. I had to replace my first pre, and after the replacement my contacts sycn'd from google without issue and I've been able to add contacts through the google and through the Pre and have everything remain sync'd. I know this doesn't help, but are you saying your original contacts from google (pre Pre) are not populating your Pre?
    Google to Pre > good

Pre to Google > not good. It seems like only new contacts sync with Google, while old phone number from previous device did not sync with Google.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Google to Pre > good

Pre to Google > not good. It seems like only new contacts sync with Google, while old phone number from previous device did not sync with Google.
    Unfortunately, I can't help but do understand the issue. I'm not sure where your old numbers came from but it sounds like when your phone was set-up they were linked to the Palm back up and I currently don't see a way to get them off your phone without a trip to Sprint. I had my original contacts from my Centro saved to Palm Desktop so when I moved to the cloud I just imported them to google then sync'd to the Pre. Were your contacts initially on a Desktop somewhere? So google and Pre were sync'd. Sorry I couldn't help, if I think of something else I'll definitely let you know.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I back up my contacts and appointments regularly like cgardner (I use a separate CSV file for both on my desktop). I have tried syncing many ways between Google Calendar, Outlook & Pre (Google Calendar Sync, gSyncit, Companion Link, and Chapura PocketMirror) and I no longer trust the cloud for important stuff so I just use my Google Calendar for Sports, etc. I have settled on Chapura PocketMirror but I have to sync at home via Wi-Fi, which works great for me, is very reliable and I never lose any appointments or contacts and it even syncs notes and soon Tasks! I am not a "road warrior" traveling salesman. I work 1/2 the time from a home office and I was losing appointments syncing with Google (Android2 conspiracy?), although for the 1st month or 2 (I got my Pre the 1st week in June when it came out) syncing with Google worked like a charm until I, and many others, started to notice (Android2 release coincidence?) that syncing was not working right...so I eventually switched to Chapura...which I used on my old Palm Vx and LIFE IS GOOD! p.s. Everyone who has not learned by now to back up data is living in a dream world and stop complaining about having to pay for sync software. You just have to bite the bullet if you want to sync well!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksand007 View Post
    Always remember that the only tolerable comments on this forum are those that show unquestioned devotion to Palm, no matter how screwed your own particular problems are.

Some people think that negative feedback and criticisms are crucial for a company aspiring to compete with giants like Google and Apple, this way they can tweek and tune their products to be higher quality. This is false. In actuality, showing constant praise and affection for Palm/Pre/WebOS is the way to go. And of course, the complete flaming/lynching of anyone complaining in the slightest of any problems they might have, regardless how severe is the golden rule.

Hope this helps you adjust to life on the Pre Central forum.
    I love this!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast