Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    +1. Should be an option anyways. Can't be wifi only sync because the Pixi doesn't have wifi. Need to be able to plug in Pre and sync to outlook at the very least. A fullbackup of Pre would be even better.

Though there are several ways to get that Outlook info on the Pre. Google sync, set up exchange, use chapura or other, etc. But Palm can't honestly expect their target market to know this stuff well enough to do or want to do.
    No need to get my MSO info to the pre as my Pre info is still on google. Pretty much mirrored # for # and word for word. I use MSO for my Touch Pro. I might just have to set up exchange. But man, the horror stories I've read about that!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    If your computer has wifi, you can use Pocket Mirror to sync locally. It syncs calender, contacts, and memos. It will also sync tasks soon. There are other options as well but I believe wifi on the computer is required for all of them.
    I have wifi. But why should I have to buy pocket mirror to sync my stuff when they exponentially tout that google will sync my contacts and calendars for free? It's not that I won't pay for it so I know that my stuff is backed up to sync, it's the principle. One of the sole reasons I bought the Pre was it's ease of use compared to my Touch Pro (don't get me started on that piece of crap). And so far this hasn't been easy.
    *looking around*
    Anybody need my help here? I have experience in the field of 'getting slammed for complaining'.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksand007 View Post
    While I do agree with you that contacting Palm is the best choice in most instances. My problem here, is that if anybody complains at all about the Pre or anything having to do with Palm...it gets met with about half a dozen responses vilifying the poster, like its their fault they have a faulty phone.

This board shouldnt just be a soapbox for those who are 100% satisfied with their Pre. If people makes posts like "lol omgzers I-Phone is super better" than of course I see the value of a ******-standoff.

But if someone is expressing their displeasure, and its a situation that warrants a customer to be ****ed...it shouldnt be treated as if the poster is insulting your mother or child. Granted, some people here are helpfull, and will actually research stuff themselves to give people a response that can possibly fix problems. Thats what these boards should be about...not just <3 for Palm.

Sorry for ranting. Im done, lol.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. Some people need to quickly remove the Pre from their anus and get back to reality.

I posted a thread for basically the same reason, and got a few comments with the same pre-pubescent mentality of it. As a forum, it's sad. The purpose here is to help move this phone and platform forward, not get on your knees for it, and when anyone raise a concern bash them in the head. Discuss it openly, offer suggestions with some worth, and help each other if possible.

It's obvious that the Apple forums are no better or worse than these, as represented by several 'fanatics' for the Palm camp.
    Yeah seriously. All I was looking for was a possible solution and help. Not...duh..ahuh...get a new phone....duh...hope it works for ya...duh ahuh...

I mean i like my Pre. The hardware on mine is acceptable and it runs great for a phone. Much better than my touch pro ever did. I'm just ticked at the fact that my phone, for some odd reason, won't connect to my google account to retrieve my stuff. I can manually enter them in but I shouldn't have too. Why should I, or anyone else, have to BUY an app to sync their stuff when palm touts the "cloud" for contactc/calendars sycing....for free. I realize palm is a small company but that should be no excuse. If Palm wants to compete with the big boys then they need to act like one and give us something to lean on instead of the cloud. My touch Pro on the other hand, doesn't give you a backup solution out of the box either, but from HTC is a free backup utility that will back up your whole phone, not just contacts. there are also other "free" backup utilities to use incase of problems like mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    See...it's comments like that that make you look like a fool The one thing I don't understand is that if you can't help or say something remotely helpful, why open your mouth?
    Settle down Gator, my comment was meant for the OP, not you. I should have quoted the OP though, my bad on that part.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Those that refuse to back up their data multiple ways are silly.

Just cause Palm doesn't have officail ways, doesn't mean there aren't...

1. Paid ways.
    2. Free ways.

Seriously. I really don't feel bad for anyone who lost their contacts at this point. Hell, my contacts aren't even on the Palm Profile. I have my stuff in Google contacts, and once a month I save the CSV of that as well.
    <<Lots of posts deleted.>>

If you guys want to discuss/debate the Pros & Cons of the Pre, then great.
    If you're here to 'thread crap' with your sarcastic one liners, then move along.

-Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Settle down Gator, my comment was meant for the OP, not you. I should have quoted the OP though, my bad on that part.
    It's cool man! I'm settled. A little miffed, but settled. Dammit I need more coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    <<Lots of posts deleted.>>

If you guys want to discuss/debate the Pros & Cons of the Pre, then great.
    If you're here to 'thread crap' with your sarcastic one liners, then move along.

-Berd
    Sorry about that, Berd. My post was just a very lame attempt to be funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Those that refuse to back up their data multiple ways are silly.

Just cause Palm doesn't have officail ways, doesn't mean there aren't...

1. Paid ways.
    2. Free ways.

Seriously. I really don't feel bad for anyone who lost their contacts at this point. Hell, my contacts aren't even on the Palm Profile. I have my stuff in Google contacts, and once a month I save the CSV of that as well.
    My stuff is backed up multiple ways. Just the only one that syncs is google. And yes, my contacts are on google contacts, not on palm. Just my phone won't sync to google. So saving the CSV file doesn't do me any good.
    My stuff is backed up multiple ways. Just the only one that syncs is google. And yes, my contacts are on google contacts, not on palm. Just my phone won't sync to google. So saving the CSV file doesn't do me any good.
    OOOOOH.

Hmmm...ok, i misunderstood your issue. Thats just odd.
    It's cool man! I'm settled. A little miffed, but settled. Dammit I need more coffee.
    It sounds like your photodialer issue is with the app itself and its compatibility with 1.3.1. Quickcontacts sort of had that same problem but the app developer quickly fixed the compatibility issue with 1.3.1 and released it a day or two later. Problem solved on that end.

I have my contacts backed up through Google and through my Outlook Exchange (actually two different Outlook accounts for work and they both work well for me on my Pre). My calendars sync instantly as well. I do know that many others have issues though and it doesn't always work that way.

Did your Google/calendars sync prior to 1.3.1?
    Yeah seriously. All I was looking for was a possible solution and help. Not...duh..ahuh...get a new phone....duh...hope it works for ya...duh ahuh...

I mean i like my Pre. The hardware on mine is acceptable and it runs great for a phone. Much better than my touch pro ever did. I'm just ticked at the fact that my phone, for some odd reason, won't connect to my google account to retrieve my stuff. I can manually enter them in but I shouldn't have too. Why should I, or anyone else, have to BUY an app to sync their stuff when palm touts the "cloud" for contactc/calendars sycing....for free. I realize palm is a small company but that should be no excuse. If Palm wants to compete with the big boys then they need to act like one and give us something to lean on instead of the cloud. My touch Pro on the other hand, doesn't give you a backup solution out of the box either, but from HTC is a free backup utility that will back up your whole phone, not just contacts. there are also other "free" backup utilities to use incase of problems like mine.
    Never experienced that. Then again, i've never doctored the phone. Only a full erase.

I would think it has something to do with your palm profile which i'm assuming you enter in after wiping. Try deleting your gmail accounts on your Pre. Redo entering in your gmail acct. Look in email, accounts, and contacts & accounts to make sure the username and passwords are there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    It sounds like your photodialer issue is with the app itself and its compatibility with 1.3.1. Quickcontacts sort of had that same problem but the app developer quickly fixed the compatibility issue with 1.3.1 and released it a day or two later. Problem solved on that end.

I have my contacts backed up through Google and through my Outlook Exchange (actually two different Outlook accounts for work and they both work well for me on my Pre). My calendars sync instantly as well. I do know that many others have issues though and it doesn't always work that way.

Did your Google/calendars sync prior to 1.3.1?
    Thanks for your help! I figured it was with photodialer. That's why I decided to start over to see if that would help. And it didn't. So I might breakdown and buy Quickcontacts if you say they came out with a fix for it so fast. That might just be the better option!

I don't have an option to sync with exchange and syncing with MSO is a no go. So my only options are to sync with google (which I do) and mirror it into MSO so I can put it back manually into phone if I have to. And YES! it did sync to google prior to the update and after as well. It was only after I wiped the phone and started over did it not want to sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Never experienced that. Then again, i've never doctored the phone. Only a full erase.

I would think it has something to do with your palm profile which i'm assuming you enter in after wiping. Try deleting your gmail accounts on your Pre. Redo entering in your gmail acct. Look in email, accounts, and contacts & accounts to make sure the username and passwords are there?
    Ya know, I thought I had erased the accounts more than 5 times already but after reading your post, I tried it again thinking what the hey, can't hurt...It worked!!! I don't understand but it worked this time around! it's all synced up now and good to go! Thank you!!
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    *looking around*
    Anybody need my help here? I have experience in the field of 'getting slammed for complaining'.
    I hear you, you definitely need to keep a flame suit close around here, but I need you to tell me what is the point of discussing this topic over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. This forum has provided several work-a-rounds. I don't know what else the OP expects us to do. I just use google contacts, and export CSV to form a back up.

I do think palm could do a much better job, as the OP alluded to, of explaining how to the use the cloud up front. In someways palm and a number of other companies are forcing us kicking and screaming into the cloud (and no I'm not implying people are whining, put the flame suit down). However the cloud appears to be where everything is going, especially with the release of Chrome OS. Which may be the ultimate beauty of google's strategy in that they are possibly the first company to neatly and competently package their cloud services.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    I hear you, you definitely need to keep a flame suit close around here, but I need you to tell me what is the point of discussing this topic over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. This forum has provided several work-a-rounds. I don't know what else the OP expects us to do. I just use google contacts, and export CSV to form a back up.

I do think palm could do a much better job, as the OP alluded to, of explaining how to the use the cloud up front. In someways palm and a number of other companies are forcing us kicking and screaming into the cloud (and no I'm not implying people are whining, put the flame suit down). However the cloud appears to be where everything is going, especially with the release of Chrome OS. Which may be the ultimate beauty of google's strategy in that they are possibly the first company to neatly and competently package their cloud services.
    I still prefer to hard backup my stuff on either an external drive or on DVD. The cloud is a good reference point to fast access to certain files but by no means the only way it should be done. I should be able to do what I need to do from my PC or Laptop without EVER connecting to the cloud/web. I am not a google fan so I will never try their chrome OS.
    I still prefer to hard backup my stuff on either an external drive or on DVD. The cloud is a good reference point to fast access to certain files but by no means the only way it should be done. I should be able to do what I need to do from my PC or Laptop without EVER connecting to the cloud/web. I am not a google fan so I will never try their chrome OS.
    Yeah the quick contacts app developer is very active in his thread and is always on top of issues with his app. You can try it for 14days for free and then choose whether or not to buy it (1.99 if I remember correctly).

For future reference (even though it's not a local backup), if you have to get a new Pre, make sure that it has same WEbOS Version that your original phone had. It seems that somewhere along the line, Palm didn't have this exception in their server routines causing people to not get their contacts back from the server (which in turn will wipe out the existing server contacts because it thinks you have changed your contacts on your Pre because it will eventually replace it with what's on your Pre currently, even if you only have entered a few contacts manually cause you never got yours from the servers to begin with).

Users have found that if the original Pre had 1.3.1 but the new Pre (out of box Pre that will replace your older one) has a previous version of the WebOS, the servers get confused and will not send you your contacts due to different OS version even though you log into your Palm Profile. Hopefully Palm has fixed this issue.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast