Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The news article posted on Pre Central states, "GPS data isnít the only thing that Sprint has logged and available, they also store subscriber IP data for a full 24 months. While the intent was to keep this data for a bill-by-the-megabyte plan (thank goodness for unlimited data), Sprint has also made that data available to both their marketing department and law enforcement. And if you happen to have a phone with a WAP browser, Sprint even has your URL history for the past two years."
    Is there a way to "anonymize" web browsing on the Pre?
    Visor->650->Pre
    oh please, unless you doing something crazy that would Obviously get you lubed up in the slammer (pun intended lol), there should be a reason to care. You be surprised how much of our Privacy has gone to hell. Might as well not use anything electric and live on a farm. :/
    Pre and Pixi don't use WAP browser.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    ok, but still, is there a way to be anonomous besides using start page to search?
    AT&T wish it had the 3G network to report on their coverage!!

Seriously, privacy is a big deal to me and I find it somewhat invasive that companies like Google and Sprint want to know as much about as they can. The only thing is, the only way to not give them info is to NOT use their services. So, by using the services, I have consented to them collecting data.

If you were naive enough to think otherwise, then this must be hard for you. I'm sorry. Do you need a moment while you shut off your computer and phone?
    I don't have any illusions of "privacy" when I'm using someone else's infrastructure, be that Google's search engine or Sprint's network. I don't expect someone to violate my property rights by entering my home and physicially spying on me, and that's why I have blinds that I can close so that nobody can see inside my house from the street.

This notion of "privacy" is quite overblown.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    hey, if you plan on doing something illegal, use ur brain, not your cell phone, turn it off! LOL
    lol
    It's amazing how many Americans accept the idea that their data could be sold out to LE without a warrant, or even to the highest bidder for a profit. We've given up so many of our rights with the mistaken belief that "if I'm not doing anything wrong, it's OK", no wonder companies think we deserve to lose them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    they know what you watch on tv too. So quit watching tv. They know where you drive if you have gps in your car. They know what you buy if you use a debit or credit card.

don't do anything wrong and don't worry about it.

forgot, they know what you do when your on the internet! Give it all up and be a bum. Its the only way to hide
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Quote Originally Posted by evilpinkeye View Post
    oh please, unless you doing something crazy that would Obviously get you lubed up in the slammer (pun intended lol), there should be a reason to care. You be surprised how much of our Privacy has gone to hell. Might as well not use anything electric and live on a farm. :/
    They don't use lube in the joint. Dry........
    Here boys is a man with experience and a ava to match

J/K lol
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It's amazing how many Americans accept the idea that their data could be sold out to LE without a warrant, or even to the highest bidder for a profit. We've given up so many of our rights with the mistaken belief that "if I'm not doing anything wrong, it's OK", no wonder companies think we deserve to lose them.
    Which "rights," precisely, are you referring to? I certainly believe that our rights are being shredded in many ways, and have been for some time, but I'm wondering which ones you're speaking about in the context of, say, having one's GPS coordinates passed to the authorities.

These coordinates are part of a system maintained by a private party and, to my knowledge, this private party has provided no assurances that they will be kept confidential. Since this information is not being maintained on anything resembling my own personal property, I'm wondering what rights I have regarding it. And, I do have the right to refrain from using said system--I can always choose not to own and use a cell phone.

Also, the authorities having access to this information is no different, really, than if they were to use old fashioned methods such as surveillance to ascertain our locations. The old "follow that car" routine is essentially the same as what's happening here--presumably, the GPS coordinates provide information on your whereabouts outside of your own private property. Getting the information from Sprint is essentially just a shortcut.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    quick - i need tinfoil!
    all of you make great arguments, however i beg to differ:

we are not granted a fair opportunity to opt out, cellphones and technology has become too relevant in every aspect of our society and because of the attractiveness of this technology and what it can do, these companies are using the same information they are collecting from millions of users and predicting purchase patterns, advertising almost to pin point accuracy and flooding our minds with useless programming using catchy beats and flashy attractive images and beautiful physical products. this is not a fair fight at all, granted we do have the option to not use any of this and be a bum or live on a farm or whatever takes us away from all of the bs but that is not what society is about nor is that what the idea of technology is about. Technology is a tool to help humanity advance into another realm of understanding and needless to say not only are we abusing this but we are letting people with the majority control of media, marketing, corporate influence abuse this tool for profit which in the end only makes our society stupider and a lot easier to manipulate. you want fairness, a co-op technology infrastructure, you want piece of mind deny them the opportunity of taking us by the ankles and turning us upside as we are entertained by you tube videos of fat kids eating farts on our latest 3g phone. I hate to sound like the typical paranoid guy but Orwellian truths are self evident.

"The people shouldnt be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of their people!" - V (V for Vendetta)
    Last edited by evictme; 12/03/2009 at 02:56 AM. Reason: addition
    There is an issue most people tend to oversee: it might be correct that if you don't do anything wrong, they can't catch you.

But.

What if you do something you THINK is legal but in fact is not (eventually because some law changed and you didn't notice)?

And what if you didn't do anything illegal but they think you did?

So, privacy is not a matter of "not doing anything wrong" to be save, but to be aware what kind of informations about you flow to whom when and why and how you may avoid it.

To get back to the original matter: do you really need the GPS chip enabled all the time? While the phone just lays around somewhere being idle? Do you really need to have the same nickname on google, facebook, twitter, the precentral forum and everywhere else? The same password? And how important is it, to access all these services from your phone?

The less information you leak, the less they can harm you.
    you can set a proxy. Our phones being linux supported means alot can be done to them to hide this stuff. Also be aware that many corporate heads remove the battery from their cell when going into important meeting cause they can still listen in on a powered down cell. Also be aware that onstar has been used to catch @ least one crime boss, hence some people wire up a switch.

that being said if we all did nothing "wrong" then how would we define riight? For instance belching is considered rude in america, but its natural and a compliment in some couuntries. So if I belch did I do something wrong?

finally, law does not make it right or wrong. Several countries ban guns, but is it wrong to use one for self defense?
    Don't forget those smart credit cards , obviously use it and they know but what about when they just decide to follow the signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by debilater View Post

What if you do something you THINK is legal but in fact is not (eventually because some law changed and you didn't notice)?
    ignorance of the law does not count, never has never will. ask anyone.

oh i did not know driving 90 here was illegal, i did not see a sign.

here is the one my 16 year old stepdaughter used the other day knowing damn well better. school zone? i did not see any flashing lights so i did not know, yea i saw the sign but it had no lights.

it was an accident when i ran that man over with my car i did not see him...what do you mean its illegal, i did not know so just give me a warning please.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Hint: The government is not mad at all cell phones are so popular.

just sayin'

(and all cell phone companies do this).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast