1.    #1  
    Pulled the flap off to charge the phone and low and behold a bit of plastic broken off at the same time. Now I see a bit of metal on the side of the pre body (bottom half). Have the insurance and a corporate store near by so a few questions.
    1. I figure I should just take it there and show them and with luck they will say it will be replaced correct?

2. I use google for my contacts but not 100% sure what I need to do to prep the phones data to ensure I don't lose anything. Heard the palm backup is not rock solid but hoping with my google cloud things will be ok.

3. Dumb splash data...let me guess are they still without a clue on how to allow us to backup the ID app? Options that would work to do that? Did ready a post a few months back that spoke about a way to backup the ID file but don't know the thread right now.

4. As sucky as the Notes pre app is I do have notes that I would like also.

I have to say, even though I'm keeping my pre it is a down grade compared to the pda function my treo 650 offered for memos...and a ID app that one can back up.

I have not installed any after market OS or backend hacks on my pre (was not looking to really).

Thanks and happy computing all.
    That plastic is entirely cosmetic; given that you can barely notice it's gone (I had no idea it was gone on mine; I just checked and behold; it was!) you should probably just not worry about it.
    Mines did the samething.
  4.    #4  
    Don't think we are on the same page or if we are then I happen to disagree. The plastic flap cover for the usb port is still there and dangles from the phone and pushs back in just fine. To the left of it, along the body of the phone (top part...thought it was bottom part before I just gave it a 2nd look) part of that side plastic casing of the phone had part of plastic break off the phone plus there is a hair line creak moving up towards the front face of the phone (as in my lcd screen area).

This is not good nor something I would just accept and not be considered about. No doubt, in time, it would start to creak the front screen
    Quote Originally Posted by Yickyaddy View Post
    Mines did the samething.
    Break?

I always take care with pulling the cover off...had a sprint tech hand me my phone once with this piece bent out.
    Quote Originally Posted by motor View Post
    Don't think we are on the same page or if we are then I happen to disagree. The plastic flap cover for the usb port is still there and dangles from the phone and pushs back in just fine. To the left of it, along the body of the phone (top part...thought it was bottom part before I just gave it a 2nd look) part of that side plastic casing of the phone had part of plastic break off the phone plus there is a hair line creak moving up towards the front face of the phone (as in my lcd screen area).

This is not good nor something I would just accept and not be considered about. No doubt, in time, it would start to creak the front screen
    If you want to waste time returning the phone over this, go ahead. I'm telling you though; the plastic is cosmetic and you can barely see it. It's not worth the trouble.

My friend's had this happen months ago, and his phone is still fine. As are many forum member's phones. The plastic piece has no structural purpose whatsoever.
  7.    #7  
    the rubber/plastic cover for the usb port is a simply thing to pull out and push back in (a bit of a pain but not bad). One would not think by pulling it out part of the top plastic housing on the side of the phone would break off (to the left of the usb cover).

So questions asked remain.
    If anyone can assist thanks in advance.
  8.    #8  
    read my typing
    I'm not talking about the usb cover. Heck that is still there and works fine.
    Part of my phone shell has broken off and just like a hair line creak on a windshield it will move over to the top of my lcd screen and creak it there also.
    Quote Originally Posted by motor View Post
    read my typing
    I'm not talking about the usb cover. Heck that is still there and works fine.
    Part of my phone shell has broken off and just like a hair line creak on a windshield it will move over to the top of my lcd screen and creak it there also.
    Okay, I give up. Post a photo if you can.

I'm not talking about the USB port cover either. I'm talking about a thin hair of plastic that's *under* the USB port. It serves to cover the underside of the USB port which is only visible when the phone is slid open. This is what broke off on mine; it has no structural purpose. If something else broke on yours I'd have to see it to judge; we may be talking about different things still.
    **crack

so you mean the face?? of the thin piece towards the back, under the usb cover?
    Geezz if its the face, did you drop it? Thats new..
    Quote Originally Posted by evilpinkeye View Post
    **crack

so you mean the face?? of the thin piece towards the back, under the usb cover?
    Geezz if its the face, did you drop it? Thats new..
    Yeah, if the face is cracked the OP should definitely exchange it ASAP. Just trying to save the OP from exchanging it if it's the same minor problem that happened to mine and a friend's.
    Cool, thats what I thought, in that case SWAP!!

Man, I wonder if there is an inside view of the refurb process lol
  13.    #13  
    Ok...pictures. Has this happend to other owners on their Pre phones? Sprint Corporate store says it will cost me $100 deductable to replace phone even with that insurance plan...that seems like too much $$$ to me considering the pda functionality I gave up coming over from a treo.

Not even 4 months into this new 2yr contact so it sort of sucks so far as my options go. Suggestions anyone ?
    Attached Images Attached Images