1.    #1  
    hey,

i am in australia. my pre is a german version. now i have all settings on i believe(location service is all switched on). but after i open google maps, first, i saw nothing but that position circle, i touched that location small circle, nothing still. i searched sydney, all maps came out. i touched that small location circle again, nothing!

i have an iphone and nokia e71, 71's gps is really good(though have to wait for 5 minites to wait for gps signal using ovia? map.)

for iphone, it uses agps, google maps too, but not like pre, so any ideas?

Thanks for all of your help to reply here. Now i have concluded sth here and i still need master to answer them.

let's compare. Pre has a build-in GPS model right? iphone doesn't. therefore, iphone uses AGPS+google maps to nevigate, right? so for pre, it should have two options a: AGPS+google maps and b: GPS+google maps, right? in my experience, (because i have both iphone and nokia e71), e71's navigation is really powerful but one thing needed to be remembered is that you have to wait at least 5 min for GPS signal. after signal comes in, it's perfect. as for iphone, it doesn't have that hardware, but google maps of iphone is very fast to respond (not too accurate though), still it really helps.

Now, pre's "unavailable' issue really is an issue, because i totally don't know what's going on on it. i have tried to wait in the open air and i have tried either turn on and off this and that. still, i can't use location service of google maps on pre. just a position point in the center of screen and a wholly blank.

HERE IS HOW IT IS FIXED:

The hint information is here:

Quote Originally Posted by dgraham98 View Post
    When at Location Service. did you check the Preference --> Locate Me Using ? Check off Both
    so after seeing the above post, i checked what the status of the said setting, i found only google service was ticked. i then unticked it and i got info like this:"turn on GPS?" i got no choice and proceed. so here it is: only GPS is ticked. i went out, under 3G conncection, i started google maps, as usual, the first image was USA and Canada map and some south America, still, i could see "unavailable". ignore this, i touched the small location circle, not too long like 10 sec i got my exact location. (Australia, THree service. 3G)
    AND don't forget auto location should be on.
    Last edited by jiajiahairui; 12/06/2009 at 12:26 AM.
    Could it be failing to get a fix? Or possibly getting an incorrect fix?

It sounds like the data is coming through ok if you can search and find Sydney maps but when you try to go to the current location it is giving somewhere out at sea with no roads etc.

Is it a small circle you see (indicating a true GPS fix and therefore something really wrong with the GPS in the phone) or a large one which would indicate it only knows the tower (or WiFi) location?

If it's a large circle it could be the tower or WiFi router sending bad location information which could confuse the GPS chip into never getting a true fix. Have you tried turning off WiFi and/or going to airplane mode and turning on just WiFi? That may help track down the problem.
  3.    #3  
    thank you for your reply
    1. what i said about small circle, it was the circle you touch to get your position like crosshair in iphone google maps.
    2. what i said about large circle, it was the circle indicating your approximate location in the map.

i have tired both with wifi on and off as well as under 3g inviroment. i even went out side in the open air waiting for GPS signal, but now google maps said that "YOUR CURRENT LOCATION IS UNAVAILABLE". SO all this made me to believe that the GPS can only be used in Germany? i also glanced a mate here posting that pre GPS in australia has serious issues, but he didn't put it clear.

i will try your method. and i ll keep you informed.
  4.    #4  
    i turned on airplane mode and then switched on wifi mode, but it still said "your current location is unavailable", by the way, the default image in the very begining is USA and Canada.
    Have you got location services enabled?

Go to location services app and make sure auto-locate is on.

I suspect if that is off then google maps won't even try to use the GPS.

EDIT: I think mine originally defaulted to off.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Have you got location services enabled?

Go to location services app and make sure auto-locate is on.

I suspect if that is off then google maps won't even try to use the GPS.

EDIT: I think mine originally defaulted to off.

yes, it's on. everything is on. besides, when i start the google map, it will remind me something like, i forget, "application needs to use your gps" and i confirmed, but still nothing but "not available" man...
    Ok, something seems to be wrong then. Perhaps another user down under can help. Maybe Rod over on WebOS internals?
    When at Location Service. did you check the Preference --> Locate Me Using ? Check off Both
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    There's info out there about a "Pre South-of-the-Equator GPS fiasco"...
    ... honestly, not quite understand. pre has a build-in GPS model, which i believe works around the globe, right? anyway, i gradually realize it's something to do with the webos system, need upgrade, i guess.
  10.    #10  
    as you advised, i checked and found only goolge serviced was checked, but your advice really triggered to think maybe i really don't need google service. i will only choose GPS and i will let you know after i test it.

thank you
  11.    #11  
    i tried, we must keep at least one of them. can't check both off.
    Quote Originally Posted by jiajiahairui View Post
    i tried, we must keep at least one of them. can't check both off.
    did you find a fix yet?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    did you find a fix yet?
    already fixed, see my post.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Thanks for sorting this out! I had to choose one = GPS and it worked in Adelaide. I had a bluetooth GPS Rx with my Centro but the Pre seemed to pick up the signal faster.
    I have an AT&T Palm Pre Plus and I'm using it in Australia on Telstra. I have this exact issue and coming from an iPhone I find it quite frustrating that I can only use GPS which needs visibility of the sky to work. My iPhone 3GS gets immediate (but not 100% accurate) coords indoors.

is there any way to get the Pre Plus to do the same? Does it even do cell triangulation?

Thanks,
    shane.