Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all the application developers,
    Is it possible to make the center button more useful. I slide my thumb up on the gesture area to go to the card view and hence never ever use my center button. Can someone please think of a better use of the center button like linking it to an application, or launch the applications windows ... or something else ... its so useless ... why have they even provided a center button if they couldnt think of a good use for it ...
    It does have uses. When the keyboard is out, but the screen is off, pressing the center button wakes the screen. It also minimizes notifications and switches from app view to card view.

if you wanted more than all that, it can't be done yet. There's no API mapped out for it yet in the SDK.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    install the LED notifications patch
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Aside from the LED Notifications Patch and looking good when I use the gesture area, I never touch it...

I suppose those two functions are enough for me though! I would however like to see what some clever dev comes up with for what the center button could do.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  5.    #5  
    too bad they havent provided API mapped to center button ... i feel gesture area is so powerful and useful that they should come up with some good use for center button ... the uses that u've mentioned are implemented but I feel that they just dont justify the presence of the button ...
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitulrmehta View Post
    too bad they havent provided API mapped to center button ... i feel gesture area is so powerful and useful that they should come up with some good use for center button ... the uses that u've mentioned are implemented but I feel that they just dont justify the presence of the button ...
    That could be why the button was removed from the Pixi...
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I think it would be perfect for if/when there are voice commands for the pre. A good,solid, easy to find physical button in the car to enable voice prompts seems like a good marriage. The lack of it on the Pixi in my opinion would probably frustrate and make driving trying to enable such a feature without an easy to find physical button pretty dangerous
    Also, it makes gestures without looking easier--i feel the ball, I know I'm in the right spot.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post
    Also, it makes gestures without looking easier--i feel the ball, I know I'm in the right spot.
    you are just making my point ... there is no good use for button rather than to identify the gesture area ... ... I hope what Brownbear50 said is true and we have voice commands ... that would be awesome (only if they work as they are supposed to) .....
    If you hold it for a few seconds it enables the GPU
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    If you hold it for a few seconds it enables the GPU
    ... and it makes your Pre feel REALLY, REALLY appreciated!

Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Ever since getting my Pre I have wished the center button (ball) would move the cursor around in a text message or email, for editing. Its aggravating to review your text message or (more likely) your email message only to find a miss-spelling in the middle of the body of the email. You have to touch the screen sometimes a few times to get the cursor close to what needs editing, then usually backspace to get to the part needing editing, re-type the part needing editing and all the text erased because back spacing was necessary.

Just make the center ball able to move the cursor around, left, right, through characters, up, down from one line of text to another.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Ever since getting my Pre I have wished the center button (ball) would move the cursor around in a text message or email, for editing. Its aggravating to review your text message or (more likely) your email message only to find a miss-spelling in the middle of the body of the email. You have to touch the screen sometimes a few times to get the cursor close to what needs editing, then usually backspace to get to the part needing editing, re-type the part needing editing and all the text erased because back spacing was necessary.

Just make the center ball able to move the cursor around, left, right, through characters, up, down from one line of text to another.
    cant be done its a button not trackball

If you hold the Orange key while in an active text field, you can move the cursor around. Just hold Orange and move your finger around on the screen. It works pretty well for me, at least...

if you hold down the orange button you can move the cursor around on the touchscreen easier
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    cant be done its a button not trackball
    But it should have been a trackball! Like the Hero.....
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    they should make it a optional button. almost every command you can do on the phone like opening a certain app or use it for the camera, phone, or whatever can be launched for it. hold the button down for x amount of seconds and it opens the menu for it where any command can be inputted for it. if it is even possible, it can be used for up to x amount of button presses to shortcut as many apps or phone options. for example, push it once for phone, twice for camera, three times for pandora, etc. it should be another way to make the pre more customizeable.

...but i imagine it would be difficult to do that...
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    If you hold the Orange key while in an active text field, you can move the cursor around. Just hold Orange and move your finger around on the screen. It works pretty well for me, at least...
    I didnt know that, thanks! i have run into the situation to edit the middle of a document a few times and didnt have too much trouble just touching where i wanted to edit but this is much easier!
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post
    i feel the ball, I know I'm in the right spot.
    Creative editing FTW.

I actually use the button to minimize/maximize cards since it's how I first started using the Pre and it's hard to unlearn now. The up gesture just doesn't come naturally to me, although I'd adjust if the button wasn't there.

I would love to see the front button be mappable to turn on the screen rather than the power button which feels like it's going to break every time I use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick View Post
    But it should have been a trackball! Like the Hero.....
    NO! God no! No fricken trac ball! That's one more reason why I love this phone....can't stand moving around with a trac ball! Hate the Blackberry...hate the HTC...somebody shoot me already!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast