Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    with the $100 deductible whenever you make a claim, isn't it throwing money away to pay $7 a month when a brand new Pre can be had for less than the cost of the deductible?

what exactly am I paying for?
    With TEP, you will often get a replacement WITHOUT any deductible in a Sprint store. That has been my experience over the years. If there is obvious physical damage, you will have to use insurance, but most of my failures have been freely replaced.

Also, when you have a failure that requires the deductible, after the model is gone. You get a free upgrade to the latest. I've had this happen a few times over the last decade. So my experience has been a break even on cost, without ever having a theft or other major claim other than device failure.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Good luck getting a pre for less than that without ANOTHER 2 year agreement..
    I.E. to get a pre for less than $100 you need to sign a 2 year agreement with someone and you allready have one.. so now you are paying for two plans???
    Provide a link to brand new (not used or refurb) Pre under a 100 with no contract...maybe i'll buy one
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    With TEP, you will often get a replacement WITHOUT any deductible in a Sprint store.
    so I can get a refurb? I mean, yeah, that's nice and all, but with the rate at which people have been experiencing all manner of malfunctions with this phone, why would anyone want a refurb? just seems like a ****ty deal.

hell, I'm practically wondering why anyone would want a new one at this point
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    24*7=168+100(deductable)=268
    549.99-268=281.99

this is how much you save by having insurance providing you pay your insurance for two years and happen to loose/water damage/physically damage and need to pay the dedectable.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    24*7=168+100(deductable)=268
    549.99-268=281.99

this is how much you save by having insurance providing you pay your insurance for two years and happen to loose/water damage/physically damage and need to pay the dedectable.
    does that $281.99 require a new contract?
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    does that $281.99 require a new contract?
    No that is the total you would have to pay over two years plus the deductable to replace your phone.

There are a bunch of reason to exchange your phone free of charge. Insurance is worth it . Sprint can't help you very much without it. If you need to go through the manuf. warranty you will have to send it to them (palm) and will be without a phone in the meantime.
    I've had 8-10 exchanges over the years, always with TEP style insurance. The only time I've had to pay deductible is with Verizon, but they hurt my wallet in so many ways that it just didn't matter.

I have never paid a deductible with Sprint and at least 6 replacements with them.

My Wife, accidentally baptized my 755p with lemonade. Replaced with no cost. I expected to pay the deductible on that one.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    The thing is, all Pre users are Sprint Premier customers, which enables upgrades every year.

As long as you're not abusive to your electronics, it's pretty pointless.

The manufacturer warranty is a year, which should cover you from all manufacturer defects, though in practice it's not always so clear.

With the deductible being $100, and the cost being $7 per month, if you need a replacement after a year, you'll have paid $184. As a Sprint Premier subscriber, you'll pay the discounted $150 after that same year to buy a new Pre (assuming Sprint's prices don't decrease in that time). In other words, money-wise, you're probably better off not having insurance if you can last the first year.

Besides that, if a new model Pre comes out in that time, using the insurance means that you'll end up spending the same money you could've used towards upgrading, but still only get a refurbished version of the same old model.

Of course, if you're like my family and frequently leave your phone in your pocket while swimming or things like that, then you'll want the insurance.

I personally got rid of the insurance a little over a year ago, and haven't had any issues yet. I know if there's no signs of abuse, that if you bring it to a store they're supposed to swap out the phone, but the three times I had issues with Treos back in the day, I had to fight with them before they'd agree to replace it without charging the deductible.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 12/02/2009 at 02:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    so I can get a refurb? I mean, yeah, that's nice and all, but with the rate at which people have been experiencing all manner of malfunctions with this phone, why would anyone want a refurb? just seems like a ****ty deal.

hell, I'm practically wondering why anyone would want a new one at this point

I have seen repair facilities where phones are refurbished. Frankly, if the facility that does the refurb is a good one (no reason to think it was a bad one - I never had a bad refurb phone) the refurb phone is likely to be better than NIB. I would not worry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickC5 View Post
    I have seen repair facilities where phones are refurbished. Frankly, if the facility that does the refurb is a good one (no reason to think it was a bad one - I never had a bad refurb phone) the refurb phone is likely to be better than NIB. I would not worry about that.
    Sprint says that the "sealed form factor" of the Pre makes repairs tough and the potential for damage high; therefore, it's an exchange-only phone. No repairs will be attempted on damaged or defective phones.
    My "policy" for smartphones has been to pay for TEP, until I'm eligible for a new phone, then I drop it because of the deductible.
    I still have TEP for $7 / month. I don't know if I should keep it anymore either. I did get this refurb as my second Pre- without any hassle by taking it to sprint and they swapped it on the spot free of charge, no deductible as there wasn't any water damage.

I decided that I am going to wait however long it takes until Sprint gets the Pre3, but my 2nd Pre- is falling apart like there's no tomorrow. I got it in November 2010 which means my first Pre- lasted 1-1/2 years! This refurb though was dropped on the top left corner and is missing a piece of the plastic, and also like we all know, the dag gone crack by the usb port is getting worse and worse. It now over 1 inch onto the screen with two cracks! I most likely will need another in this long awaiting game with the Pre3 on Sprint. I decided that I will wait as long as it takes until (hopefully they do) pick up the Pre3. Who is in charge over there at Sprint? How in the world would they not want the best OS out there on their network. With the buzz that the VEER will give with a boost to WebOS on ATT, I believe WebOS is on a comeback, even though a friend of mine in Cali said he played with the Veer at ATT and didn't like it too much. Said it was sluggish, but the Pre3 will not be like that. I'm hoping that WebOS is going to finally show true smart phone users it's amazing capabilities with these devices coming out soon. I also am definitely getting the Touchpad. I love the video on it. WebOS is the way of the future. Come on HP, get your marketing going dag nabbit!

Anyway, to keep TEP or not, that is the question. I'm not even sure what I'm going to do if my Pre- dies again, and there are no more available. Is that even a possiblilty? Should I buy an extra on Ebay in the meantime in case that happens?
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.