Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Sounds like you were not ready for a 1st generation phone with a new OS. GPU support (although more than likely they're waiting for flash) and slightly larger battery increase in mAh (not physical size) would've been nice. The build quality is where Palm fumbled. No excuse for that one!

Video recording is coming soon from Palm as evidenced by the inclusion of the Linux binaries in the last WebOS update (not too mention the already available Precorder from homebrews).

Flash is not Palm's fault, this is on adobe. Flash 10.1 is already out on beta and the Pre will have it early next year. You don't want the previous flash for mobile, it's a POS. Trust me, you want adobe to get it right this time.

But it's all good, hopefully you're new one will show you more love!

And about Apple, yes sir, their shoddy network and the most dropped calls (iphone) with their ridiculous plan prices can kiss my tookus!
    I knew the risk of a 1st gen OS, but was hopeful that the updates would roll out. I'm confident that WebOS has potential, just build it into a better phone, that's all. I would have liked a little more customization, but I loved the tweaks I had on it and got really used to how WebOS worked. I can only hope for a smooth transition to my next phone.

And yes, hopefully, this is the last phone I'll be messing with for some time!
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
    Not true. Ask to speak with an Advanced technician and explain how many Pres you have gone through and that you would like to have them put in a request to switch to a different phone. They will ask for some info and fill out a form and within 24-48 hours you will get an answer. If it is approved they ship it out Next Day Air just like your refurbs and that's that.

The number I called was 1-888-211-4727 and then choose option 3 for Tech Support and then 0 and you will get a live person instead of the automated crap. Ask if they are an Advanced Technician and if not just say you are on your 3rd Pre and having way too many issues and need to speak with them. Once you get to them explain all the problems you have had and then ask for a request to switch to a different style phone.

Lemme know how that goes for you.
    wait, i can get sprint to switch my crappy pre to a refurb. hero? is that even possible?

i got my pre back in august (my parents paid full price and gave it to me as a present) and i have no tep.

i haven't actually done any replacements (and it seems like the same old problems keep occurring in the replacements. plus, ive been busy during this semester and didnt wanna bother going through the problems of setting up my new palm profile to that pre)

hardware-wise, the pre is the worst thing ive seen. software-wise, unarguably one of the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
    I knew the risk of a 1st gen OS, but was hopeful that the updates would roll out. I'm confident that WebOS has potential, just build it into a better phone, that's all. I would have liked a little more customization, but I loved the tweaks I had on it and got really used to how WebOS worked. I can only hope for a smooth transition to my next phone.

And yes, hopefully, this is the last phone I'll be messing with for some time!
    Yep, I'm with you there. Build quality is lacking for sure! Put this WebOS into a solid build of a phone and now you're speaking my language!!!!!! lol

Good luck with the new one bro! Hope it shows you more love!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmare View Post

I'll keep you all posted, I'm going to put a call into Sprint tonight

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT UPDATE!!!!

I have a hunch you're not ready for bleeding edge technology.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Not true. Ask to speak with an Advanced technician and explain how many Pres you have gone through and that you would like to have them put in a request to switch to a different phone. They will ask for some info and fill out a form and within 24-48 hours you will get an answer. If it is approved they ship it out Next Day Air just like your refurbs and that's that.

The number I called was 1-888-211-4727 and then choose option 3 for Tech Support and then 0 and you will get a live person instead of the automated crap. Ask if they are an Advanced Technician and if not just say you are on your 3rd Pre and having way too many issues and need to speak with them. Once you get to them explain all the problems you have had and then ask for a request to switch to a different style phone.

Lemme know how that goes for you.
    My 4th pre is due in the mail tomorrow.

I talked to 7 different people from sprint call center, and every single one of them told me all my pre's were going to be replaced with another pre and there was no way to change models.

I was also told, because i've gotten 3 exchanges in 4 months.... they cannot ship out another phone to me (even if my newer one breaks) until a 6-month period has passed.
  6.    #66  
    I will say this, the guy I spoke with on the phone today was awesome. He was by far the best help I've had from Sprint. It's not their fault, so don't call and scream at them , as they don't build the phones.

I hope that at the end of the day, Palm gets wind of these issues, makes a model revision, and steps the Pre up to a new level. It's a few steps from being a truly great machine, and I will definitely keep an eye on it should a future revision work out all the bugs.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigballer8526 View Post
    wait, i can get sprint to switch my crappy pre to a refurb. hero? is that even possible?

i got my pre back in august (my parents paid full price and gave it to me as a present) and i have no tep.

i haven't actually done any replacements (and it seems like the same old problems keep occurring in the replacements. plus, ive been busy during this semester and didnt wanna bother going through the problems of setting up my new palm profile to that pre)

hardware-wise, the pre is the worst thing ive seen. software-wise, unarguably one of the best.
    You need to have had repeated issues with the phone in order to be considered for a switch. Their policy is once you hit the 3rd bad phone they can request to switch you to a different phone. I have been told this by numerous people over the phone from Support and in person from reps at the store near me.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgarrell View Post
    My 4th pre is due in the mail tomorrow.

I talked to 7 different people from sprint call center, and every single one of them told me all my pre's were going to be replaced with another pre and there was no way to change models.
    You either need to speak with a rep in a local store or retentions then because it is their policy to follow the "3 Strike Rule" in regards to replacements. It's not a guarantee you will get a different phone, but it is a guarantee they will fill out a request for you. Be firm, but polite and you will have a better outcome then going in guns blazing.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    You need to have had repeated issues with the phone in order to be considered for a switch. Their policy is once you hit the 3rd bad phone they can request to switch you to a different phone. I have been told this by numerous people over the phone from Support and in person from reps at the store near me.

You either need to speak with a rep in a local store or retentions then because it is their policy to follow the "3 Strike Rule" in regards to replacements. It's not a guarantee you will get a different phone, but it is a guarantee they will fill out a request for you. Be firm, but polite and you will have a better outcome then going in guns blazing.
    The store was very good to me, but informed me that they have a set list of phones they could swap out the defective palm pre's for..... and that list only includes the palm pre. Manager told me to give the call center a call.....

So I called the call center, and they informed me I could only get a pre replaced with another pre. If I wanted to upgrade I get $75 off a phone in 8 months. Then they also told me, that because i've have 3 exchanges in the last 6 months.... that the computer locks them out from sending any replacement phones out until a full 6-month period has passed.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    3 won't be that bad. i've been having a really bad oreo effect one week after i got the phone and people here seem to switch their phones everyday.

by what warranty date do they use? the warranty on my phone says "07/01/09" so basically if i have had 3 defective pres (which there isn't a pre to date that seems to have a subpar build quality) by july, they'll finally send in a request to switch to a different model?
  10.    #70  
    See, now after hearing more from people, I'm starting to think about calling back in and trying another avenue of attack. I don't want to burn my upgrade eligibility right now with a new phone, since I have another on my plan that needs replacing more than the Pre (it's a Centro, go figure). I am rethinking it, and the more I think about it, the more I don't like the idea of paying up front again for a phone, as well as renewing my contract. I may follow Kamen's advice and try to talk to someone that way.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Pretty sure I launch them the same way I do on the Pre (tapping an icon).

So much of this is subjective. What you call "clunky", I've learned to appreciate as "robust." It's great going into app menus and seeing options other than a greyed out "Cut/Copy/Paste". It's also great leaving apps and web browser windows open without being told I CANNOT open any more, even if I have just ONE or even NO programs running.
    Yes , but please have someone fix the browser on the HERO please.
    I can live with half finished "Cut and Paste" rather than the half finished browser.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And the notion that the Hero is not a good PHONE when it has a faster, more functional dialing app, MUCH better cell radio, and MUCH better 3G radio that holds signals in place where the Pre can't acquire EVDO at all is simply laughable.

But I tell you...you put WebOS on a piece of hardware comparable to the Hero and actually finish it....now we're talking.
    Yes , dump the WebOS on HD2 , then we are talking.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Yes , but please have someone fix the browser on the HERO please.
    I can live with half finished "Cut and Paste" rather than the half finished browser.
    Nice try, but the browser on Android 1.5 on the Hero is hardly half-finished. It renders some pages slower due the combination of:

1. TRUE multitasking where I have multiple programs open 24/7, most of which have been open for quite some time.
    2. A slower processor than the Pre.
    3. Flash Lite being enabled on every page (an HTC mistake) with no way to turn it off.
    4. The browser rendering pages by default zoomed in to an "optimal" readability and then reformatting all text onscreen to fit it.

It also scrolls and pinches and zooms choppier at times. There's no doubt about it. But it also renders all text at a comfortably legible level regardless of where or how zoomed you are on the page. The Pre rearranges it on a double-tap and no more. The Hero browser also has scroll bars so you know where you are on the page. Android keeps more current builds of WebKit coming, and soon the Hero will have the 2.1 browser which corrects a lot of these errors, along with the same Flash mobile the Pre will have.

By contrast, how long will it take Palm to finish menus and missing graphics from WebOS? We're at 6 months and counting.
    Quote Originally Posted by darksniper404 View Post
    I would get an iPhone if I were you. I got a Pre for my birthday and was very excited. Worked for 2 hours, on the phone trying to get it fixed. Bassicly customer service said "**** you were busy". So I returned got an iPhone and could never want more.
    So, why are you here???
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    Reading these posts makes me consider ditching my Pre when I get it back from repair
    Reading these posts make me wonder what the hell you people are doing to screw up your phones??

I've dropped my Pre on concrete (juggling keys, Pre and daughter.. daughter took priority) and I have no problems with it. Hell again.. she's even gotten her hands on it (18months) and it still works about* as well as new *needs a bit of a drooly hand cleaning tho.

The power button works, the keypad works, I haven't broken the USB cover or plastic sliver.. because I try to be as careful with it as possible.

Seriously.. if you're on your 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc, it's not the phone, it's you. Stop abusing your phone (and work on the buyers remorse/instant gratification issues while you're at it ).
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post
    Reading these posts make me wonder what the hell you people are doing to screw up your phones??

I've dropped my Pre on concrete (juggling keys, Pre and daughter.. daughter took priority) and I have no problems with it. Hell again.. she's even gotten her hands on it (18months) and it still works about* as well as new *needs a bit of a drooly hand cleaning tho.

The power button works, the keypad works, I haven't broken the USB cover or plastic sliver.. because I try to be as careful with it as possible.

Seriously.. if you're on your 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc, it's not the phone, it's you. Stop abusing your phone (and work on the buyers remorse/instant gratification issues while you're at it ).
    My phone is in mint condition and had never been dropped or abused. It spend most of its time on the Touchstone or in a pocket.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Same with me. None of the issues I have had were caused by me nor were they cosmetic. They have been defective phones from the start with bad chips in them or something else. As someone said, it was a bad idea for either Palm or Sprint (whoever decided) to keep putting defective phones back in the cycle as refurbs to begin with. So if anyone is to blame it should be them.
  17.    #77  
    Same with me. None of the issues I have had were caused by me nor were they cosmetic. They have been defective phones from the start with bad chips in them or something else. As someone said, it was a bad idea for either Palm or Sprint (whoever decided) to keep putting defective phones back in the cycle as refurbs to begin with. So if anyone is to blame it should be them.
    IMO, Sprint needs to put their foot down and stop with the sub-par replacement phones. I sincerely hope someone is doing a case study of the failure rates of refurb'ed Pre's, and I'd bet you see a higher rate than most. Both companies need to get their heads on straight if they want to be profitable and successful in the future.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post

Phones break.... or malfunction. There is no such thing as a perfect phone.

I'm on my 4th pre now, and all the issue's I have had on my other pre's were issues that could have been easily repaired (headphone jack dying for example) however, all the sprint stores around me are not allowed to attempt repairs on these phones. The tech managers tell me thier current policy is to replace the pre's and ship the "broken" ones back to palm without sprint ever attempting to open them.

I don't know if its a thing in my area (Mass.) but if all pre's having issues have to be shipped back to palm instead of being repaired... that can possibly be why alot of people or on thier 2nd/3rd/4th pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    BB don't just "work" in my opinion.

I went through multiple Curves when I had my BB. Also, the Tour has a trackball issue.

I dunno, i feel every smartphone in general has some kind of issue. I've always had to replace a smartphone at least once.
    Interesting. What problem did you have with your Curve? My wife and I both have employer issued GSM Curves and have never had an issue with them or the older side wheel models we used to have. Some of my coworkers are walking around with six year old side wheel Blackberries. They probably wish they had problems so they could get them replaced.

I have heard bad things about the 1st gen Storm but I am not sure why anyone would want a BB without a keyboard anyway.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I have two great days of Customer Service from Sprint and then it goes right back to being crap. I am still waiting to hear back about my request that was put in and per the tech if I didn't hear from her this afternoon to call so I did. I kept getting bounced around to different departments because no one knew how to check the status. I finally get a woman who says she sees the notes about the request, but cannot see the actually request. After putting me on hold for 5 minutes she comes back to tell me that I will need to speak with the original tech who put the request in and she would email her and I should get a call from her in about an hour. She also stated she would call back in an hour as well to do a follow up. Over two hours pass and just as I am about to call back I get a call from the lady I spoke with earlier who is doing the follow up. I told her how I never got a call back and her resolution was to patch me to an Escalation Manager who will call me in 4 to 5 business days. All I want to know is if my request was accepted or not. This is making me crazy mad. I have dealt with their Escalation team in the past and have had nothing but problems with them calling me back within the time frame given. I am gonna try calling Sprint again in about an hour and see if I can get somewhere else with this.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast