Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    You're probably better off with the BBerry.

The Hero is another poor excuse for a phone from HTC. Android or not, it's clunky, slow, laggy, browser is no comparison for WEbOS or iphones and it's just not a good phone. Great that Android has a x-amount of apps but it doesn't really matter if you're going to choose a platform/device that doesn't execute them well.

My one complaint with my Pre is that the hardware/build quality is not robust. It's fragile and I'm constantly weary of dropping the phone. If WebOS could use someone else's build quality but have WebOS at the heart, that'd be something.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Seriously, what on earth do you guys do to break 7 phones. Every person I know with a Pre has had zero problems (and thats real people, not internet associates). I personnally have dropped my pre 3 times (without a case) and it has a small crack but thats my fault, not the hardware. But I had to laugh at my work associate who got a 3GS and yesterday came to work and cried because it bricked due to some failure.
    If somehow that first Pre goes bad, then its refurb after refurb. Since they can't be repaired according to Sprint, they're just recycled. One's defective Pre is another one's new refurb.
    I'm right there with the original poster. I went through 3 Pre's since launch with all types of problems. Loose slider, shutting off when closing. Had a screen completely go out and half of the keyboard went dead. When activating the 4th one I lost all but 8 contacts. Two of which were Sprint Customer Care. I called up Sprint and pulled the premier customer card, and now I have another Pre in the mail along with a brand new Hero. I'm jumping on the Android train, unfortunately I feel like the WebOS train is one to no where. With terrible hardware and a serious lack of quality apps, I'm pretty sure that I'm saying goodbye to WebOS for good. It was real, it was fun, but it wasn't real fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    The Hero is another poor excuse for a phone from HTC. Android or not, it's clunky, slow, laggy, browser is no comparison for WEbOS or iphones and it's just not a good phone. Great that Android has a x-amount of apps but it doesn't really matter if you're going to choose a platform/device that doesn't execute them well.
    Not sure what you mean by this. The apps on Android execute just fine. Some of them come with widgets that increase functionality even further. Most of the ones that matter are free. Pretty sure I launch them the same way I do on the Pre (tapping an icon).

So much of this is subjective. What you call "clunky", I've learned to appreciate as "robust." It's great going into app menus and seeing options other than a greyed out "Cut/Copy/Paste". It's also great leaving apps and web browser windows open without being told I CANNOT open any more, even if I have just ONE or even NO programs running.

And the notion that the Hero is not a good PHONE when it has a faster, more functional dialing app, MUCH better cell radio, and MUCH better 3G radio that holds signals in place where the Pre can't acquire EVDO at all is simply laughable.

But I tell you...you put WebOS on a piece of hardware comparable to the Hero and actually finish it....now we're talking.
  5.    #45  
    Well, at this point, I'm going to hope (and demand if possible) that I get a new phone. I'm not doing another refurb, for that very reason. The vicious circle of refurbs that we all seem to deal with is just getting old really fast.

As for the Hero, I didn't see any issue with speed compared to the Pre. The store had them side by side, and they both performed extremely well. I still haven't played with the Tour.

Someone said it best, it seems like all these phones have their issues, it's just figuring out which one you want to deal with.

I may consider a NEW pre, but another refurb is out of the question. I had to have to try and figure out what to do with my Touchstone...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this. The apps on Android execute just fine. Some of them come with widgets that increase functionality even further. Most of the ones that matter are free. Pretty sure I launch them the same way I do on the Pre (tapping an icon).

So much of this is subjective. What you call "clunky", I've learned to appreciate as "robust." It's great going into app menus and seeing options other than a greyed out "Cut/Copy/Paste". It's also great leaving apps and web browser windows open without being told I CANNOT open any more, even if I have just ONE or even NO programs running.

And the notion that the Hero is not a good PHONE when it has a faster, more functional dialing app, MUCH better cell radio, and MUCH better 3G radio that holds signals in place where the Pre can't acquire EVDO at all is simply laughable.

But I tell you...you put WebOS on a piece of hardware comparable to the Hero and actually finish it....now we're talking.
    Oops, what I meant is that executing them on the Hero, not Android in general. I was being device specific.

Also, most phones have a better radio as the Pre has needed a radio tweak since launch day.

Cut/copy/paste etc and now you're getting into comparing an OS that has matured and been around to an OS that is merely 6months old and very immature.

WebOS and better hardware (I mentioned this earlier in a different thread) and yes sir, now you're speaking my language!!!! LOL
    Still running a launch day Pre, with mucho patches and no problems.
  8.    #48  
    Exactly, WebOS with a robust phone and proper finish build, including GPU support, Flash, video recording, and a slightly bigger battery, and you'd have me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
    Exactly, WebOS with a robust phone and proper finish build, including GPU support, Flash, video recording, and a slightly bigger battery, and you'd have me.
    Yep, a better build and i might be there too. Hope Palm has something in mind way before June though. Whether its a 3rd form factor or revised Pre.
    I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Had mine for 5 weeks, dropped it twice on office carpeting (low pile, no pad), and so far it's had no problems. Although in another thread I read where the power button should 'click'? Mine never did from day one, however it shuts off and on like it 'should'.
  11.    #51  
    Got ahold of Sprint, and after talking with a few reps, got the cost of the Pre given back and a credit for my troubles. I'll be heading up tonight to look at a new phone and mailing this one back when I get the new one. Still leaning towards the Hero, but time will tell.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Well, at this point, I'm going to hope (and demand if possible) that I get a new phone. I'm not doing another refurb, for that very reason. The vicious circle of refurbs that we all seem to deal with is just getting old really fast.
    If it eases your mind at all, I just called Sprint to see if my request was accepted or not (I am impatient and didn't want to wait for a call from them) and the guy told me that when you switch to a different style phone they give you a new one and not a refurb. Refurbs are only used as replacements to defective models. Also since the Hero is only a few months old they don't have many refurbs floating around so even some people who need to replace their Hero for whatever reason have been getting new ones instead of refurbs. I hope he was being truthful. I guess I shall find out once I get the call and if I was approved to switch.
    I would get an iPhone if I were you. I got a Pre for my birthday and was very excited. Worked for 2 hours, on the phone trying to get it fixed. Bassicly customer service said "**** you were busy". So I returned got an iPhone and could never want more.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
    If it eases your mind at all, I just called Sprint to see if my request was accepted or not (I am impatient and didn't want to wait for a call from them) and the guy told me that when you switch to a different style phone they give you a new one and not a refurb. Refurbs are only used as replacements to defective models. Also since the Hero is only a few months old they don't have many refurbs floating around so even some people who need to replace their Hero for whatever reason have been getting new ones instead of refurbs. I hope he was being truthful. I guess I shall find out once I get the call and if I was approved to switch.
    What dept. did you call? I called the *2 line and got transferred around, not sure if that was the best way to go. I was also told that they couldn't just send me a new phone, but I'd have to buy one and get credited for the cost through my bill.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darksniper404 View Post
    I would get an iPhone if I were you. I got a Pre for my birthday and was very excited. Worked for 2 hours, on the phone trying to get it fixed. Bassicly customer service said "**** you were busy". So I returned got an iPhone and could never want more.
    I honestly cannot believe that story at all. I have had my fair share of crappy CSRs with Sprint to where they didn't know what they were doing, but none that ever told me to basically "f-off" and that they were too busy to assist me.

If they don't have the knowledge then they will transfer you to someone on the Advanced team. That's how it works in tech support. You get a Frontline guy who basically will search for Known Issues in the Knowledge Base and if they cannot find something to fix the issue they will pass you to the Advanced team who can do more in depth troubleshooting.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by darksniper404 View Post
    I don't care for Apple, and I especially don't care for AT&T.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    What dept. did you call? I called the *2 line and got transferred around, not sure if that was the best way to go. I was also told that they couldn't just send me a new phone, but I'd have to buy one and get credited for the cost through my bill.
    Not true. Ask to speak with an Advanced technician and explain how many Pres you have gone through and that you would like to have them put in a request to switch to a different phone. They will ask for some info and fill out a form and within 24-48 hours you will get an answer. If it is approved they ship it out Next Day Air just like your refurbs and that's that.

The number I called was 1-888-211-4727 and then choose option 3 for Tech Support and then 0 and you will get a live person instead of the automated crap. Ask if they are an Advanced Technician and if not just say you are on your 3rd Pre and having way too many issues and need to speak with them. Once you get to them explain all the problems you have had and then ask for a request to switch to a different style phone.

Lemme know how that goes for you.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I don't care for Apple, and I especially don't care for AT&T.
    Agreed. Especially in S.E. Michigan the service is pretty crappy here. I have a few friends at work with iPhones and they are always complaining about dropped calls and/or lack of 3G speeds. They like their phone, but hate the carrier.
    i'm on my 2nd pre but you guys are insane on #7 thats just dumb. why would you give something SEVEN chances and expect a different outcome?!?
    i'm not like yelling i'm just amazed that you wouldn't give up on it longggg before #7.
    <baffled>
    Sounds like you were not ready for a 1st generation phone with a new OS. GPU support (although more than likely they're waiting for flash) and slightly larger battery increase in mAh (not physical size) would've been nice. The build quality is where Palm fumbled. No excuse for that one!

Video recording is coming soon from Palm as evidenced by the inclusion of the Linux binaries in the last WebOS update (not too mention the already available Precorder from homebrews).

Flash is not Palm's fault, this is on adobe. Flash 10.1 is already out on beta and the Pre will have it early next year. You don't want the previous flash for mobile, it's a POS. Trust me, you want adobe to get it right this time.

But it's all good, hopefully you're new one will show you more love!

And about Apple, yes sir, their shoddy network and the most dropped calls (iphone) with their ridiculous plan prices can kiss my tookus!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast