Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Still rocking my original pre. Hopefully, I won't have to go through this crap./
    bye
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I think Palm had a defective batch of phones and instead of taking these phones out of service, they just kept patching them up and shipping them out as refurbs, henceforth people going through multiple phones. Not the best policy to build a loyal fan base.
    This is the same issue Microsoft had with the Xbox 360. People who got a refurb 360 after their initial 360 broke, ended up in a nasty refurb failure cycle where the defective refurbs would constantly fail, resulting in people with 8+ xbox returns since Microsoft refused to send out new 360s. Palm learned nothing from their fiasco apparently ;p.

I was hoping one day to return my Pre for a non-defective model but I guess that day wont be anytime soon.... The bottom left corner of my Pre has horrible light bleeding that gives a noticeably yellow splotch but everything else works great so I dont want to risk a more defective product, sigh.
    ya srry you guys are having so much problems. ive only had my pre for about a month and a half so who knows. but ive dropped my pre more than once(like 5 times...a few on hard tile floors), still fine. i have numerous patches, works great. no battery issues with me...it actually works great. it was a change in your phone settings that someone posted on these forums on updating the "PRL". all i know, when i took my phone off the charger at 9 this morning, it was sitting at 83% came 3pm. i wasnt using it that much tho. but even with texting/web surfing it still does great. my phone does wiggle a little, but im not anal about it like most ppl on these forums seem to be. it doesnt bother me at at all. i just hope my phone will last lol.

on that note note is the pre the BEST phone out there?? not yet. although i dont have any hardware issues, the phone still feels kind of...cheap lol. but i can tell you one thing...loosing my iphone was the probably one of the best things that happened to me this year or i wouldnt have this phone. i mean really. the only thing you can do worth while on an iphone is download stupid apps. thats probably why they have so many. i love my pre. you couldnt do half the things with an iphone you can do with a pre out the box unless you jailbroke it.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Got a great solution, I found some great deals on Paid in Advance Phones. They only cost $10, they have minimum features, therefore in advance you can't Bit****** about anything, because there nothing but phone service to complain about.

If there is any problem with the phone you just throw it against a wall, relieve your frustration and feel better. I also find there are no Forums to waste time on to enhance your phone or get help in making it better. It is what it is and if you don't like it, again throw it against a wall and get the latest $10 phone with the same features, but newer and according to the marketing literature better.

I got a couple of them, when I am pizzed with my Pre, I throw the $10 phone against a wall and feel a lot better. The $10 phone doesn't do Jack, the Pre does more.

I LOVE MY PRE.

Go get a $10 phone and feel better. By the way it doesn't do Jack, but then you know it in advance therefore nothing to Bit****** about. Problem solved.
    Obviously our results are mixed. I didn't come in here to bash the Pre and how awful it is. I'd personally rather have one, but one that works 100%, not 50 or 75%. I liked the ability to tweak the phone and customize it, but the hardware is just not living up to snuff. I shouldn't (and no one for that matter) have to keep taking my phone in or calling Sprint when something goes awry. You keep your $10 phone, I'm going to find something that works, with the features I want.

Quote Originally Posted by jrdejavux View Post
    I am on my 6 pre since launch date, love the software but the hardware is total crap. If this one breaks I am going to go the hero way until a new webos device comes out. By the way i dont like the pixi.
    Yeah, I did look at the Pixi (my sister wants one for Christmas) and I think they're perfect if you're not using it for anything other than phone/text/web. When you go beyond that, you need to step up to the Pre. I think the Hero is going to be my way to go, but I still haven't made up my mind. Sucks to hear you went through 6 already, that's more patient than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    bye
    Adios. Never got to know ya, but hey, looks like a good thing.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I think Palm had a defective batch of phones and instead of taking these phones out of service, they just kept patching them up and shipping them out as refurbs, henceforth people going through multiple phones. Not the best policy to build a loyal fan base.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
    This is the same issue Microsoft had with the Xbox 360. People who got a refurb 360 after their initial 360 broke, ended up in a nasty refurb failure cycle where the defective refurbs would constantly fail, resulting in people with 8+ xbox returns since Microsoft refused to send out new 360s. Palm learned nothing from their fiasco apparently ;p.

I was hoping one day to return my Pre for a non-defective model but I guess that day wont be anytime soon.... The bottom left corner of my Pre has horrible light bleeding that gives a noticeably yellow splotch but everything else works great so I dont want to risk a more defective product, sigh.
    That's where they went wrong. Pull them out of service, give people new phones, or develop some sort of quality control that can prevent inferior product from hitting shelves. I understand that sort of thing takes time, but how much do you need before it starts severely costing you in the end.

I know several people with launch day Pres running just fine, who use their phone about as much as I do. Seems like one heck of a mixed bag came out for launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
    Adios. Never got to know ya, but hey, looks like a good thing.
    chill all i said was bye
    good luck with your iphone
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    chill all i said was bye
    good luck with your iphone
    That's the last thing I'd buy right now.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    In regards to how quickly they replace defective phones I will give credit where credit is due. All of my replacements I have gotten, no matter for what reason, have been ordered and overnight shipped and I had them the following day.

I called in to tech support yesterday shortly after my original post and we did some testing and it was deemed to be a something faulty in the phone for the freezing and overheating (not your normal everyday overheating, like burn the crap out of my hand and leave a mark overheating) and also a memory leak which was causing the "Too Many Cards" error I was getting.

I pretty much knew it was a memory leak going in and usually memory leaks are always software related. I have already done soft and hard rests to the phone and also purposely held off upgrading to 1.3.1 as long as I could after the resets to see if it was a 1.3.1 issue only and I still got the error. With that being said they agreed it was defective and wanted to pawn off another Prefurb on me, but I was polite yet stern and said I was pretty much done with the Pre; three strikes and your out.

Having two go bad in around two weeks is not good for me, them, or Palm. She agreed and put in a request to allow me to switch to a Hero and hopefully I will find out today if that request was approved or not. I really hope it gets approved. If it were me in charge of approving and denying these things I would take in to much consideration that the customer has gone through these replacements so quickly and that it would be best to switch them out.

I must admit, I honestly think there are way more bad Pres out there then we are aware of because each time I have called in for support they barely do any troubleshooting and just put the order in for the replacement. The lady yesterday wasn't going to do any troubleshooting either, but I requested we do just so it is noted properly in my account that yes these are bad Pres. To me, this makes me think that they just get so many calls in regarding issues with this phone they realized it is pointless to waste the time troubleshooting it and just to order a replacement.

I like Palm, and I really hope they turn things around quickly with their future webOS devices, but with all of the issues the Pre has been having from build quality to bugs it is just hurting their cause in trying to rebuild their company and their reputation. If they do not get the ball rolling in the right direction fast I have a feeling they are going to sink the ship quickly.

I will reply once I get my confirmation call and let you know if they approved the switch or not.
    I was doing great with my first Pre, until the keyboard stop responding to unlock the screen... at the Sprint store they exchanged it for a new one (cofirmed). I don't know if taking my 1 year old with me helped. I did soft reset, took battery out, tried to use WebOS doctor, nothing worked. One of the things I noticed was that Touchstone was not charging the phone the night before, and when I tried to charged it with the Traveler's charger at work, will not charge properly either.
    Last edited by maqk; 12/03/2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: grammar
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Well, I didn't think I'd do this, but I've had enough. After going through three Pres since launch, I'm done. I've had numerous issues with them:

Pre 1 - launch day: loose slider, battery movement/shutting off issue, proximity sensor would 'freak out' causing the screen to cycle repeatedly for 1-5 minutes, even away from a person.

Pre 2 - refurb, worked fairly good until Z, C, B, M, and return keys would stop working intermittently, then come back on. Took into Sprint, couldn't replicate issue, called Sprint CS, warrantied the phone, and sent me a 2nd refurb.

Pre 3 (current) - refurb again (I requested a new one, but they 'couldn't give me one) - Already has a horribly loose slider, phone 'creaks' (something my other 2 never did), and has several small 'blurs' on the screen. I also had the infamous 'lost contacts' issue with my activation on this one, and after 2 hours on the phone with Palm, I was able to fix that.

In short, I looked forward to getting this phone, I was optimistic that it would be great, and would be a worthy replacement to my Centro. It is capable, has a huge potential, but right now, the cheap hardware and all of the issues it has (which there seem to be a lot of) are keeping me from getting another one. I'm not hard on phones, but this one just barely makes it worthwhile.

As for what's next, I don't know. I'm torn. I have considered the BB Tour and the HTC Hero. I'm cautious with the Hero because of hardware issues from friends with older HTC phones (Touch), and that the Android OS is not the most secure. The Tour looks good, and BB's typically just 'work', and that's what I'm looking for.

I'll keep you all posted, I'm going to put a call into Sprint tonight and explain the situation, and that I'm just fed up with this phone, and go look at a few possible replacements and see what I decide on.

Rock on!

-Steve

I just went thru this exact thing last night. Im on my third Pre now. I was seriously debating over what other phone to get. I liked the moment but its just such a brick!!

The HTC Hero is nice and stylish but feels cheap. Plus, I had a touch, touch pro and touch diamond. Not good experience so that put the hero out of the picture (Even though most of the issues were Windows Mobile related)

Then there was the blackberry tour. I really liked it and as you said, the generally work. Doesnt freeze, restart on its own (Which is why I returned mine last night).

Now I know I might sound stupid for writing all this crap but I walked out of the sprint store with another Pre.

I really got used to Synergy.

Now if this phone turns to **** too, I will probably get the HTC Hero and give it a shot with the Android software. Another thing that turns me off about the HTC Touch is the missing proximity sensor. I cant believe that a modern phone like that doesnt have this feature.

Anyway, enough venting.

Oh also, I cannot complain about the customer service at the sprint store that I went to. She played with my phone but unfortunately the screen did not flicker or restart itself. She gave me the option of taking the Samsung Moment or the HTC Hero without paying a difference. After she noticed that I really didnt want to give up on the Pre, she went to the back and got me a new one.

You all have a good one!!!
    Last edited by ldpantoja; 12/03/2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Addition
  12.    #32  
    Kamen, I totally agree. Both times I've needed replacements, either the Sprint store of Sprint CS has been extremely helpful getting a replacement out to me quick. I can't complain there. I've been fortunate to have great service from Sprint over the years.

I didn't think the Hero felt cheap. I liked the heavier weight and what felt like a sturdier body, and the lack of a slider would be nice. What I'm afraid of is the lack of a physical keyboard (which is why I bought the Pre in the first place). I'm stilll torn, I've looked them both over (Hero and Tour), but can't come to any decisions yet.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Kamen, I totally agree. Both times I've needed replacements, either the Sprint store of Sprint CS has been extremely helpful getting a replacement out to me quick. I can't complain there. I've been fortunate to have great service from Sprint over the years.

I didn't think the Hero felt cheap. I liked the heavier weight and what felt like a sturdier body, and the lack of a slider would be nice. What I'm afraid of is the lack of a physical keyboard (which is why I bought the Pre in the first place). I'm stilll torn, I've looked them both over (Hero and Tour), but can't come to any decisions yet.
    I am big on having a physical keyboard as well, but I did some research and it seems that the Hero offers a few different styles of the virtual keyboard so hopefully you will like one of them.

I wanted to find a non-biased Pre vs. Hero article, but really there aren't many. One is always going to be favored over another. For instance a review here will most likely heavily favor the Pre, but one at Android Central will heavily favor the Hero.
    Well, I didn't think I'd do this, but I've had enough. After going through three Pres since launch, I'm done. I've had numerous issues with them:

Pre 1 - launch day: loose slider, battery movement/shutting off issue, proximity sensor would 'freak out' causing the screen to cycle repeatedly for 1-5 minutes, even away from a person.

Pre 2 - refurb, worked fairly good until Z, C, B, M, and return keys would stop working intermittently, then come back on. Took into Sprint, couldn't replicate issue, called Sprint CS, warrantied the phone, and sent me a 2nd refurb.

Pre 3 (current) - refurb again (I requested a new one, but they 'couldn't give me one) - Already has a horribly loose slider, phone 'creaks' (something my other 2 never did), and has several small 'blurs' on the screen. I also had the infamous 'lost contacts' issue with my activation on this one, and after 2 hours on the phone with Palm, I was able to fix that.

In short, I looked forward to getting this phone, I was optimistic that it would be great, and would be a worthy replacement to my Centro. It is capable, has a huge potential, but right now, the cheap hardware and all of the issues it has (which there seem to be a lot of) are keeping me from getting another one. I'm not hard on phones, but this one just barely makes it worthwhile.

As for what's next, I don't know. I'm torn. I have considered the BB Tour and the HTC Hero. I'm cautious with the Hero because of hardware issues from friends with older HTC phones (Touch), and that the Android OS is not the most secure. The Tour looks good, and BB's typically just 'work', and that's what I'm looking for.

I'll keep you all posted, I'm going to put a call into Sprint tonight and explain the situation, and that I'm just fed up with this phone, and go look at a few possible replacements and see what I decide on.

Rock on!

-Steve
    BB don't just "work" in my opinion.

I went through multiple Curves when I had my BB. Also, the Tour has a trackball issue.

I dunno, i feel every smartphone in general has some kind of issue. I've always had to replace a smartphone at least once.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    My wife has a Curve and as each day passes she hates it more and more and she has always been a big BB person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
    I am big on having a physical keyboard as well, but I did some research and it seems that the Hero offers a few different styles of the virtual keyboard so hopefully you will like one of them.

I wanted to find a non-biased Pre vs. Hero article, but really there aren't many. One is always going to be favored over another. For instance a review here will most likely heavily favor the Pre, but one at Android Central will heavily favor the Hero.
    Use them both. Android is my second favorite mobile OS (after WebOS)...but more so what HTC does with Android.

I played with the Samsung blur i think was the name....man, the stock android interface just feels like it has zero personally. And Browsing simply doesn't stack up to WebOS/iPhone level browsing. But if Palm for some reason ever went under and there were no other WebOS devices...i'd prob. go to an HTC android device.
  17.    #37  
    I appreciate the info on all of the other phones guys. I'm still leaning to the Hero, based mainly on the experience I did have with it. I found the UI to be very easy to pick up, and in the 5-10 minutes I spent playing with it, it seemed very simple. I will have to look deeper and see if I find things I don't like, but first I need to get Sprint to commit to crediting my account for the phone.
    I bet we see an HTC webos phone within the next 2 years. Ruby said it wasn't totally off the table.
    Seriously, what on earth do you guys do to break 7 phones. Every person I know with a Pre has had zero problems (and thats real people, not internet associates). I personnally have dropped my pre 3 times (without a case) and it has a small crack but thats my fault, not the hardware. But I had to laugh at my work associate who got a 3GS and yesterday came to work and cried because it bricked due to some failure.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I appreciate the info on all of the other phones guys. I'm still leaning to the Hero, based mainly on the experience I did have with it. I found the UI to be very easy to pick up, and in the 5-10 minutes I spent playing with it, it seemed very simple. I will have to look deeper and see if I find things I don't like, but first I need to get Sprint to commit to crediting my account for the phone.
    Just remember the Hero you get might not be brand new. I believe if you switch to a different style phone they send you a refurb of that as well. I am hoping they actually send me a new one if I am approved though.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast