Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hi All,

I'm new to forum of course, and am considering getting a Pre, and am looking for some general advice - particularly from those knowledgeable in, or who have experience with, using Blackberry.

As the title suggests, I currently own a storm (personal use, not business..), but am strongly considering moving over to a Palm Pre. From your informed perspective;

1) What will i miss about the Blackberry, that the Pre does not offer me?

2) What will blow me over about the Pre, that i'm missing on the Blackberry?

3) Is the battery life as bad on the Pre as rumour suggests? I get a full days use out of the storm.

4) Anything else I should know?

I've read various reviews / specs / Youtube vids etc, but would greatly appreciate your subjective opinions!

Thanks in Advance
    I'd take a Storm over a Pre personally, especially with the latest OS. I'd also take a Storm 2 over a Pre.
    What do you like/dislike about the Pre? We can compare and contrast from there.

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies. The Storm is my first smartphone, and therefore only source of reference, but here goes..

Storm Likes:

- instant email
    - When the OS is *normally* fairly snappy at opening up apps like email
    - Having access to twitter / fb updates
    - being able to keep several apps open, to an extent

Storm Dislikes

- Screen freezes (quite often, esp on browser)
    - Terrible, terrible device to type on (i've got about a four beer limit for being able to type my own name on the thing.. )
    - Aesthetically, the device looks like a roof slate / brick / door stop and is heavy!
    - browser is very very slow (some sites cannot even load)
    - Device is generally a bit slow, and cumbersome with most tasks

I have only really played with a Pre in-store, and my only concern with the device would be;

- seems a little slow / laggy at opening apps and scrolling through pictures etc

But then, the storm has definitely improved a lot with OS updates, no don't the same holds true for the Pre?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imcleod1982 View Post
    Hi All,

I'm new to forum of course, and am considering getting a Pre, and am looking for some general advice - particularly from those knowledgeable in, or who have experience with, using Blackberry.

As the title suggests, I currently own a storm (personal use, not business..), but am strongly considering moving over to a Palm Pre. From your informed perspective;

1) What will i miss about the Blackberry, that the Pre does not offer me?

2) What will blow me over about the Pre, that i'm missing on the Blackberry?

3) Is the battery life as bad on the Pre as rumour suggests? I get a full days use out of the storm.

4) Anything else I should know?

I've read various reviews / specs / Youtube vids etc, but would greatly appreciate your subjective opinions!

Thanks in Advance
    I moved from a Blackberry Storm to the Palm Pre a few months ago and haven't looked back! I really hated the Storm though. To answer your questions more specifically from my perspective:

1) If you use BBM, you might miss this, or MSN messenger. I am in Canada and currently there isn't anything in the App catalog to replace any instant messaging client. Also I have found that in my case the the Storm offered significantly better battery life than the Pre, though the Pre is still manageable on daily charging.

2) WebOS, keyboard (at least for me), and browser.

3) Yes, compared to the Storm that I had, I must say the battery on the Pre is pretty horrid. I don't think this would be a deal breaker though.

4) From my personal experience, the two things that bothers me most about the Pre is having to slide the keyboard to use it, and the battery life. Minor bothers are that the calender is a bit slow (usually takes 3 - 5 seconds to open) and currently there is no LED notification (I am sure this will be fixed in a later patch to make the pearl button light up).
    Thanks for the replies. The Storm is my first smartphone, and therefore only source of reference, but here goes..

Storm Likes:

- instant email
    - When the OS is *normally* fairly snappy at opening up apps like email
    - Having access to twitter / fb updates
    - being able to keep several apps open, to an extent

Storm Dislikes

- Screen freezes (quite often, esp on browser)
    - Terrible, terrible device to type on (i've got about a four beer limit for being able to type my own name on the thing.. )
    - Aesthetically, the device looks like a roof slate / brick / door stop and is heavy!
    - browser is very very slow (some sites cannot even load)
    - Device is generally a bit slow, and cumbersome with most tasks

I have only really played with a Pre in-store, and my only concern with the device would be;

- seems a little slow / laggy at opening apps and scrolling through pictures etc

But then, the storm has definitely improved a lot with OS updates, no don't the same holds true for the Pre?
    I'll tell you this much, I've got a 4 beer limit on my Pre as well Have you tried/considered the Storm 2?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I'll tell you this much, I've got a 4 beer limit on my Pre as well Have you tried/considered the Storm 2?
    haha maybe there should be a voice-app that recognises inebriated slurring!

From the replies so far, I don't use BBM, so my main concern would be battery life I guess. I did find that the Storm battery life has increased quite considerably during my year of ownership - I don't know whether this is due to long term overcharging, or OS tweaks? But in either case, has anyone noticed a gradual increase in their Pre battery life, following updates / charging patterns?

Regarding the Storm 2 - I had a play with it, just seems like the Storm 1 but only '10% better'. I think if i ever go back to a BB, it will be to a bold type device, but the current BB's just seem a little dull and boring IMO, compared to the new breed of phones (running android, iphone, webos etc)

Aesthetically, I really like the Pre design, and have my heart set on a physical keyboard!
    haha maybe there should be a voice-app that recognises inebriated slurring!

From the replies so far, I don't use BBM, so my main concern would be battery life I guess. I did find that the Storm battery life has increased quite considerably during my year of ownership - I don't know whether this is due to long term overcharging, or OS tweaks? But in either case, has anyone noticed a gradual increase in their Pre battery life, following updates / charging patterns?

Regarding the Storm 2 - I had a play with it, just seems like the Storm 1 but only '10% better'. I think if i ever go back to a BB, it will be to a bold type device, but the current BB's just seem a little dull and boring IMO, compared to the new breed of phones (running android, iphone, webos etc)

Aesthetically, I really like the Pre design, and have my heart set on a physical keyboard!
    My Pearl was the same way with regards to battery life getting worse, and I think it had to do with the OS more than anything. It still gets the 15 days or whatever standby(I use it as my alarm clock, rarely have to charge it), but it's pretty bad when the radio is on. Pre's battery has definitely improved, but it's no better than any other smart phone, IMO.
    well technically its not instant email but i understand your point and my pre is actual instant email due to imap. i say this cause its as fast as my outlook where my curve took 10-20 mins. i worked in wireless sales for 5 years and became a phone addict since, after knowing each for weakness and strength i say pre
    I can't stand the Storm/Storm 2 they're claim to fame is the Click, which I haven't found a compelling reason for, I haven't found why the extra hardware needs to be included for something that the touchscreen can do with a tap instead.

The click quickly wore down on my co-worker's phone (you could relate him to a 5-7 year old on it though) which made the entire thing useless, I believe he's on his 4th now.

Overall from the messing it seemed like a limited phone with a gimmick, while the Pre has some build issues, but is generally very featured, and has a lot of potential.
    The Pre's battery life isn't that bad since you can upgrade to a larger battery. I use the seidio 1350 battery and I can get a full day of medium use out of the phone. Right now my pre is at 75% and I have had it off the charger since 7:45 am EST (a little under 5 hours).

The real trick to lengthening out your battery life is to use WiFi when you can, and to turn off data when you don't need it. There are a few handy homebrew apps for this.

Also if you get a touchstone, the Pre will fully charge in 2 hours.

As far as email goes, WebOS does push e-mail and it is instant as far as I can tell. Apps, take a second or two to open, but the reality of WebOS is that you really never need to close any of those apps. I have tested my Pre and have had 26 different apps running at the same time. It got a little laggy, but with 4 or 5 apps running, I notice no lag at all.

One thing that I will caution about is that WebOS is still in its infancy and is working out a few growing pains. From everything we can tell, it looks like the GPU in the device will be implemented soonish (read the next few months) and the Pre should really fly then.

What I would do is get a pre and test it for 30 days. If you don't like it, return it and try something else.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I can't stand the Storm/Storm 2 they're claim to fame is the Click, which I haven't found a compelling reason for, I haven't found why the extra hardware needs to be included for something that the touchscreen can do with a tap instead.

The click quickly wore down on my co-worker's phone (you could relate him to a 5-7 year old on it though) which made the entire thing useless, I believe he's on his 4th now.

Overall from the messing it seemed like a limited phone with a gimmick, while the Pre has some build issues, but is generally very featured, and has a lot of potential.
    The Storm 2 doesn't have the click. Blackberry's App World also gives the Storm/Storm 2 a lot more potential currently.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    The Storm 2 doesn't have the click.
    Yes it does, just a different way from the original but it does click.

I have used the Storm 2 for a long time and use a Pre currently. Honestly I was just as happy with the Storm 2 as I am now with the Pre. Both offer great business email use and multimedia capabilties.

I moved to the Pre simply for a change in form factor not b/c of dislikes for the Storm 2.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Ditched a Storm for the Pre.. still think it was the right move.
    storm is the worst phone every made by blackberry!!! and if u liked the storm you will love the pre
    Man, I work with several types of BB and the Storm, from mine and the user's experience blew hard. Random OS errors, Crashes, Defects, Lag, and just plain annoying with their -gotta press hard enough to confirm a click-sucked when typing fast.

Everyone at this one site swapped out for a tour in less than six months, some purposely trashed the storm just to have it swapped lol.

The pre has its issues, but eventually will get worked out. Meh, but the OS being so young, has alot to show. Looking forward to GPU and Flash. :O
    happy with the BB Storm, really? I had one for 6 months, biggest piece of c##p I have ever owned! Turtle speed internet, suretype VKeyboard (should have named it misstype), complicated UI, and constant freezing, just a horrible phone. It is the reason I left Version, did not want to deal with that phone for 18 more months! IMO, using it now for 6 months, it is light years ahead of the Storm and Storm II. I love my pre, dependable phone, real keyboard, in fact, I am typing on it right now. It is small and light and fits in my jean's pocket nicely and you can't find better rates, 69.95 a month!
    Quote Originally Posted by etrade18 View Post
    storm is the worst phone every made by blackberry!!! and if u liked the storm you will love the pre
    awsome first post
    The Storm 2 doesn't have the click. Blackberry's App World also gives the Storm/Storm 2 a lot more potential currently.
    Wow...I am incorrect. 3500+
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Blackberry vs Pre is no contest unless you need the Tour for traveling to Europe or for your job. WebOS is superior in every way except app availability.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast