Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    This is copied (and just slightly updated) from my "No more Storm - Got a Palm Pre" thread I posted on Crackberry.com after switching.

I know many folks here will either tell me how stupid I am...or just tell me how much they just don't care...but, I finally gave up on my Storm and got a Pre.

I had many Palms before getting the Storm (Palm V, i705, Tungsten W, Treo 700p). They worked well, but the Palm OS just got too long in the tooth; it couldn't keep up with the multi-tasking, networking, etc.

I bought a Storm on launch day (sat out in the cold before the store opened to get one) and have been defending it ever since.

Two weekends ago I demo'd a Pre...and was just blown away. I went home and thought about it for about 4 days, then went out and switched to Sprint and got a Pre...best decision I ever made (as far as cell phones go).

Minuses on the Pre

Battery life - Yup, it's as bad as everyone says. But, the Storm wasn't known for having GREAT battery life. I just make sure I have a charger at home, a charger at my desk at work, and a car charger.

Can't customize alert sounds - This is annoying, but it's something I knew about before I bought it. and it's something that CAN be fixed with a software update or a third-party application. Whether it will or not remains to be seen. This is fixed...and there a couple of solutions. You can download the "My Notification" homebrew app that gives you some basic control. The better solution is to install Preware via QuickInstall and then install the "SMS Tone Per Contact" patch. This lets you totally customize the sounds for ringing, calendar alerts, e-mail alerts, and SMS alerts. I even went so far as to extract the sounds from my Storm and use the EXACT same sounds I had before!

No memory expansion - This is the biggest drawback to the Pre, to me. And it's something that can't be fixed with a firmware update or third-party app. The device has 8GB of memory...and always will.

No digital compass - This is the one that I brooded over for hours. I talked to my wife about it and got her opinion. I've spoken with both my therapist and my spiritual advisor at length about it...and we all came to the same conclusion...Who cares!?!?!

Pluses

E-mail - When I was considering the Storm (or any other BlackBerry), all I heard about was how it was THE e-mail device. This is what they do...this is what they do best...they do e-mail better than all others combined. They are, simply put, e-mail machines! Wow, was I disappointed.

How do I make a folder or sub-folder to organize my messages? Oh, you don't. Everything is just in a big-honkin' inbox...no way to organize or sort it. Well, if you're a corporate user and have a $30K Exchange Server running BES, you can. I don't...and most average users don't.

How do I edit a forwarded message? Oh, you don't.

Quite simply, the e-mail on the Storm really frustrated me. I want it to work...just work. It was always a fight.

The e-mail on the Pre is a sight to see. I have all of my folders and sub-folders to organize my e-mail. I have individual inboxes for different e-mail accounts AND a combined inbox (best of both worlds)...and I can edit a forwarded message (I never thought of this as a "feature"...just seems like common sense. I still haven't ever heard of any good reason why BB WON'T let you do this.) Oh, and it does instant Push e-mail flawlessly, so that's not something the BB has a leg-up on.

The User Interface - All of the smoothness, the transitions, the moderness that we kept waiting for on the Storm (".14x is gonna fix these problems for sure!!")...I found them...they're on the Pre. It's as smooth as the Storm isn't.

Charger System - It may seem like a minor thing, or even a gimmicky thing, but the Touchstone charger is just brilliant. Just set the phone down, and it's charging (I have two, one at home and one on my desk here at work).

Integration with Apps - The apps all work together (unlike on the Storm). They also all work the same (unlike on the Storm where the back button closes SOME apps, not all...some say "Close" on the menu, some say "Exit")

Closing Apps - Flick the card up off the screen to close the app...any app. It's closed, I know it's closed. I don't have to bring up the task manager to see if I really closed it. I don't have to bring up the task manager occasionally to see if I accidentally left something open that's draining my battery (YouTube!!!). Flick the card off the screen, the app is closed. Period.

Firmware updates
    - So far so good. We've had 3 multiple software updates in about a month the months since release. This is a good sign.

Inertial scrolling - For those of you that say "I don't need this"...you're right, you don't "need" it...but man, it's nice to have!

Multiple Web Browsers Open Simultaneously - Wow...so handy!

Threaded SMS - I had it on the Treo and missed it when I got to the Storm. I have it once again and it's as handy as I remember!!

A Read Hardware Keyboard - I got used to the Storm keyboard. I got to the point where I could easily type faster than the OS could keep up. That was the problem. The OS couldn't keep up with me. I constantly had to slow down to correct "mistakes" (mistakes being letters I hit that I missed because the OS was busy elsewhere). Some have complained about the small size of it. While I wouldn't mind the whole device being about 20% bigger, it's totally usable. I can knock out some pretty long e-mails with both speed and accuracy. I'm a fairly big guy with big hands, I have no issues with it. Some have complained about getting to the top row of keys because they're very close to the edge of the slider. I can only see this as being an issue if you have long fingernails (I don't).

Multiple Calendars - I don't really use it in the true sense, but I've set up multiple calendars just so that I can have multiple colors for different calendar events. Makes seeing what's going on so much easier! I live and die on my calendar so, it's GOT to be easy-to-read and organized. On the Pre, it is.

Applications

Yeah, I know, there aren't a lot for the Pre yet. How many did we have in December for the Storm? The ones that do exist, I can speak about...

Where - Blows Poynt away. Sorry. I had Poynt and used it. I liked it. It was one of the apps that I often showed people when I would demo the Storm. But Where is in a different league.

AP Mobile - Again, this is an app I had on my Storm...and used. But, the Pre version is just so much slicker and smoother. Oh, and did you know that AP Mobile has videos (if the Storm version did, I never saw it - I could have missed it, you never know)? They work great and look good.

Sprint Navigation Versus VZ Navigator - I had VZN for the first month. Worked like crap. Took FOREVER to calculate a route and, if you missed a turn, too bad because the software needed 3 minutes to recalculate a route...and by the time it recalculated, you've driven past the NEW turn it needed you to take, so it's gonna have to recalculate AGAIN. Sprint Navigation, like most other things on this phone, just works. It just does. It calculates quickly and recalculates a new route if you miss a turn in about 4 seconds. Done.

Other Factors

The Network - Sprint isn't Verizon. No question, Verizon has the best coverage and the best network. I live in a large metropolitan area (Washington DC metro area) so, Sprint coverage is fine for my regular day-to-day life. When I leave the city, the Sprint coverage isn't as good as Verzion. However, did you know that Sprint has a roaming agreement with Verizon? So, when I'm out of the Sprint coverage area, I can roam on Verzion's big-honkin' network and get the same great coverage Verizon customers enjoy!

Cost per month - For $70.00 I get 450 anytime minutes, unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited SMS/MMS, unlimited data, unlimited Sprint Navigation. With Verzion, $70.00 got me the 450 anytime minutes and unlimited nights/weekends. Data was another $40 on top of that, VZ Navigator was another $10.00 on top of that and $8 or so got me a few hundred text messages. My Sprint monthly bill is $50 PER MONTH cheaper than my Verizon bill. Sorry folks, that's significant to me.

When I ran the numbers, even with paying $140.00 early termination fee to Verizon, buying the phone for $200, and buying another $150 worth of accessories, the Sprint/Pre switch pays for itself in less than a year.

It's better phone and it's a cheaper plan (for more). I don't know what else to say.
    Nice man, liked your realistic view. Nice Read
    Habious, I guess I don't have Storm Envy right now. Great overview and thanks to others.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    another plus the pre has over the Storrm is the precentral.net community, they rock and with preware and homebrew apps, makes the pre even a better platform.
    If you mute the Storm2, does the screen still click? If so, what do you do if you're on a flight typing away on a note? Wouldn't that annoy the person sitting next to you?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I had the Storm (1) and have played with the Storm 2. The click isn't THAT loud.

Sitting next to a person in a quiet meeting? Yeah, that might annoy someone...but no more so than someone clicking away on their BB Curve or Bold.

Sitting next to someone on a plane...they'll never hear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    I had the Storm (1) and have played with the Storm 2. The click isn't THAT loud.

Sitting next to a person in a quiet meeting? Yeah, that might annoy someone...but no more so than someone clicking away on their BB Curve or Bold.

Sitting next to someone on a plane...they'll never hear it.
    Tks for the info Habious. I also take your reply to mean that you can't mute the click. Right?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Tks for the info Habious. I also take your reply to mean that you can't mute the click. Right?

TIA

I owned the Storm (1)...and the click was mechanical so, no, muting the click wasn't possible.

I've only spent a limited amount of time with the Storm 2 so, I just don't know about that specifically.

I will say that the Storm 2 was considerably nicer overall than my Storm (1).

Physically, it was smoother and sleeker (still heavy as crap for it's size!).

The OS was MUCH zippier. It has actual graphical transitions when opening/closing apps. A little eye candy is nice

They doubled the app space on it...and the 5.0.0.x OS is much better than the 4.7.x.x I was running on it.

However, the OS (to me) still feels an OS designed from the ground up to be used on a device with a click-wheel or trackball...and then control for the touchscreen laid on top of that groundwork as an afterthought...because that's exactly what it is.

It took Palm several years to realize that, while PalmOS was great in it's day, it simply couldn't handle true multi-tasking, network connections, multi-media, etc, etc...that we now demand. They tried adding some of that stuff on...and it just didn't really work. It felt like what it was...an afterthought.

They finally realized that they had to throw it away and design a new OS...starting with a blank piece of paper. It's nice that they were able to come up with Classic, so that those that use the old PalmOS apps aren't just thrown to the wolves.

I personally think that's what RIM needs to do with the touchscreen Blackberries...and their devices in general. They're running into problems with memory allocation, antiquated core apps (web browser, e-mail, etc), fluid multi-tasking, poor touchscreen integration, etc. Sound familiar?

Throw it away...start from scratch...come out with something that blows everyone away...and hire a company to write a BBOS emulator app for your new state-of-the-art OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    I owned the Storm (1)...and the click was mechanical so, no, muting the click wasn't possible.
    Tks for the info Habious. And tks for the detail review.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    If you mute the Storm2, does the screen still click? If so, what do you do if you're on a flight typing away on a note? Wouldn't that annoy the person sitting next to you?

TIA
    just slip them a sleeping pill...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    just slip them a sleeping pill...
    Good One.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12