1.    #1  
    I Posted Earlier but no one is giving any help. My pre won't open Text docs now. It used to but now it don't. I have tried to update and no change.

Can anyone help me with this? It is for work that I need this, and can't find a solution.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carlsenga View Post
    I Posted Earlier but no one is giving any help. My pre won't open Text docs now. It used to but now it don't. I have tried to update and no change.

Can anyone help me with this? It is for work that I need this, and can't find a solution.

I have the same issue with PDFs, I can open excel docs, haven't tried Word or txt lately.

I called Palm, and they said this is an issue with SOME users, but they have yet to provide a solution to correct this. This happened to me as a result of updating the phone's software to the latest version, hours before I coulld open a PDF, right after, I got the "cannot find an application which can open this file.." sucks.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    We heard about this issue from several of our customers who downloaded our App "Made Simple for webOS."

We found out that in the new version of the OS - 1.3.1, users can delete their PDF view app by mistake - for other users, somehow the PDF view program did not make it onto their device during the upgrade.

Anyway - follow the steps below to correct this:

Make sure to back up your Pre first:

We can restore the PDF icon by performing a Partial Erase on the device.

Try the below steps to perform Partial Erase:

First, take backup of your data.

To back up your information manually, Open Back up Now.
    Turn off automatic backup and delete backed-up information: Tap On to switch backup from On to Off. (Tap Turn Off And Erase Data. This deletes all your information on the server. It does not affect the information on your phone.)
    Turn on automatic backup if you had previously turned it off: Tap Off to switch backup from Off to On.

Then, try the steps below..

Partial Erase deletes personal information (contacts, tasks, calendar, memos), applications, and the Palm profile. But data and applications downloaded from App Catalog are restored after you signs in to the Palm profile again.

Open Device Info .
    Tap Reset Options, and then tap Partial Erase twice. The phone may take a few minutes to reset.

Once it is done, follow the onscreen prompts to enter the Palm profile email address and password. This restores all data that was backed up to the Palm profile, including contacts, calendar events, and tasks, as well as apps bought through App Catalog.

You'll be all set.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gary Mazo View Post
    We heard about this issue from several of our customers who downloaded our App "Made Simple for webOS."

We found out that in the new version of the OS - 1.3.1, users can delete their PDF view app by mistake - for other users, somehow the PDF view program did not make it onto their device during the upgrade.

Anyway - follow the steps below to correct this:

Make sure to back up your Pre first:

We can restore the PDF icon by performing a Partial Erase on the device.

Try the below steps to perform Partial Erase:

First, take backup of your data.

To back up your information manually, Open Back up Now.
    Turn off automatic backup and delete backed-up information: Tap On to switch backup from On to Off. (Tap Turn Off And Erase Data. This deletes all your information on the server. It does not affect the information on your phone.)
    Turn on automatic backup if you had previously turned it off: Tap Off to switch backup from Off to On.

Then, try the steps below..

Partial Erase deletes personal information (contacts, tasks, calendar, memos), applications, and the Palm profile. But data and applications downloaded from App Catalog are restored after you signs in to the Palm profile again.

Open Device Info .
    Tap Reset Options, and then tap Partial Erase twice. The phone may take a few minutes to reset.

Once it is done, follow the onscreen prompts to enter the Palm profile email address and password. This restores all data that was backed up to the Palm profile, including contacts, calendar events, and tasks, as well as apps bought through App Catalog.

You'll be all set.
    I just did everything that you mentioned. But tried to open the email, and still nothing. get the error of cannot find an application which can open this file.

Any suggestions.
    I Posted Earlier but no one is giving any help. My pre won't open Text docs now. It used to but now it don't. I have tried to update and no change
    Seems to work OK for me. Are you talking about an email attachment or a text document you've copied to the USB partition? Does the document have the .TXT file extension?
  6.    #6  
    Yeat it is a email attatchment. And yes it has the TXT extension. So I don't know what to do now.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Yeat it is a email attatchment. And yes it has the TXT extension. So I don't know what to do now.
    The fix won't work for me, I have the PDF view application and can open PDFs saved on the pre without any issue.

I just can't open any from an email, nor can I save the PDF to the Pre from the email, that could allow me to open it using PDF view directly.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    If it has a TXT and not a PDF or .DOC extension you might be in trouble. Unfortunately, the best alternative is to open the attachment on your PC or Mac, copy the text either into the body of an email or into a Word document and then email it back to yourself. Sounds crazy, but I'm not sure how else to go about it if you tried everything else.
    I'm having the same problem. I can't open word docs or pdf docs. For both it tells me it can't find the application. But it is there.

I used to be able to view them.
    Here's my workaround if you have gmail.

I've been forever forwarding all of my work emails to gmail. I started doing this because of the EAS sync issue.

If you log into gmail via the browser and scroll to the bottom, you can select mobile or desktop version. Once you select desktop version you can read word docs in html.

Doesn't work for pdf docs though.