Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    [Note: This is the most fan-ish thing I have ever written, and I am probably too old to be writing it.]

I know this is a Palm Pre forum and the sentiment is shared by _most_ the people here, but sometimes it feels like, with all the complaining I see round here(understandable as it can be at times), we are in communist country and the Pre is like the Lada; we are all forced to use it, even though we hate it. However, I digress.

The point is that my Pre is wicked awesome. Every time I pick it up and use it, I start smiling. No joke, I sincerely start smiling. From the way it feels in the hand to the wonderful UI(cards are a genius mobile interface paradigms) to the top notch web browsing and PIM supported, it just works so well, especially with patches.

Speaking of which, I love patches, love love love them. From making my pre that much faster to allowing me to make the launcher as well as most the apps just the way I like it, patches are the perfect solution. Moreover, they don't feel like a hacks, not even close. And I feel bad for all other platforms as patches are only possible on the Pre(well I guess you could bin-patch on other platforms, but that's just dirty). To whoever it was at Web-OS Internal that came up with the idea, you my friend, are a saint.

Finally, there is the app store, 6 months in and There are near 500 apps. That is what I call impressive. When was the last time you head of a platform that only worked on two devices having 500 apps after 6 months? Whatsmore, anyone wants to take a guess how many of those apps have ever crashed my phone, unlike every other phone I've owned... let me give you a clue, it starts with a Z.

Don't get me wrong, my pre is not perfect... can we say GPU, or bigger battery, maybe video camera? That said, as far as I am concerned, those are just small potatoes.

Source(s): Engineer working for a company that develops software for "mobile fruit"(what iDon't want to be fired : ).

Now if you will excuse me its back to business as usual...
    Last edited by Ranier; 12/02/2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: proofing
    I feel the sameway when I use my pre. Its one of the best phones I've had so far. To me this is the most fun I had with a phone. Using the pre is just a blast and once they update the phone with everything else such as recordin and flash and things of that nature to me the pre would be the best phone on the market. Hell I feel that way now. And I have an iPhone.
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    I have to say, I came from a Blackberry and liked that phone alot. But I got very frustrated by the OS - it was so boring and "old school" and had its issues as well. I have enjoyed my Pre immensly in comparison - and yes once a few things get tweaked (or used such as the GPU) it really will be the perfect phone in my opinion!
    i actually go out of my way to find reasons to use it. drives my wife crazy . and now that all the good or better apps are starting to appear she will never hear the end of it. though sometimes, and i mean on a rare occasion, she almost seems like she may sorta be interested in some of the apps (can we say trapster?)

it has actually made my life better in more ways then i can count, from synergy to apps (wait is that not supposed to be a-s not s-a?). updating my calender from any computer and having it sync with my phone automatically? ingenious!!

there are plenty of times i just look at it and wonder what i could be having it do.
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Drives my wife crazy too!
    Three things hold me back from considering my Pre the single best mobile gadget I've ever owned (and that includes my Tablet PCs, which I've used extensively in very productive pursuits): a good ebook reader*, better task management, and voice recording. Once someone like Taskwise releases a client for the Pre, and I can record meetings and conference calls, etc., the Pre will be nearly perfect.

*I do use the homebrew app Palm Reader, which works well for alot of what I read. However, I really like the Barnes & Noble and Amazon ebook ecosystems, and whoever releases a Pre client first will likely get my ebook reader investment.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by toddpsyd View Post
    I have to say, I came from a Blackberry and liked that phone alot. But I got very frustrated by the OS - it was so boring and "old school" and had its issues as well. I have enjoyed my Pre immensly in comparison - and yes once a few things get tweaked (or used such as the GPU) it really will be the perfect phone in my opinion!
    The Blackberry is a lot less boring and old school than it used to be (I used to carry a monochrome 6000 series and before that an 850). OTOH the UI has not fundamentally changed since the early days and the platform is not the most flexible. It is very robust though.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    *I do use the homebrew app Palm Reader, which works well for alot of what I read. However, I really like the Barnes & Noble and Amazon ebook ecosystems, and whoever releases a Pre client first will likely get my ebook reader investment.
    Why not just buy a Nook or a Kindle then. Its a much more pleasent way to read a book.
    I concur. This little guy is the first piece of tech I've been genuinely excited about in quite some time. As a Linux sysadmin, it's so easy to understand and tweak this device! <3
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Why not just buy a Nook or a Kindle then. Its a much more pleasent way to read a book.
    I must not have been clear... I'm waiting to decide _between_ a Kindle or a nook based on who releases a Pre client first. I like the idea of being able to access my materials on my Pre when I don't happen to have my ebook reader with me.

I agree that the dedicated ebook readers are far better platforms for reading, particularly over more than just a few minutes. But for those idle few moments, the Pre is just fine.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I share the same feeling.

I checked out a few other phones after I got Pre. Nothing really impressed me enough. The only thing that made we go wow was Pixi, which was largely due to its size. It is small, tiny and light.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I must not have been clear... I'm waiting to decide _between_ a Kindle or a nook based on who releases a Pre client first. I like the idea of being able to access my materials on my Pre when I don't happen to have my ebook reader with me.

I agree that the dedicated ebook readers are far better platforms for reading, particularly over more than just a few minutes. But for those idle few moments, the Pre is just fine.
    Sorry, I misinterpreted "ebook reader investment" to mean the books, not the actual hardware.

I went with the Sony Reader which lets me borrow from the library. I recently bought the Pocket sized reader which is quite a bit bigger than a Pre but does actually fit in my jacket pocket.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Wow. I just cannot agree. The Pre is one of the worst devices I have ever owned. To compare it to a Blackberry is laughable to me. The Blackberry set the standard for email by which all else is judged. The Pre does not come close. It just isn't user-friendly for email. It lacks the user-selectibility that BB has. For business use, BB wins. The voice quality on the Pre is average, at best. It's not a decent one-handed device. You cannot elect to delete emails on the device, yet leave them on your server - a bad idea. Battery life is laughable. I can't wait for my year to lapse so I can toss it in the discard heap...I may not make it that far.
    I, too, love my Pre, despite the things other people have mentioned as issues (I see them, too. Not trying to say I don't have 'em). I believe things can only get better from here.

Yeah, I find every excuse to use my Pre, and have patched and homebrewed like crazy. Thanks developers!
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I feel the same way that you feel, Ranier. I am actually a little disappointing by the amount on negativity on this board. To be honest this is my first "smart phone", but my experience has been overwhelmingly positive. I have recommended it to anyone that will hear me talk about it. I hope that Palm has a lot of success in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Girkmonster View Post
    Wow. I just cannot agree. The Pre is one of the worst devices I have ever owned. To compare it to a Blackberry is laughable to me. The Blackberry set the standard for email by which all else is judged. The Pre does not come close. It just isn't user-friendly for email. It lacks the user-selectibility that BB has. For business use, BB wins. The voice quality on the Pre is average, at best. It's not a decent one-handed device. You cannot elect to delete emails on the device, yet leave them on your server - a bad idea. Battery life is laughable. I can't wait for my year to lapse so I can toss it in the discard heap...I may not make it that far.
    Why would you want to do that? That would confuse the hell out of most people.

I came from Palm OS running GoodLink in a corporate environment. I think webOS does everything better.

To me RIM is in the same situation that Palm was in when they hit Garnet. They really need to re-think their OS strategy before they fall on their face like Palm did.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    haha my friends and co-workers get really irritated on how i looove my phone so much lol
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    To me RIM is in the same situation that Palm was in when they hit Garnet. They really need to re-think their OS strategy before they fall on their face like Palm did.
    It's interesting you say that. I've held the same opinion for a while, but haven't seen many that agree with me.

I believe that RIM's real strength is in BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server), and I suspect they make more money off that than they do off device sales, but it's just a guess (BES is relatively expensive, and has residual recurring revenue for RIM)

However, they are in a somewhat precarious position. Their devices are become dated by newer standards (in much the same position Palm found itself), and Microsoft's EAS seems to be zeroing in as a competitor in the server market. As EAS's capabilities increase, they have another major weapon in their arsenal - they are licensing the service to other vendors. Lots of other vendors.

I think, as a company, RIM has a lot to be worried about.