1.    #1  
    Sorry for the silly question but I just wondered what are you using to switch the Pre off completely (those who do switch it off at night, that is). I find the normal procedure too much of a hassle so I'm presently turning it to airplane mode which is quicker. The drawback is that sometimes my calendar doesn't update and shows the day before, rather confusing I think.
    Is there a sort of click-and-go application to turn it off in a flash like there is for HTCs or other phones? Ta
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    In my mind "completely" off means the phone is not powered at all, much like taking the battery out. It would certainly not update calendar or anything. And it would require a boot cycle when you try to turn it on again. It does not seem like that's what you want.

Turning the phone into airplane mode turns off all wireless communications, cell, wifi and bluetooth. You would not get any updates, but your notifications and stuff should still work.

The only other "off" I can think of is just screen off and phone go into sleep mode (cell connection still on and whatever program that needs to run still running). But that's not nowhere near "complete."

Other than the three, I don't know what do you mean by off. There is really nothing in between. What do you expect the phone be doing when it is this "completely" off mode?
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  3.    #3  
    You misunderstood my point, I'd like to switch it off COMPLETELY every night but I don't like the procedure cos it's too long for my taste, then I use the airplane mode cos it's quicker (I know it's not completely switched off doing so but it's quicker and in any case it's the phone that drains the battery the most).
    When I turn the airplane mode back off in the morning (to use the phone), the calendar sometimes doesn't follow the present date and remains behind.
    Clear?

There are application for other phones that let you switch off the phone quickly (see HTC).
    Sometimes I use airplane mode and sometimes I just leave it on and put it on the Touchstone. Never had an issue with calendar updates after coming out of airplane mode but maybe because I typically open and view my calendar in the AM. Tomorrow morning, turn off airplane mode, open the calendar, and see if that will "force" a calendar update.

Just a thought.
    If you're running the new WebOS (1.3.1), you can just hold the power button in for about 5 seconds and you will be prompted to power off the phone.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneecaps View Post
    If you're running the new WebOS (1.3.1), you can just hold the power button in for about 5 seconds and you will be prompted to power off the phone.
    which you will agree it's longer than using the ariplane toggle on/off
    Use the terminal app and enter "halt".
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    which you will agree it's longer than using the ariplane toggle on/off
    Really? 5 seconds is too long? Make an app request for an app that will trigger the power menu, the homebrew guys can probably help you out.