1.    #1  
    Hi,

I love the patches and have lots installed. However with the prospect of system updates I wondered if there is a patch or homebrew application that will back up all the patches either by making a list of them on the pre or pc so that I can see all the ones I installed, ready to re-install those that work with any new update.

Ideally something would re-install them all, a bit like the emergency patch gets rids of them all.

Any thing out there that does this ?

Thanks
    +1 Getting longer and longer to reinstall patches I have so many (although it is a good problem to have in my book)
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I like this idea...but I'm not sure how practical it would be.

More than likely, if you're installing patches...then you're like me in that as soon as the new WebOS version comes out, you're installing it.

If it's a significant update...like 1.2 to 1.3.1...the patches won't be initially compatible.

I have a task list with all of my patches, so I can check off which ones are currently installed. When 1.3.1 came out, I unchecked them all after uninstalling them and updating to 1.3.1.

Then, one at a time, as they became available, I put them back on (checking them off in the Task list as I went). One of my favorites (SMS Tone Per Contact) wasn't available for 1.3.1 for like 2 weeks after it came out. Drove me nuts not being able to audibly tell the difference between a text message and an e-mail. It was like living in the 1950's!!!

My point is, if you're looking at updating your OS within a day or two of the new release, there's a VERY good chance you won't be able to uninstall all patches, update OS and reinstall all patches you previously had installed...automated or manually.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I use the memo pad to keep my list but I like your task list method better. Never thought it using it with the check boxes. Looks like I'll be moving my list to tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rege0039 View Post
    Ideally something would re-install them all, a bit like the emergency patch gets rids of them all.
    I thought about this after my first upgrade, but really, it's not practical. For one, all the patches aren't immediately available after an update. And secondly, not all of the patches are NECESSARY after an update -- no need for the text forwarding patch, for instance, since it's now part of the latest 1.3.1 update.

So it's a good idea in many regards, but I don't think it's practical. I think most of us just manually jot down a list (either on the Pre in tasks or memos, or on a computer or piece of paper) and then reinstall them one by one. Don't think there's going to ever be a way around that, but who knows?

/Kevin
  6.    #6  
    I can see the points you are all making about compatibility. I was thinking that there are lists that show which patches are compatible with what, but I guess that makes sense that it would take a while. As you say I am likely to update as soon as things come out.

I still wonder if the patches could add to a list 'somewhere' so at least you know what was in before - just automating what some of you have done with patches etc. I have 29 installed so typing them all in seems like a lot.

Could you pen and paper but where's the fun in that for a techy geek who followed the Pre all through its US launch and got it one week after UK launch !
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    The Preware app simply needs an option to export the list of
    all installed patches, or even all installed packages (sorted and labelled by
    category), so it can be copied into a memo entry and referenced later.
    You can't guarantee that each patch you had installed before
    an update will be available shortly after an update, so no way
    to automate re-install, but simply having the list handy would
    be very useful.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    The Preware app simply needs an option to export the list of
    all installed patches, or even all installed packages (sorted and labelled by
    category), so it can be copied into a memo entry and referenced later.
    You can't guarantee that each patch you had installed before
    an update will be available shortly after an update, so no way
    to automate re-install, but simply having the list handy would
    be very useful.

ian
    Love this ideas as the best possible solution to this problem (compared to me manually jotting down all installed patches for 5 minutes before running the OTA update). I think I saw there was a command line / linux script to do this, but I don't think it's been automated into Preware or another utility yet.
    There is a way to get a list of all apps and patches installed. You need to have Terminal and MvApp installed on the Pre and WebOS Quick Install on your computer. Once those are installed, use Quick Install, select Tools > Linux Commandline and type: mvapp list. This will list all apps and patches sorted by size. You can then copy and paste into notepad to print it out.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    That's useful but can be simplified.

Can use Preware to install mvapp and the Terminal app.
    Don't need QI.
    I just opened terminal app and ran
    mvapp list > /media/internal/app-patch-list.txt
    Can open that file with Doc View
    It's not ideal, but it works.

I'd still rather see Preware generate the list itself, so I can match
    the names more easily when I go back to install them later.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 12/04/2009 at 12:46 PM.
    mvapp list > /media/internal/app-patch-list.txt
    How to you type the ">" symbol in terminal app? I see "Sym" in yellow highlight when I pre the sym key but don't know how to access symbols?

Also, in terminal is there a way to paste text from the clipboard? I can see putting this line into a note for easy reference and then pasting it into the terminal app command line.

Sorry I didn't search first in the terminal app thread. I'm sure my answers are there. My mom raised me better than this, but I was already in this thread and just wanted to get to an answer.

Edit: Searched WebOS-Internals for terminal app homepage and found the shortcut: shift-. = ">" symbol.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 12/04/2009 at 12:56 PM.
    That's useful but can be simplified.
    I just assumed people would want a paper printout
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    type "ipkg -o /var list_installed | grep patches"

in the WOQI command line option to get a list of your installed patches.

Hope that helps some people...

or
    type "ipkg -o /var list_installed | grep patches > /media/internal/my_patches.txt"

using terminal and you can read it via USB or terminal
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Stay tuned... 'mvapp' will soon be morphing onto 'xorg tools' (xt command), "Power Tools for Power Users". It will still have some of the pertinent mvapp functions and a bunch of new power user functions coming.

One thing I may be doing is a patch management function so that you can easily back out, reinstall updated patches and themes en masse. Won't be ready for next weboOS update but hope to have it ready by the following (next +1) webOS update. Eventually, I hope to have a 'one button' operation to do all prep needed before/after a webOS update.

I have other plans that will show up first in xorg tools, but en masse patch management is on the plate.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    type "ipkg -o /var list_installed | grep patches"

in the WOQI command line option to get a list of your installed patches.

Hope that helps some people...

or
    type "ipkg -o /var list_installed | grep patches > /media/internal/my_patches.txt"

using terminal and you can read it via USB or terminal
    Has the path for patch listings changed in 1.3.5 (or 1.3.5.1)? I can't get this command to work any more (after previous successes).
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldyman View Post
    Has the path for patch listings changed in 1.3.5 (or 1.3.5.1)? I can't get this command to work any more (after previous successes).
    yes it has..

ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps list_installed | grep patches