1.    #1  
    I just got my Pre last night and am enjoying it a lot. I dont plan on going hog wild with apps, but is it worth it to get the preware and get the Homebrew apps? is there any real difference between apps from Homebrew and the "official" pre apps? Also, any good apps for controlling sounds/ringtones or no? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyno2 View Post
    I just got my Pre last night and am enjoying it a lot. I dont plan on going hog wild with apps, but is it worth it to get the preware and get the Homebrew apps? is there any real difference between apps from Homebrew and the "official" pre apps? Also, any good apps for controlling sounds/ringtones or no? Thanks in advance.
    1/ yes
    2/ $$$
    3/sms ringtones
    There are all sorts of great homebrew apps. Definitely worth looking into. My most used homebrew is Music Player Remix, but I have a bunch of others and like 'em all.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Homebrew apps and patches are both worth it! Install Preware! Makes the phone so much more enjoyable!
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Definitely Preware is a must...Battery Monitor is a good one which helps you see how your phone does in normal usuage and the patches are great. Many of the Homebrew apps end up working their way into the app catalog, but it is cool to work with them as they are new and upcoming. Definitely need to tweak the Pre to see the capabilities and make it your phone.

Edit: The 4x4 patch, adding the page option, the landscape email/pdf, and the LED notification patches are definitely great options that give you so much more functionality with your Pre, not to mention the apps or themes.

Just install them one by one and you will be fine!
    Last edited by DSPKweb; 12/02/2009 at 12:03 AM.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    Definitely Preware is a must...Battery Monitor is a good one which helps you see how your phone does in normal usuage and the patches are great. Many of the Homebrew apps end up working their way into the app catalog, but it is cool to work with them as they are new and upcoming. Definitely need to tweak the Pre to see the capabilities and make it your phone.

Edit: The 4x4 patch, adding the page option, the landscape email/pdf, and the LED notification patches are definitely great options that give you so much more functionality with your Pre, not to mention the apps or themes.

Just install them one by one and you will be fine!
    You can install several patches at a time as long as they don't use the same dependancies....I've done it several times already without problems...do 3 or 4 then do a luna restart....then 3 or 4 more, and so on.
  7. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I added the sms counter, slide to end call and LED patches together and they are great.
    Only homebrew I've I've tried thus far is Music Remix which is absolutely awesome! Deffo check em out...
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I think with many apps in the Apps store, it only worth it if you only can find an app you want in Homebrew. I for one has used Homebrew and very happy with it. But quite a few of homebrew apps that I initially downloaded has graduated, so I think I only have a small number that are homebrew.

I have not done any patches and tweaks and had no problem with any updates, so I am feel very luck. I am pretty busy with work, so I do not have a lot of time play with my Pre, otherwise, I would be more willing to try some of the nice patches.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    If you don't get on Homebrew you don't know what you are missing!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Agree with everyone here. Take the plunge, get Preware on your phone, and then you will wonder why you waited so long. Homebrew apps and patches are great. It can be addictive though - I went from "let me customize a few little things" to trying to get VPN working on my phone, and installing the Sprint Nav app on my Bell phone.
    i asked myself the same question. but after doing research and learning that homebrew are just apps that are in beta and will make it to the catalog, i saw no reason not to. i have just one on there for now to see how it goes and will add more as i feel comfortable.

i am concerned with the patches as i do not want to forget to uninstall them before any updates and fry my pre, but they look tempting as all get out. if i knew of a way to not allow this to happen i would consider it.

i am an avid user but not a techie so its all new to me
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Yes! Get Preware now!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    By far, the best thing I did for my Pre was to start using Quick Install and Preware for homebrew and patches. Here, to help you get started are the pages I visited for Quick Install and Preware:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

I have easily and successfully installed Quick Install on Windows 7, Vista, and XP laptops. Go for it! You will not regret it.
    Last edited by keri2000; 12/02/2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: to correct my horrible grammar
    Definitely install preware. It allows you to make it *your* phone with little effort. I originally was going to get into creating my own patches and such, but many of the things I would like to have fixed have already been done by other people, and in a way that can be backed out of with no effort.