Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    So, I've been carrying my contacts from phone to phone for about ~10 years now. I have about ~500-750 business contacts on my phones. Well, for the first time ever, apparently I'm completely screwed out of all of them. And these contacts are beyond irreplaceable. I absolutely must have these contacts without any question - they are my contacts for business, and I can not enter these in manually, it's simply out of the question.

My palm pre's screen cracked last week and only 30% of the left side of my screen would respond to touch, and only for 2 seconds after the screen was turned on. I immediately had a new one (refurbished already cracked one from the insurance company) sent to me. I did a backup of my broken pre in a very time intensive span of 2 seconds each time, successfully backed up all my info to my palm profile. I shut down my phone, activated my new one - and then i got a an error trying to pull my palm profile info ( I PRESUME because the "new" phone they sent me was on the original webos 1.0, so i updated to 1.3.1, and tried to sync my contacts again through the calender/contacts file menu, and I received back _12_ contacts, all of which were the last 12 contacts i had added this week. Nothing else.

Now, I'm sure that all my contacts are still on my old pre - but of course I can't even USE this damn phone now because it has an alert that pops up saying my old phone is no longer logged onto my palm profile. My question is - how the hell do I get my contacts off my old pre and onto my new one - palm profile is definitely the worst thing ever invented and has completely unequivocally failed in every sense of it's purpose.
    For precious contacts I would ways have more than one backup plan. In my case its in Outlook and Google.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Either way I need these contacts or the pre hits the bottom of the trash can and I'm heading back to an iphone. I just simply cannot rely on a device that can lose all of it's data at any moment with no way to retrieve it. I hope someone here has a way to access the contact info on my old pre. I spent the last ~5 months telling every I know how great the pre is, but if this ends up being the case I can't count on this phone for business. I do backup my contact information regularly, but the most important information is usually the most recent, and I'm missing ~80 contacts from the last month and 2 weeks that I absolutely must have.
    Contact palm customer service. This is a known issue and they may be able to rescue your contacts. Also, when you get a new/refurb create a fake/alternate palm profile the first time you turn it on and update the os. Then restart the phone and enter your original profile. Now all your contacts should transfer with no problems (this is for future reference of course...for now talk to palm).
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    You're in luck! Take the phone into the Sprint store. The newest 1.3.1 allows you to put the phone into USB mode with Orange-Sym-U and their Celebrite phonebook transfer machine got a recent update (yesterday!) that will pull your numbers off with no problem! They may need to reactivate the phone temporarily, but probably not.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Geez I sure hope so, I'm talking to Sergio over at palm chat right now, let's hope magic happens.
    Sounds great! Pyrex - hope this works out for you..
    Sorry to hear that but in your case you should never rely on just one source anyway... With over 1000 contacts there is no way id just rely on palm's or anyone else's cloud.. You should at least back your contacts up in outlook... Heck I only have 200 contacts and I know better
    so if they are able to fix the issue for you this time, are you going to change your backup methods in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    Sorry to hear that but in your case you should never rely on just one source anyway... With over 1000 contacts there is no way id just rely on palm's or anyone else's cloud.. You should at least back your contacts up in outlook... Heck I only have 200 contacts and I know better
    it's easier to blame someone else and/or a device.
    Same happened to me. After answering some questions with a representative, Palm Voice Support will call you in a couple days and restore you to a previous backup with all of your contacts. Make sure your patches are removed before the Voice Support Technician asks you to do a partial erase. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

EDIT: I forgot to, but you could try asking for a touchstone for your troubles.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    They can rescue your contacts.
    Make sure you go to a high tier palm support person.

He had a backup file from like a week or so before I got the new phone.
    And so he set it up while I did a partial erase and I got my 200 contacts back.
    Before you go to the Sprint store, look in the main articles on this site, there is one about backing up the PalmDatabase.db3 if you have WOSQI installed. That should contain all of your contacts on your old phone as well. You might want to pull that file off of your old phone before any technician touches it so that you have that as a backup as well.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Okay this guy appears to be completely devoid of all technical knowledge. I'm walking him through the process to enable my original device so I can perform another backup on a new palm profile account and then attempt to retrieve it with my new phone.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    lol apparently once sprint disables your phone it's bricked. I can't even access the UI any longer, and palm says the data is irretrievable. I can't believe it.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I can understand you're upset about "losing" your contacts but "threatening" us with ditching your Pre for an iPhone won't fix your problem.

Try calling Palm tech support like others have mentioned and talk to a higher tier tech support. Keep a cool head as being uncooperative doesn't help anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrex View Post
    Geez I sure hope so, I'm talking to Sergio over at palm chat right now, let's hope magic happens.
    If you get it working, use this forum to find out how get your information out of the Pre, and into a manually backed up system. Finally, subscribe to a could service, and keep the information there.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Threatening you? Why would I care about the community in reference to my work flow? I'm threatening palm and sprint essentially - their product does not meet my needs. I use it as my primary work device, it is imperative that it works - and if it doesn't work, I need to at the bare minimum retrieve my data. I had an iphone for 2 years, and had to replace it several times, but I never lost any contact information. I still have that phone right here as my secondary. Essentially what I'm saying is since all of my contact data came from my iphone, and now all of my new information has been completely lost, I'm back where I started - with an iphone with all of my contact information from a few months ago. Why spend all the time rebuilding my contact information on a device that isn't reliable if somehow gets damaged or needs to be replaced for any reason? I understand everyone here loves the pre - but I can't trust the phone anymore, I can't back up it's data continuously with the presumption it's going to fail at any moment and I can't retrieve my data. I have used palm products in the past and never ran into this kind of trouble. I wanted to switch to the Pre because I had been following it's progress for years, and I wanted to support Palm and an American company that needed my business. Unfortunately it seems Apple has a more reliable way of retrieving and storing my contact data. I'm sure some of you might think I'm being arrogant or unruly, but in all of this frustration lies a truth about the Pre - the palm profile service and centralized server design is flawed, and because of this one shortcoming I can't trust it any longer, and they've lost a customer. Sometime's is just that simple. I liked the phone, but I can't trust it.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If you get it working, use this forum to find out how get your information out of the Pre, and into a manually backed up system. Finally, subscribe to a could service, and keep the information there.
    Palm has informed me that contact information is encrypted and cannot be retrieve via the USB cable.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Then go back to your iphone. Surely your contacts are still there, just a few months old.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast