Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 103
  1. pyrex's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #81  
    Well, Here is what has transpired. I went into the sprint store, they couldn't pull any data off of my old pre with the cellebrite system. Apparently when you log out your phone from your palm profile, all of the contact data is deleted on that phone. So, when you get your new phone, and it fails to pull your contacts over, you're essentially screwed. I was told by Palm that a higher level tech would be returning my call about retrieving my contact data. I never received a call back. I called palm back a week later and they had no record of my conversation with Sergio. I e-mailed them the chat log, and I haven't received an e-mail or call back a week since.
    Last edited by Pyrex; 12/11/2009 at 07:27 PM.
  2. pyrex's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Unfortunately, there are different levels of technical support. He's incorrect that the data is encrypted, it is not. In one respect, the guy is correct, the information cannot be retrived simply by using a USB cable. But it can be retrieved using using a USB cable. I know even that is confusing, I'll try to explain (do with the information what you choose).

    If you plug the Pre up and use it as a USB storage device, the information is not accessible.

    However, if you put the device in Developer Mode (by typing a command on the screen), you can access the underlying Linux system.

    The instructions for that can be found here:

    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

    Once you have access to the underlying system, you can copy the database that actually contains your unencrypted information, including your contact list. There are tools that you can run to extract that data, or if you prefer, you can send it to me, and I'll extract the data and send it to you in a CSV format.

    BTW, when I way "extract", it's not because the data is encrypted, it's not. It's because the database contains a lot of different information, and is difficult to use in its "raw" format. You'll want the data in something you can import into whatever you end up with.

    Sorry you're having difficulty. I really think this is one of the major "public awareness" issues that Palm has fallen short on. What you were doing is not "cloud computing". What you were doing was storing all your information on a device that was doing an over the air backup. That's not cloud computing. Your backup was corrupted, so when you went to a new device, the restored backup did not have the correct information.

    Some folks are having successful results with Palm recovering their backup. Others are not. Were it me, my first attempt would be at getting the information off the device.

    Good luck. Personally, I think you're giving up on the device too soon, but I can definitely understand why you would.

    ====
    After reading further in the thread, the tech support was right - the data on their server is encrypted. It was a nonsensical answer though, as you cannot access the data on their server with a USB cable.

    However, the data on your device is not encryptied. It's in a standard SQL Lite database.
    Once the phone has been logged out it's bricked. You can't use any part of the UI at all.
  3. pyrex's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by carlsenga View Post
    Sounds like you have a problem with damaging your phones. Don't know of any phone on any system will fit your needs. Maybe a Zach Morris phone will hold up to your abuse! And you are on here slandering and flying off the handle. You didn't take the steps to back up everything properly. Every phone with any carrier has different methods to backup. You didn't take them, and now are mad about this. You said that you have had your Pre for this long, and you have not properly backed it up..... I would say this is a user issue.
    LOL what an *****. I pushed to slide the phone open and it cracked - that's the entire story from beginning to end. I shouldn't have to resort to 3rd party services to make their product reliable. Your comment is so laughable it doesn't even merit a proper response, you've pretty much displayed your ignorance to everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by carlsenga View Post
    There are ways to back it up. Most people that buy a smartphone know to back it up. this guy didn't. So he loses. He should be mad at himself. Here is the problem, guys like this expect everything to be done for them without any effort. You can't do that with technology. Palm's back up service is fine, and clear. Just you MIGHT have to read a PARAGRAPH on how to backup. I know that asks too much!! But it all works, just put the extra 10% of time upfront to save the 150% of effort later when you break your phone. It is not up to Palm to promote another 3rd Party site either. Why would they do that? Get serious.
    Just look at this stupidity in reasoning. You're telling me it's a user's fault that they didn't use a 3rd party program as a crutch to a flawed product, and THEN you tell someone THEY are stupid thinking that Palm would tell people about this? You blow my mind kid - I hope you don't end up in business some day - I would never want to get stuck with one of your products. To simply bring this ridiculous reasoning to light I'll offer up an example of your argument. You purchase a car which has wheels which can fall off at any moment, and when they do you lose your entire family - however you're at fault because you didn't utilize Firestone's special wheels. You then ask why the car manufacturer didn't tell you about this, and you're laughed at for thinking the car manufacturer should have told you about the special Firestone wheels. Does that not sound absolutely ridiculous to you?

    Palm's service is not fine and clear - it's completely flawed - there are hundreds of posts on this very forum that make that crystal clear. In this very thread you have read posts about problems. Palm even marketed their revolutionary palm profile service as a selling point. I not only read every bit of what you're supposed to do, but I made sure it was all done properly - and it failed without any question. The phone was properly backed up to palm's profile service just before it was logged off - and then a few minutes later my new phone was properly logged in, updated to 1.3.1, and then the profile data was retrieved - all 2% of it. Why are you so mad at users? What exactly drives you to talk to people in this fashion?

    As far as my data management, I backup my phone once every 2 months on average. I receive on average 10-30 contacts a week, so there is a substantial amount of information there. So, if my phone craps out a month, 2 weeks, or even a few days I've most likely lost some of the most recent information stored. Because of this very issue, I was interested in the pre and it's real time daily backups. Some people continue to say "you should have used google" - Well, that's not what I purchased.. palm profile is the service I purchased - as well as every one of you. For casual social users the pre is good, but for business it's got some serious problems people should know about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Well, in all fairness, the Palm Profile is NOT a paid service. It's offered free of charge. Now granted, if you meant PAID as in paid for a Pre/Pixi, I agree that there should be some expectation of reliability with Palm's solution.
    if it's marketed as a feature (and it certainly was), and only available on their devices then it is a paid service. They are using this feature to increase their sales, it's an ancillary product. And, as further evidence to that, it is one of the primary reasons why I switched over to the Pre.


    Now, to all of the people that blame customers for Palm's shortcomings there is something they should consider. When you have a product in which the end user's experience with that product is considerably enlightened by it's community it is important to consider other people's issues with the product. Now, I'm nothing special myself, I am a software designer, and I've created a few apps for the iphone and android. I was working on releasing my first app for the Pre, but because of this experience I haven't decided whether or not I should pursue it. When you have a problem with a product like this, you inevitably lose customers, and thereby a user base. Without a user base you lose the community, and without a community you don't get apps, as frequent updates or patches. Something to consider. Although I'm sure all of the people that jump to blame the customer are not at all effected by my own experience, however in the long run i'm one of a very small amount that actually found their way onto this forum to give a personal opinion. Imagine how many customers have had this same experience and now have a Hero, or an iPhone? Unfortunately in this very competitive industry if your product doesn't launch very solid, you can easily damage your reputation to mortal extents. As a developer I look at the Pre as a potential investment opportunity... should I invest my time to produce apps for it's relatively small user base in comparison to the iphone and android based units? Do I think it's an opportunity to establish a good foundation for a growing community? Do I think the community will grow? Those are the kinds of questions that make or break an operating system or a device. I'm not sure where I am right now on this device and OS, but I certainly will not recommend the platform to other developers in the community at the moment - I'm not sure how viabile this platform will be in the future because of the various shortcomings. I'm not going to make any friends on this forum stating my actual thoughts on WebOS and Palm's platform, but at the moment I cannot see WebOS or Palm's devices being successful in their current state. I sincerely hope Palm is able to remedy the situation, for their company's sake and my own personal opinions of them - I want them to succeed. However, as a business decision I won't invest in them at the moment. I encourage people to put forth their thoughts, and I can at least take solace in the fact that many seem to agree with my frustrations and even more took the time to read my experience. Furthermore, I hope that maybe someone at Palm might be able to use this criticism to better improve their product.
    Last edited by Pyrex; 12/11/2009 at 08:10 PM.
  4. pyrex's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #84  
    that is a lot of reading.. haha. I still have my old Pre that I haven't returned, can anyone please suggest a way to access data in the device without the use of the UI? Is it even possible?
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by carlsenga View Post
    There are ways to back it up. Most people that buy a smartphone know to back it up. this guy didn't. So he loses. He should be mad at himself. Here is the problem, guys like this expect everything to be done for them without any effort. You can't do that with technology. Palm's back up service is fine, and clear. Just you MIGHT have to read a PARAGRAPH on how to backup. I know that asks too much!! But it all works, just put the extra 10% of time upfront to save the 150% of effort later when you break your phone. It is not up to Palm to promote another 3rd Party site either. Why would they do that? Get serious.
    I seriously, seriously have to disagree with you. If Palm had a native desktop PIM management app for the Pre, like every other platform besides WebOS and Android, then this situation might never arise in the first place.

    Plus the O.P has every right to compare his experience with the Pre with his iPhone. Right now i have an iPod Touch, and all you do is as much as plug it to your computer and iTunes launches and syncs everything (contacts, calender and so forth) and even makes a backup you can restore back to, just like that. There's no fussing with the cloud or hacky methods or any of that sort.

    Palm positions the Pre for the "fat middle" of the smartphone crowd, basically for the "rest of us", those who are not necessarily all business or blackberry-esque. So if i walk away from the Sprint store with my brand new Pre after being sold the spiel and glory of the cloud and i'm happily entering my info knowing in the back of my head that the cloud is taking care of all my info, how would the O.P then be blamed when said data is not accessible?

    I remember the glory days of Palm Desktop Manager. How Palm never thought of assigning the few people it would take to develop a desktop PIM for WebOS is beyond me. The Pre and it's "ecosystem" is turning into something very complicated that needs constant baby-ing. Some of these annoyances would be eliminated if Palm just developed a P.I.M sync app for the desktop.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    Let this be a warning to everyone out there that isn't syncing. Create a freaking GMail account for your contacts. Even if you don't use Gmail for email. Get an account for your contacts.

    If you don't backup your stuff, don't ****** when it abruptly disappears forever.
    Might i suggest that you email this recommendation/suggestion to Palm as well for them to print on every Pre box in bright red bold lettering? It sure would come in handy before the Palm Profile server borks your data.

    Isn't the benefit of WebOS the fact that......... "Use over-the-air Palm Services to automatically back up your important data, restore it, or even remotely erase your data if your phone is lost or stolen. You also receive your software updates over the air without connecting to your computer"

    The last quote was pulled from Palm's website.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  7. #87  
    i've logged out of phones and changed profiles without bricking the phone...I'm gonna try switching from my pre's profile to the girls pixi and back latter. Maybe I'm missing something...when I got a replacement pre I forgot to update first and lost a bunch, then I logged out created a fale one, updated and the logged out and into my real profile and presto all was well...crappy situation for sure.

    Palm should have made it clear backup held 1 @ a time.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 12/11/2009 at 09:30 PM.
  8. #88  
    I dont see any reason to blame palm or sprint. If you have that many contacts then surely your smart enough to use a second backup method. I could be wrong tho.
  9. #89  
    your right he should have. However his stupidity is no excuse for Palm not letting us know backup was limited to 1 copy. Palm has to design the system for the lowest common denominator. The backup system needs a change. Good news is his misfortune will change it. Bad news? His misfortune.
  10. pyrex's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
       #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    your right he should have. However his stupidity is no excuse for Palm not letting us know backup was limited to 1 copy. Palm has to design the system for the lowest common denominator. The backup system needs a change. Good news is his misfortune will change it. Bad news? His misfortune.
    There's just too many children on this forum.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrex View Post
    There's just too many children on this forum.
    leave?
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrex View Post
    Threatening you? Why would I care about the community in reference to my work flow? I'm threatening palm and sprint essentially - their product does not meet my needs. I use it as my primary work device, it is imperative that it works - and if it doesn't work, I need to at the bare minimum retrieve my data. I had an iphone for 2 years, and had to replace it several times, but I never lost any contact information. I still have that phone right here as my secondary. Essentially what I'm saying is since all of my contact data came from my iphone, and now all of my new information has been completely lost, I'm back where I started - with an iphone with all of my contact information from a few months ago. Why spend all the time rebuilding my contact information on a device that isn't reliable if somehow gets damaged or needs to be replaced for any reason? I understand everyone here loves the pre - but I can't trust the phone anymore, I can't back up it's data continuously with the presumption it's going to fail at any moment and I can't retrieve my data. I have used palm products in the past and never ran into this kind of trouble. I wanted to switch to the Pre because I had been following it's progress for years, and I wanted to support Palm and an American company that needed my business. Unfortunately it seems Apple has a more reliable way of retrieving and storing my contact data. I'm sure some of you might think I'm being arrogant or unruly, but in all of this frustration lies a truth about the Pre - the palm profile service and centralized server design is flawed, and because of this one shortcoming I can't trust it any longer, and they've lost a customer. Sometime's is just that simple. I liked the phone, but I can't trust it.
    Two words, Apple ******
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchroni1 View Post
    Two words, Apple ******
    i agree
    just look at my signature
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrex View Post
    There's just too many children on this forum.
    cause an adult would trust a cellphone maker with very important business contacts, not make a separate backup and go to work telling his boss...but my palm ate it.."Customer Y, really sorry I missed that call, would you believe my phone just died and everything vanished"..you sir, need to grow up and realize you are the only one responsible for your information. Anyway you look at it. How many times have their been data failures? From personal info being stolen to **entire databases being wiped....it happens and the only ones crying are the ones who entrust another with their most important info without a secondary plan.. I wonder if you keep all your newest software on a single drive at home? Again, palm screwed the pooch with only one back up...you just paid for the motel room.

    but on the brightside, your moaning and some bad press will see palm make changes.

    I've replaced several Pres and my contacts have made it to each one. The loss of your info is sad...but man you had other options to back it up. If they are that important, why trust them to a new operating system from a company who has never offered an backup solution besides desktop sync. With your logic I think you should give your will, and deeds to Danger to look after.....
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 12/12/2009 at 02:05 AM.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    cause an adult would trust a cellphone maker with very important business contacts, not make a separate backup and go to work telling his boss...but my palm ate it.."Customer Y, really sorry I missed that call, would you believe my phone just died and everything vanished"..you sir, need to grow up and realize you are the only one responsible for your information. Anyway you look at it. How many times have their been data failures? From personal info being stolen to **entire databases being wiped....it happens and the only ones crying are the ones who entrust another with their most important info without a secondary plan.. I wonder if you keep all your newest software on a single drive at home? Again, palm screwed the pooch with only one back up...you just paid for the motel room.

    but on the brightside, your moaning and some bad press will see palm make changes.

    I've replaced several Pres and my contacts have made it to each one. The loss of your info is sad...but man you had other options to back it up. If they are that important, why trust them to a new operating system from a company who has never offered an backup solution besides desktop sync. With your logic I think you should give your will, and deeds to Danger to look after.....
    It's not just that he should be doing backups but that the backups automatically happen if he's syncing his info as synergy promotes or is simply doing what smartphones have made standard.

    Back in the day, the reason one bought a smartphone was to organize information. You had your info synced to multiple devices. What was on your computer was now on your phone. You input info on one and it syncs to the other. These days you can do this easily on multiple devices.

    As far as my data management, I backup my phone once every 2 months on average. I receive on average 10-30 contacts a week, so there is a substantial amount of information there. So, if my phone craps out a month, 2 weeks, or even a few days I've most likely lost some of the most recent information stored. Because of this very issue, I was interested in the pre and it's real time daily backups. Some people continue to say "you should have used google" - Well, that's not what I purchased.. palm profile is the service I purchased
    But nope, not our business guy with the wall of text. He apparently uses his phone like a dumbphone. How could a real smartphone user lose contacts if they are using it appropriately?

    The Palm profile should not factor AT ALL when it comes to your contacts & calendar and is not the cloud everyone keeps talking about. One should have to do no more than simply enter their outlook/exchange or google/yahoo info in a smartphone and it PULLS it in. What's on your phone is on your computer. Enter info in one place and it appears in the other.

    I have a computer at work, two at home, a laptop, an iphone, and at one time a Pre. All had access to my important PIM info with a simple set up. No matter which device i was using, any changes or additions to my info was reflected across all my devices at once. Add/edit a contact using my iphone? It now appeared on the Pre and every computer i use.

    This is one of the main reasons (if not number one reason) to own a smartphone. To be able to sync your info..
  16. #96  
    I agree, if the device supports a desktop sync. If it dosent, and that's what you require you've shot yourself in the foot....time to accept responsibility....
    Not sure why palm felt it wasn't a priority. A misstep I'm sure. But noone is being told there is an easy sync with the pre. Not without using a 3rd party. Maybe palm thought it wasn't needed....a casulty of when business equipment and consumer geared equipment collide?
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I agree, if the device supports a desktop sync. If it dosent, and that's what you require you've shot yourself in the foot....time to accept responsibility....
    Not sure why palm felt it wasn't a priority. A misstep I'm sure. But noone is being told there is an easy sync with the pre. Not without using a 3rd party. Maybe palm thought it wasn't needed....a casulty of when business equipment and consumer geared equipment collide?
    Agree. Palm has to make it user friendly and ***** proof to use and set up. It's not... There's too much for the user to do involving google addons, 3rd party apps, or what not. Most are not using exchange or know how.

    And on top of ignoring that, Palm is simply saying their palm profile will take care of things. It won't. And that's not promoting a smartphone experience anyways. Just a bad lazy move on Palm's part.
  18. #98  
    What I don't get is the "Palm will take care of things" part. If you entrust your livelyhood to anyone company, your asking for trouble. It can't be considered anything but stupid to put your golden eggs in one basket. And even more so when the company your putting the eggs with is a company with no experience handling eggs.
  19. #99  
    If it is business critical you need more than one copy and you need them in different places and in different formats.

    For example, we keep two copies of important computer files at home, one copy on an automated remote backup service (Mozy) and one we sync via FTP to a low cost Web account (1And1).

    It costs about $75/year and a capital cost of ~$250 for the home hardware but it allows us to back up over 500GB of data and store it in 4 places at 3 physical locations. Any one could fail at any time but the chances of all 4 failing at the same time are very low.

    (that said, I really hope you can get you contacts back...it totally sucks to believe you have something covered and find you don't!!)
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    If it is business critical you need more than one copy and you need them in different places and in different formats.

    For example, we keep two copies of important computer files at home, one copy on an automated remote backup service (Mozy) and one we sync via FTP to a low cost Web account (1And1).

    It costs about $75/year and a capital cost of ~$250 for the home hardware but it allows us to back up over 500GB of data and store it in 4 places at 3 physical locations. Any one could fail at any time but the chances of all 4 failing at the same time are very low.

    (that said, I really hope you can get you contacts back...it totally sucks to believe you have something covered and find you don't!!)
    That's the ticket! +1
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions