Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 103
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Well, in all fairness, the Palm Profile is NOT a paid service. It's offered free of charge. Now granted, if you meant PAID as in paid for a Pre/Pixi, I agree that there should be some expectation of reliability with Palm's solution.
    Sure it's "free", as long as you bought a Pre and pay for Sprnt service right?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post


    Sure it's "free", as long as you bought a Pre and pay for Sprnt service right?
    No argument there.

    I suppose it all depends on how you look at it. If you buy a phone and pay a subscription to use it as a phone then what else can you expect? Palm supplies the phone and the backup "service". Sprint supplies the network "service". Your one-time cost of buying the phone, not withstanding, is separate from the subscription to Sprint. So are you really paying for a backup solution from Palm? Could be considered either way.

    For me, it's irrelevant since I'm not relying on Palm or Sprint to back up my data. I do that myself.

    I'll get off mynow.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    ...
    It doesn't rely on cloud "profiles" tied to one phone that apparently you can't use on a replacement phone without jumping through hoops even though you paid for it. It just restores, end of story.
    ...
    Sorry, but that's a misuse of the term. The profile is not using "the cloud". It's an over the air backup.

    It's fre, you're not paying for it. Sorry, the "you're paying for the Sprint service, so you're paying for it" argument doesn't apply. My wife pays the same price I do for her Centro service. She has no OTA backup. The service is free.

    That said, it should work. Palm goofed on this one.
  4. #64  
    "Now, I'm sure that all my contacts are still on my old pre - but of course I can't even USE this damn phone now because it has an alert that pops up saying my old phone is no longer logged onto my palm profile. My question is - how the hell do I get my contacts off my old pre and onto my new one - palm profile is definitely the worst thing ever invented and has completely unequivocally failed in every sense of it's purpose."

    How is that not part of the service?? Confused here. The back-up is from his Palm profile, right?

    Perhaps I'm reading wrong but he can't get access to his profile. His profile is tied to the Pre and Sprint service? You're sure you're not paying for this, even if not directly?? Can the Pre be used without a profile?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/02/2009 at 03:25 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #65  
    Don't know if this works or not, but see: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...used-wifi.html

    Certainly not a perfect solution (or even elegant), but it is an option. Of course Palm needs to make it so the Pre can be used without having to go through this.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It's interesting to see people blame the customer for paying a company just to lose their data.

    And you think Google is the answer to everything? It's free so guess what, they actually have even LESS INCENTIVE to protect your data. Although there'd likely be a HUGE public backlash if their servers went down, but since it's free, no guarantees there either.
    Totally agree, people do complain too much. However, technology is technology whether its free or not. A company that is based on the sole purpose to provide a paid service may have more reason to ensure the best service...but wouldnt a company such as Google? I had a paid security system for my home that I paid out the a** for. Performed a test to see what their service would do if my home alarm was triggered. They called, I said I was a visitor from out of town, they said ok since I knew the owners/my full name and birthdate and never sent a patrol car to ensure everything was ok. Never asked for the security word. Big name compaines that take your money dont do as much as you think.

    You may pay for a service, lose data/information that is priceless, and what will your paid provider do? I dont ask to be smart, Im genuinely curious because all I've ever relied on has been the services of my own ability to ensure my data is retrievable ...whether on a personal computer, removable hard drive, etc...based on the lack of comforting reassurances and reimbursements for a loss Personally, my data and that of my company is priceless, figuratively and literally. Having the contacts information for some people I have cannot have a price on it. So why would I rely on another for security? Again, genuinely asking, what guarantees or reimbursements do the paid providers make?
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by brian.johnson115 View Post
    Totally agree, people do complain too much. However, technology is technology whether its free or not. A company that is based on the sole purpose to provide a paid service may have more reason to ensure the best service...but wouldnt a company such as Google? I had a paid security system for my home that I paid out the a** for. Performed a test to see what their service would do if my home alarm was triggered. They called, I said I was a visitor from out of town, they said ok since I knew the owners/my full name and birthdate and never sent a patrol car to ensure everything was ok. Never asked for the security word. Big name compaines that take your money dont do as much as you think.

    You may pay for a service, lose data/information that is priceless, and what will your paid provider do? I dont ask to be smart, Im genuinely curious because all I've ever relied on has been the services of my own ability to ensure my data is retrievable ...whether on a personal computer, removable hard drive, etc...based on the lack of comforting reassurances and reimbursements for a loss Personally, my data and that of my company is priceless, figuratively and literally. Having the contacts information for some people I have cannot have a price on it. So why would I rely on another for security? Again, genuinely asking, what guarantees or reimbursements do the paid providers make?
    What do paid providers do?

    Apparently MSFT(Danger) got off their and actually set about restoring the data they negligently lost. That was the only good thing to come out of that mess since it should never have happened in the first place.

    Apple does nothing but give months of free service, so I don't use MM.

    I do have domain email but I actually back up everything important locally STILL. I guess I'm not a big fan of leaving important info on servers, even Google They had some hiccups keeping documents private, another reason to be wary.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    ...
    Perhaps I'm reading wrong but he can't get access to his profile. His profile is tied to the Pre and Sprint service? You're sure you're not paying for this, even if not directly?? Can the Pre be used without a profile?...
    Yes, you're reading it wrong. The Pre he's talking about can't get access to the profile, because it's no longer in service. He switched to his replacement Pre.
    His data is still on the phone. He'll have to either switch service back to that phone, or access it by hooking up to a USB cable under DEV mode.

    He has access to his profile on his new phone, but that doesn't have the old data he wants.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yes, you're reading it wrong. The Pre he's talking about can't get access to the profile, because it's no longer in service. He switched to his replacement Pre.
    His data is still on the phone. He'll have to either switch service back to that phone, or access it by hooking up to a USB cable under DEV mode.

    He has access to his profile on his new phone, but that doesn't have the old data he wants.
    But shouldn't the rest of his info have been in the Profile when he backed it up? And a Profile is needed to use the Pre? That's why I consider it paid for. Unless you DON'T need a profile to use the Pre with Sprint.

    P.S. Looking at the set-up link, it looks like you do need a profile. So I'm not so sure about it not being paid for. Looks like you paid Palm for it if anything.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/02/2009 at 04:14 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But shouldn't the rest of his info have been in the Profile when he backed it up? And a Profile is needed to use the Pre? That's why I consider it paid for. Unless you DON'T need a profile to use the Pre with Sprint.

    P.S. Looking at the set-up link, it looks like you do need a profile. So I'm not so sure about it not being paid for. Looks like you paid Palm for it if anything.
    You need a profile.

    The profile didn't fail. The back up did.

    He got a new phone. It pulled the bad data down from the backed up profile, and he ended up short.

    The profile on his current phone works, and has all the data it "knows" to have.
  11. #71  
    I understand he got a new phone and tried to resync from the back-up. And the back-up is a feature of the Profile, yes or no?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrex View Post
    Either way I need these contacts or the pre hits the bottom of the trash can and I'm heading back to an iphone. I just simply cannot rely on a device that can lose all of it's data at any moment with no way to retrieve it. I hope someone here has a way to access the contact info on my old pre. I spent the last ~5 months telling every I know how great the pre is, but if this ends up being the case I can't count on this phone for business. I do backup my contact information regularly, but the most important information is usually the most recent, and I'm missing ~80 contacts from the last month and 2 weeks that I absolutely must have.
    I'm sure its been mentioned, but something similar happened to me. only I read on here that the issue is bringing a backup from 1.3.1 to a new pre with 1.1.0....I immediately reset and used a fake new profile to update, then after brining the new pre to 1.3.1 reset and signed into my old profile...my contacts and apps were all there....in fact it even kept the 5 launcher pages from the add a page tweak...whew that was a close one...gotta do it before the backup replaces your old one though!
  13. rothoof's Avatar
    Posts
    510 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #73  
    may be too late but try this thread, this guy had the same problem and got it fixed
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ue-people.html
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yes, you're reading it wrong. The Pre he's talking about can't get access to the profile, because it's no longer in service. He switched to his replacement Pre.
    His data is still on the phone. He'll have to either switch service back to that phone, or access it by hooking up to a USB cable under DEV mode.

    He has access to his profile on his new phone, but that doesn't have the old data he wants.
    Is it even possible to get a phone into developer mode if it is not connected to a palm profile or if the screen is not responding, so you can't click the developer mode icon even if you type in the code to show it? (forgive if the question has been asked/answered before)
  15. #75  
    I don't understand the animosity some of the posters have here- the original poster is right- this phone should NEVER had been released without a LOCAL 1st party means to get contacts onto and OFF of the phone quickly, securely and easily. It's WHY people buy a smartphone over a standard cell phone. Drag and drop VCARD VCAL or CalDav or comma seperated file support would have been all that was needed to back up or restore the phone- not even a desktop app. The 1st gen Ipods even added a patch to view contacts by dropping a vcard file to a contact folder on the device in drive mode... that was 8 YEARS ago... PRE still can't do this?

    Sorry but everyone singing praises of Google and the like need to realize Palm Pre was lazy and ignored the needs of the legacy Treo user plain and simple. They openly admit they didn't make the PRe for those users! I love my pre- but I make no excuses for thier shortsightedness. It's for this exact reason I don't recommend it to my wife as she NEEDS the solid hotsync ability of the Treo 755 and Palm Desktop.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by whippingboy View Post
    I don't understand the animosity some of the posters have here- the original poster is right- this phone should NEVER had been released without a LOCAL 1st party means to get contacts onto and OFF of the phone quickly, securely and easily. It's WHY people buy a smartphone over a standard cell phone. Drag and drop VCARD VCAL or CalDav or comma seperated file support would have been all that was needed to back up or restore the phone- not even a desktop app. The 1st gen Ipods even added a patch to view contacts by dropping a vcard file to a contact folder on the device in drive mode... that was 8 YEARS ago... PRE still can't do this?

    Sorry but everyone singing praises of Google and the like need to realize Palm Pre was lazy and ignored the needs of the legacy Treo user plain and simple. They openly admit they didn't make the PRe for those users! I love my pre- but I make no excuses for thier shortsightedness. It's for this exact reason I don't recommend it to my wife as she NEEDS the solid hotsync ability of the Treo 755 and Palm Desktop.
    hardware can, OS doesn't. If you cant wait for it to find its way into a easy and friendly way to get them besides rooting..., then Pre is not right for you at the moment, and was not right during every single day of the 30 day trial period. It's possible to do, so its still possible it will be available. So they told you it was a different phone than the treos series, and your upset its missing treo features??
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by whippingboy View Post
    I don't understand the animosity some of the posters have here- the original poster is right- this phone should NEVER had been released without a LOCAL 1st party means to get contacts onto and OFF of the phone quickly, securely and easily. It's WHY people buy a smartphone over a standard cell phone. Drag and drop VCARD VCAL or CalDav or comma seperated file support would have been all that was needed to back up or restore the phone- not even a desktop app. The 1st gen Ipods even added a patch to view contacts by dropping a vcard file to a contact folder on the device in drive mode... that was 8 YEARS ago... PRE still can't do this?

    Sorry but everyone singing praises of Google and the like need to realize Palm Pre was lazy and ignored the needs of the legacy Treo user plain and simple. They openly admit they didn't make the PRe for those users! I love my pre- but I make no excuses for thier shortsightedness. It's for this exact reason I don't recommend it to my wife as she NEEDS the solid hotsync ability of the Treo 755 and Palm Desktop.
    I dont believe ( but could be wrong) that anyone is singing PRAISES exactly. Personally, I mentioned Google for the mere mention of an alternative other than Palms current dysfunctional system. It seems as if the OP was hoping to rely directly on his phone for all of his data.Yes, Palm gave the impression that their back up was reliable. It would seem logical that if the data was THAT important you would have a secondary source to keep that data...and at the very least Google is an option. Or your home computer! Is it guaranteed? No absolutely not. However, when any new technology comes out, upon initial release why would you rely solely on that new technology? Especially when history has shown that new phones tend to have issues? Personally, Im not making excuses for Palm. Im merely making a suggestion that the OP take into consideration that regardless how reliable and great the phone is (Pre or other), you should never rely solely on that device for everything.
  18. J_Bone's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #78  
    +1 to those that think Palm dropped the ball on this one. I am a fan and have had, for the most part, a decent experience with my Pre.

    Someone earlier in the thread took a stab at the OP by using a desktop as an example, that anyone who values their PC data would have it backed up on a external HD. Basically saying the OP should have known better.

    Palm sells their Profile (not literally for money, as there have been comments about paid vs free services) as the backup. So a 3rd party service, like Google, is actually the backup TO THE BACKUP. Does the AVERAGE PC user back their data up on 2 separate external drives? My guess is no so I think it is pretty harsh to be hard on the guy for being upset. IMO, the average is user sees the Palm Profile as a reliable backup and something they would list in the Pro column when considering whether or not to buy a Pre. Sadly, I would have to list it in the Con side for now.

    Hopefully Pre users will connect themselves with good informations sources, like this board, so that they will be informed that you really shouldn't view Palm's backup as a backup since it is apparently very unreliable, at this time.
  19. #79  
    Correct me if I'm wrong- but the Pre only backs up the PALM PROFILE correct? So if you use Google as your contact/calendar profile- the PALM backup method would not help - because it's backing up the PALM profile- which has NOTHING because you're using google as your profile!

    Again, I fault Palm- cloud computing is a great idea- a phone to wrangle all cloud subscriptions is a FANTASTIC idea-

    NOT BEING ABLE to back up the PHONE and all of it's couds via very small data footprint via a true backup file and and method to a COMPUTER is just plain dumb.

    For the record- I owned Sidekicks for YEARS - I loved the cloud idea- I also loved the fact they provided a DESKTOP web app for better functionality. I HATED they kept your info hostage and there was no EXPORT PIM data function on that- it was one of the reasons I went BACK TO PALM - now they treat Pre users like Tmobile with the sidekick. (use 3rd party methods to sync and no native backup or export of your PIM data)
  20. #80  
    total fail on palm's part. and you guys that are giving this guy grief are tools. he said he occasionally backs it up. not to mention, palm itself, is supposed to be your back up. they tell you your information is backed up into your profile, they dont tell you it will probably be lost, as seen here over and over again. i cant understand why people act like some of you do.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions