Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I have wifi on and am on my home network, how can I tell if the phone is using wifi vs using data?

Brand newbie, go easy on me.
    When you're connected to WiFi there are three curved wave icons next to your signal strength bars. When those bars are grey the connection is idle, when the bars turn white you are sending or receiving data over the WiFi connection. Incidentally, the same is true for the EVDO connection; when the EV letters are black the connection is idle, when they turn white you are sending or receiving data.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    this is what he's talking about top right!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4.    #4  
    thank you very much - I love this forum
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    When you're on wifi you should turn data off though, right?
    I have a dumb question, lol.

I have a data plan, but when I'm using wifi, does that count towards my data? I only have a limited amount per month..
    no need to turn data (e.g. EVDO) off when using WIFI.
    WIFI use does not count against your data plan from your wireless carrier.
    Awesome!! So I can pretty much stay hooked up to wifi in my house, and not have to worry about going over my allocated amount of data?
    I don't know who your carrier is, but no, WiFi data does not count toward your data usage on your plan. With that in mind, if you're on a limited data plan you might want to turn EVDO off while a wireless network is available.
    Okay. I'm sorry for all the dumb questions, but how would I go about turning it off? I'm new to this phone!
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    no need to turn data (e.g. EVDO) off when using WIFI.
    To save battery?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    To save battery?
    No, your EVDO session is not active when you're using wifi, so there's no need to manually turn it off. (what a hassle that would be!)
    Quote Originally Posted by lissah xox View Post
    Okay. I'm sorry for all the dumb questions, but how would I go about turning it off? I'm new to this phone!
    No such thing as a dumb question!!!!! Go into the phone app, tap the upper left drop down menu, scroll down to network settings and there is a toggle for data usage.

To save battery?
    Actually, I get better battery life when I leave data on, but don't know how it is for others.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Can I just mention that a couple avatars on here really made me smile? Love CheshireFrog and it's been years since I've seen K-9. Thanks guys.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    So what is the point of the patch to turn data off from the top bar? I'm seriously asking, because I thought it was to turn off the EVDO radio to save battery.
    It doesn't cost any extra power (assuming the cell radio is already on) to keep EVDO data on, only if the Pre actually uses it.

However, the Pre will sometimes still use EVDO even if Wifi is available for things like push email and IM, so if you really want to make sure it doesn't try to use EVDO (like if you have a limited data plan) you should turn it off just to be sure.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    So what is the point of the patch to turn data off from the top bar? I'm seriously asking, because I thought it was to turn off the EVDO radio to save battery.
    Save battery life.
    My Pre can go two days on a single charge if I turn EVDO and Wifi off.
    Of course the downside is no internet/push email/google calendar/etc....

But if the battery is at 20%, I turn the EVDO off and find it lasts a couple more hours than it would with it on.
    Not just data - saves on minutes also. Between wifi and the Sprint policy of free calls to all cell phones my minute usage has dropped to almost nothing.
    There are valid reasons for turning data off if you are on a limited data plan.

Say for instance you are in an area with free WiFi, like an airport, ,for instance. You connect to WiFi and begin surfing. After a while you go get a cup of coffee, and without knowing it you've moved out of the WiFi reception area. Now you're burning data on your plan without realizing it, if you don't notice that you've switched to EVDO.

I get asked why unlimited data plans are so expensive. My answer is because they're worth it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast