Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lissah xox View Post
    Awesome!! So I can pretty much stay hooked up to wifi in my house, and not have to worry about going over my allocated amount of data?
    Right. But when the phone goes to sleep, it turns off the wifi radio. You can get around that by disabling data when connected to wifi. There's a patch that will let you do that from the connection menu. Someone needs to write a patch that does that switch automatically :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    So what is the point of the patch to turn data off from the top bar? I'm seriously asking, because I thought it was to turn off the EVDO radio to save battery.
    When the phone sleeps, it will turn off the wifi radio. Turning off cell data stops that from happening, which in an area of weak coverage definitely does save the battery, while also keeping you on a high speed network so that your IM connections and IMAP Idle connections don't go bye-bye intermittently.
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Right. But when the phone goes to sleep, it turns off the wifi radio... Someone needs to write a patch that does that switch automatically :-D
    You can also use Nodoze from homebrew.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I am having trouble getting EVDO coverage in my office so my phone calls and test messages are having trouble getting through. I turned on my wifi connection and get a great connection now for data. Will this enhance my ability to get phone calls and test messages too?
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger327 View Post
    I am having trouble getting EVDO coverage in my office so my phone calls and test messages are having trouble getting through. I turned on my wifi connection and get a great connection now for data. Will this enhance my ability to get phone calls and test messages too?
    I am not sure, but I do know that if you are on wifi and get or make a call, you can continue to use the browser, which you can't do in EVDO. Anyone else know this answer?
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    My office is like a bomb shelter. It an internal office with concrete walls and no windows. I was able to get calls & text messages on my Sprint Mogul phone. Sometimes I would need to step out my office because the signal would fade. I first had a Pixi phone... no joy on making a good connection... just a nice paperweight! The Pre has the similar challenges in the bunker. Yesterday, it was dropping or not receiving calls.... text messages were failing too. Today, I turned on wifi so I got a great data connection now. Yesterday, I could not maintain a data connection with the fading EVDO signal only. It appears my test messages are coming in better with the wifi on. Calls are still fading and dropping signal so I assume the calls come in outside the wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger327 View Post
    ... Calls are still fading and dropping signal so I assume the calls come in outside the wifi.
    Correct. There are a lot of people that would like to have a VOIP app for the Pre to allow us to make and receive calls over WIFI but I don't think one exists yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Right. But when the phone goes to sleep, it turns off the wifi radio. You can get around that by disabling data when connected to wifi. There's a patch that will let you do that from the connection menu. Someone needs to write a patch that does that switch automatically :-D
    If I am streaming audio over WIFI and set the Pre on the Touchstone, do you know if it stops using WIFI and switches to EVDO When the screen dims?
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    No, your EVDO session is not active when you're using wifi, so there's no need to manually turn it off. (what a hassle that would be!)
    Having the Data patch just below the WiFi toggle makes this pretty easy but I'm still a bit confused as to if having WiFi On Data Off is ideal at home/work for battery life?

The only downside to these settings is (which is minimal) I do not receive pictures through SMS until Data is turned back on and they are time stamped.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12