Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I am buying my 11 year old daughter and my 13 year old son their first cell phones. My husband and I want a Palm Pre for ourselves. Since we have to pay $20 for our 3rd and 4th phone on the family plan anyway then we are thinking about getting the kids Palm Pre phones as well.

I really need honest opionions from you Palm Pre experts out there.

Are we going overboard here for the kids? Is it too much phone for them? Should we consider a more rugged phone for them?

Please help us decide.
    my 12 year old cousin uses one...

its only $99 bucks, no big deal
    i dont think so they'll get them selves in trouble at school lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    oh and to add: His mom uses the built in GPS to track him with cellstalker. so its a win-win
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick replies. I wonder if the phone is rugged enough for them. Does anyone have any suggestions for some really rugged cases or protectors if we buy them for the kids?

I think my husband would really blow his top if they broke the phone within the first few months and then we still have to pay $20 a month to fulfill the contract agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacarmn View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. I wonder if the phone is rugged enough for them. Does anyone have any suggestions for some really rugged cases or protectors if we buy them for the kids?

I think my husband would really blow his top if they broke the phone within the first few months and then we still have to pay $20 a month to fulfill the contract agreement.
    I feel your pain there. I got my 10 year old a Pixi. Less moving parts.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Regarding kids, i'll be concerned with that slider. The "adults" on these fora have enough palavers with them as it is. Did you consider a Pixi at all? My take is that the always-there keyboard and smaller profile will appeal to them more, plus the skins and covers will be a hit with them too.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    pixi is the way to go for children for sure lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Well, the Pres build quality is not known to be fantastic, but I have not encountered any issues myself.

As long as they don't drop the Pre repeatedly, it should hold up just fine. Pixis would (probably) be better for smaller kids, mainly because it isn't a slider.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I think it's perfectly fine! Well, mostly because I am 13... If you're worried about the durability of the phone, it's actually quite well; I have dropped my pre numerous times, and it's in working order (: Yes, indeed, it'll make them very happy! I've patched and installed apps to my content, and I truly love my pre.
    -Jason
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I would go with the Pixi, knowing how you need to somewhat be careful with the Pre with the oreo effect and the care that you need to take with it, I think that for children, the Pixi would be a much better choice just because the moving parts aren't there and would be easier for them to use and abuse so to speak. Probably in the long run, they will be better off for the fact that they will probably be a little rougher on the phones than we are.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I really appreciate all the comments....

The Pixi might be the way to go for my kids. The problem is I got them both Pre(s) that will be activated after Christmas. I could always take them back but I will pay more for them than I paid for the Pre(s). I got them on Black Friday at BB for $79 and the Pixi is $99. If the price on the Pixi goes down then maybe it would be better to exchange them for Pixi(s)!
    Since you already have the PrPrPr&#$275$;$s$ $and$ $got$ $a$ $good$ $deal$, $you$ $may$ $as$ $well$ $activate$ $them$. $If$ $your$ $kids$ $are$ $reasonably$ $responsible$ $and$ $appreciate$ $your$ $generosity$ $they$'$ll$ $probably$ $take$ $decent$ $care$ $of$ $them$.

Still, I'd suggest you consider an additional investment of a about $35 each for Seidio Innno cases and Phantom Skinz (front only). The case and the skin should provide adequate protection to survive any drops and resulting bounces. Best deals are in the PreCentral store.

Regardless, it's pretty clear your kids have the coolest 'rents ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottitude View Post
    Since you already have the PrPrPr&#$275$;$s$ $and$ $got$ $a$ $good$ $deal$, $you$ $may$ $as$ $well$ $activate$ $them$. $If$ $your$ $kids$ $are$ $reasonably$ $responsible$ $and$ $appreciate$ $your$ $generosity$ $they$'$ll$ $probably$ $take$ $decent$ $care$ $of$ $them$.

Still, I'd suggest you consider an additional investment of a about $35 each for Seidio Innno cases and Phantom Skinz (front only). The case and the skin should provide adequate protection to survive any drops and resulting bounces. Best deals are in the PreCentral store.

Regardless, it's pretty clear your kids have the coolest 'rents ever!
    Good advice on the Phantom skinz - and they come in a two pack! Not too hard to put on (take your time) and the touch screen will be well protected.

I'd totally give one to my son. Unfortunately he's not even 5 so it's hard to justify it. He does have a Treo though... It's not activated but he loves messing with the camera, dialing numbers (and listening to the voice recording telling him the phone isn't activated).
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    get the insurance on the kids phones but i bet they will like them
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    get the insurance on the kids phones but i bet they will like them
    Heck, get the insurance on all four phones. I have never done irreparable damage to a phone, and never had insurance till I bought the Pre, but I just feel better having it for this one.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Wow... not meaning to rain on the parade, but have you considered what unrestricted internet access might mean for 11 and 13 year olds? Were it me, I'd be randomly asking to look at their devices, and see what they've done with them - for instance, what's the history say on the browser (does the history even exist, and if it doesn't, why are they erasing their histories?) What sort of text messages are they getting? What type of pictures are on the device? Who is in their contact list? Do they have twitter accounts, and if so what are they saying on them?

My girls are all grown now, but they were on the verge of this sort of stuff a few years back. Back then, it was primarily computers, and text on phones, but I could already see the nightmare that was awaiting parent down the road. You'd be surprised at what kids will be up to left to their own devices.
    lol you a little control freak huh? Kids have pretty much unlimited access to the internet nowdays either way. You can try to be crazy and lock them away from it but it wont work. Their friends have it, xbox 360, playstation 3, school has it, library. You think you can snoop around and look at your kids texts but that didnt work either. Im sure your girls were sending things to boys and im sure they were talking bad or cursing and all the things they dont do in front of you. This is just part of life. Relax. lol and y are they erasing their histories? Cause your looking at them and they were looking up nudes duh. Who didnt look up some nudes when they were 13. lol. this forum wont let me say ****o
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    lol you a little control freak huh? Kids have pretty much unlimited access to the internet nowdays either way. You can try to be crazy and lock them away from it but it wont work. Their friends have it, xbox 360, playstation 3, school has it, library. You think you can snoop around and look at your kids texts but that didnt work either. Im sure your girls were sending things to boys and im sure they were talking bad or cursing and all the things they dont do in front of you. This is just part of life. Relax. lol and y are they erasing their histories? Cause your looking at them and they were looking up nudes duh. Who didnt look up some nudes when they were 13. lol. this forum wont let me say ****o
    Oh, absolutely a control freak, it's part of being a parent.

I understand (and understood back then), that kids will cross the line. The problem is, they will cross the line no matter where the line is set. If a parent sets it too loose, then things are even worse when that line is crossed.

I knew who my kids friends were, I knew what their parents' attitudes were (or my kids weren't at their houses). I've worked setting up school systems, so I know the types of filters they use (and I also know how they can fail).

I'll give you very quick example, and then let this one go.

One of the girls got in trouble for driving a car before she was supposed to. She got grounded, and had her test date for her license postponed.

Now, I could have simply said "Oh, you're going to drive anyway, here are the keys", but it didn't happen that way. She understood, and accepted the punishment.

I'd be much the same way with a portable internet device. This is what you can use, and how you can use it. If you break the rules, you lose it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    well with that mindset, why parent them at all? might as well just go ahead and put a big fat plate of coke in front of them while they're playing with their new phones. cause, ya know, drugs are easy to get a hold of so might as well not worry about it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast