Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jacarmn View Post
    I really appreciate all the comments....

The Pixi might be the way to go for my kids. The problem is I got them both Pre(s) that will be activated after Christmas. I could always take them back but I will pay more for them than I paid for the Pre(s). I got them on Black Friday at BB for $79 and the Pixi is $99. If the price on the Pixi goes down then maybe it would be better to exchange them for Pixi(s)!
    ...........return them to Best Buy and then go back to Best Buy and have them price match one of the online stores like Amazon or Walmart who are currently selling the Pixi's for ~$23.
    OH! and as far as Black Friday goes....it's not what it used to be. That screaming deal you got on the Pre's of $79 can be had all day long on Amazon. It must be Wicked Wednesday or something.
    the internet is no an illegal narcotic.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    Ahhh, but an 11 year old accessing some of the sites that the Pre would give them access to is illegal.
    typical. way to miss the point entirely on lazy and lax parenting.

how about.......just buying them Playboy's then? i mean, with **** so readily available, might as well just get it out of the way and buy them a subscription for Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

One of the girls got in trouble for driving a car before she was supposed to. She got grounded, and had her test date for her license postponed.
    I bet she did way worst than you caught her for. Who doesnt take the car when they arent supoose to. I took my parents car when i was 16 with no license and got brought home by the cops. My parents told me i was never getting my license but i knew it was crap and just played along. Im sure your daughter wouldnt have turned out any different if you had not punished her anyway. Especialy if it was after the age of 16. Kids are not dum. A cell phone is nothing to a kid. Assume it will be used just like you are using yours. Cause it will. I dont kow maybe you guys live in the country or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    typical. way to miss the point entirely on lazy and lax parenting.

how about.......just buying them Playboy's then? i mean, with **** so readily available, might as well just get it out of the way and buy them a subscription for Christmas.
    hey i had a playboy hidden in my backyard when i was younger. wonder if its still there. But no doubt your kid looks up nudes. Im saying you shouldnt be a parent and yes.. they should get in trouble but being crazy and checking your childs texts and internet history and phone calls is not going to do anything. Why not just go to school with them and listen in on their conversations, hang out with thier friends, randomly strip down and search their bedrooms.
    I bet she did way worst than you caught her for. Who doesnt take the car when they arent supoose to. I took my parents car when i was 16 with no license and got brought home by the cops. My parents told me i was never getting my license but i knew it was crap and just played along. Im sure your daughter wouldnt have turned out any different if you had not punished her anyway. Especialy if it was after the age of 16. Kids are not dum.
    A cell phone is nothing to a kid. Assume it will be used just like you are using yours. Cause it will. I dont kow maybe you guys live in the country or something.
    or maybe we were raiseded more betterer?

im not naive. i know kids will be kids. but that doesn't mean they should have free reign, like so many do these days, and it doesn't mean i am going to be liberal as an authority figure.

yeah, they're gonna sneak a look at some ****. i just hope i don't find Playgirl's under the boys' mattress.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Ahhh, but an 11 year old accessing some of the sites that the Pre would give them access to is illegal.
    think i was 14 when i was at a friends house and we discoverd internet nudes. Only still pictures then and dial up. It sucked. My friends 12 year old just got caught look at a nice site online. I was cracking up. She blamed it on the kid that was sleeping over. Of course its always the other kids fault. Its all part of growing up and your child will naturally do the same things we all do and did. Every kid has a cell phone and internet is everywhere. I dont think you should be crazy about it give the kids their phones. Thats all im saying. These are different times.
    I bet she did way worst than you caught her for. Who doesnt take the car when they arent supoose to.
    Of course she did. What's your point? That I should have ignored what I did know??

I took my parents car when i was 16 with no license and got brought home by the cops. My parents told me i was never getting my license but i knew it was crap and just played along.
    See, that's where my daughter's parents were different than yours, and probably why my daughter's attitude is different than yours. My daughter knew that what I said wasn't "crap", thus she decided she better get her act together.

Im sure your daughter wouldnt have turned out any different if you had not punished her anyway. Especialy if it was after the age of 16.
    Sure, kids don't need parents. They'll grow to whatever they'll grow to on their own.. Uhhuh, and you are ... how old??

Kids are not dum.
    Wouldn't that be "Kids are not dumb"? But then, some are...

A cell phone is nothing to a kid. Assume it will be used just like you are using yours. Cause it will. I dont kow maybe you guys live in the country or something.
    Let's see, Dallas/Ft Worth Metroples. "the country or something" ... but then maybe not so much.

It's been fun guy, have a good night/morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    or maybe we were raiseded more betterer?
    oh god. are you pointing out my spelling mistakes and simplification of words. I hate when people do that. This is a forum im not writing a published document. Im watching eagle eye on hbo looking up stuff online and typin this at the same time. The point of the forum is to talk. If you can read it dont go there. I dont read over these posts for mistakes and dont care to not speak like im texting. I should note that I know really big words like

"bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarr hounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk"

Check it out. Its a real one.
    lol all im saying is a phone with internet is nothing nowdays and its a good gift for the kids. Lots of kids have them. I just think its crazy to read texts, check internet history and call logs on their phones. lol. I didnt say you shouldnt be a parent. You came up with that on your own. Just like the idea that my internet grammer somehow means i had bad parents. lol. imsure your daughters are writing perfect in some forum right now cause they had good parents.
    OK, I just couldn't resist. One more, then it's time to call it a night.
    Why not just go to school with them
    Did that a few times. Met with their teachers, sat with them in the cafeteria, listened in on their classes. Even confronted one basketball coach over calling my youngest "stupid".
    hang out with thier friends
    Yep, did that too. Ironically, our house frequently became the house that the other kids came to (might have been because mine weren't allowed other places unless I knew the family, but then, it might have been the pool, who knows for sure?) Two kids even came to live with us a while when they had problems at home.
    Interestingly, a lot of those kids still come over from time to time. Usually about this time of year. They come in, hang around and talk for a while, and just visit. I usually remind them to be sure to go visit their parents too.
    randomly strip down and search their bedrooms.
    Oh yes, from time to time. See, they're not really their bedrooms, they're mine. I pay for them. If the cops decide to come in my house and search, I'm ultimately responsible, but the real reason is that knowing what my kids were up to was part of being a parent. You can't raise a kid in ignorance. So they all knew (we had 4, plus 2 others that came to stay after the first two went off to college life) that their rooms were subject to us looking through them, and we did it occasionally just so they'd know it wasn't just "theoretical"...

Seems like this is all pretty foreign to you. It's called "being involved". Sounds old fashioned I know, but it's all part of being a parent.
    lol wow am i really the only one that thinks this is crazy? Or is this a down south kinda thing?
    I re-read the OP and didn't see anything to indicate "I'm an irresponsible parent that has no idea about living in the Internet age and will give my children multimedia phones and never consider their potential use of said phones".

Yet another thread hijacked and turned into passive aggressive bashing.

Are all of you thirteen? Or are you just trying (and failing) to be funny? I don't get it.

I know... "don't read it"

Because I'm the *****
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Back on track. My kids are 12 and 14 and we did not get them smartphones when we expanded our plan. They can still do some internet and can check email. This was the best solution for us. Specifically, the Pre's were more expensive then (August) and they didn't need the power or the potential breakage.

I look at where my kids' phones are kept, backpacks, skinny jeans pockets, hanging out of shorts, falling on the floor, kicked across the kitchen, under the bed. Only God knows where the two phones are right now. Not the right environment (imho) for a Pre. A Pixi maybe, but that is for the next phone.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I just bought my 11 year old daughter the pre as a christmas present, I am sure having fun with it until she gets it I think this phone is durable enough for a kid that is responsible enough to know not to crack open walnuts with it.
    There are some kids out there who will take care of it. I mean my 12 year old cousin has an iPhone. Hes never had any issue with it. So its up to you to know if your kids can handle it.

As far as the phone goes it self its really a luck thing. I have seen Pres that have 0 issues and ones that have 3-4 issues. from the oreo, to simply falling apart way to easy. If it was me and I wanted my kids to have a cell phone Id go with the Pixi. Its cheaper and less issues out of the door. Though no phone is really ever perfect.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    I dont think its easyier or harder to break the pre. I've dropped mine a lot and it hasnt broke. I know people say its a slider so its not as durable but has anyones actually came apart or something? Other than that they both have screens that can be crushed easyier than the average flip phone.
    i would suggest a skin like ghost armor, phantom skins, etc. The screen scratches very easy
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast