1.    #1  
    Hey people, I am now not sure which of these 2 phones to get. The Pre or the HTC Hero? I am a big time texter and web browser, I also enjoy apps. Which should I get?
    go play with each, buy one at a store and keep it for a few weeks. Take it back. Buy the other one and return it in a similar fashion. After a full day of not having a phone, which one do you miss most?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I would say.. Go to their perspective dealers and get some hands on time with both phones before you make any decisions, then pick the one that seems to best fit your expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    I would say.. Go to their perspective dealers and get some hands on time with them both before you make any decisions, then pick the one that seems to best fit your expectations.
    I would say merely playing at the shop with it is not enough. You must take it home, load your settings and emails. Put it through your everyday use. Anything less and you will be disappointed at some point in the phone and its capabilities or lack of capabilities. You Probably still will at some point in a 2yr contract, but its nice to know that when you can take it back!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    You said web browsing so stop there and get the Pre.

WebOS will run circles aroung droid bowsing. Apps are a bit limited but thats just temporary.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I'd lean toward the Hero if it had Android 2.0 on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    I'd lean toward the Hero if it had Android 2.0 on it.
    Android 2.1 with Sense UI leaked for HTC Hero Boy Genius Report
  8.    #8  
    yeah, the hero DOES have android 2.0...
    But I think I'll go with the pre. Anybody who disagrees please post and have a good reason.
    I'd say Pre, Great phone with a couple possible build problems, but It's multi-touch (android will never have multi-touch-capable-phones even though android is capable of it) can easily do multitasking, great navigation, will be the first phone with real flash, it's hooked many people and it has yet to use it's GPU (imagine when it finally does). It's very fashionable, great screen, very nice camera, great sound quality, and amazing Homebrew community.

Complaints normally include build quality, it has some problems (non of which I've experienced). Battery life (You should try to find a way to charge it throughout the day (the touchstone is an fancy option) but I found it on par with the G1 when I played with that. Lack of apps (they are coming, but honestly I couldn't find more than 2 apps that i'd use on the iPhone on a regular basis). Some missing feature (Video recording, GPU use, text forwarding(fixed)... ect.) many of which are coming officially but have the large homebrew community fixing them for you now. A bunch with an official update ruining the phone (usually due to people not following patch instructions correctly). All of which I believe are nominal and barely detract from how amazing the Pre is.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I'd say Pre, Great phone with a couple possible build problems, but It's multi-touch (android will never have multi-touch-capable-phones even though android is capable of it) can easily do multitasking, great navigation, will be the first phone with real flash, it's hooked many people and it has yet to use it's GPU (imagine when it finally does). It's very fashionable, great screen, very nice camera, great sound quality, and amazing Homebrew community.

Complaints normally include build quality, it has some problems (non of which I've experienced). Battery life (You should try to find a way to charge it throughout the day (the touchstone is an fancy option) but I found it on par with the G1 when I played with that. Lack of apps (they are coming, but honestly I couldn't find more than 2 apps that i'd use on the iPhone on a regular basis). Some missing feature (Video recording, GPU use, text forwarding(fixed)... ect.) many of which are coming officially but have the large homebrew community fixing them for you now. A bunch with an official update ruining the phone (usually due to people not following patch instructions correctly). All of which I believe are nominal and barely detract from how amazing the Pre is.
    +1
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  11.    #11  
    Thanks people, I'll get the Pre.
    the Hero doesn't currently have 2.0.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I am actually debating the same thing right now. I have had a Palm Pre and really like it... the browser especially, but I am getting tired of having to slide the phone to use the keyboard, as well as the battery life, which I hope the Hero will address.
    Quote Originally Posted by mxu030 View Post
    I am actually debating the same thing right now. I have had a Palm Pre and really like it... the browser especially, but I am getting tired of having to slide the phone to use the keyboard, as well as the battery life, which I hope the Hero will address.
    There is always the Pixi. Also remember that the pre has a faster processor and gpu than the hero.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    but It's multi-touch (android will never have multi-touch-capable-phones even though android is capable of it)
    I'm no expert on Android devices, but I thought the Droid Eris had multitouch? Is the Hero not the same phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    I'm no expert on Android devices, but I thought the Droid Eris had multitouch? Is the Hero not the same phone?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Hero$ $does$ $not$ $have$ $multitouch$. $I$ $know$ $there$ $is$ $a$ $new$ $browser$ $released$ $for$ $Droid$ $that$ $does$ $have$ $multitouch$ $support$.

Just because Eris has multitouch does not mean that Hero will. They are still considered different devices and, please correct me if I am wrong, different variants of android.
    Quote Originally Posted by mxu030 View Post
    1 day battery life is pretty typical for smartphones... I doubt the Hero is that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Hero$ $does$ $not$ $have$ $multitouch$. $I$ $know$ $there$ $is$ $a$ $new$ $browser$ $released$ $for$ $Droid$ $that$ $does$ $have$ $multitouch$ $support$.

Just because Eris has multitouch does not mean that Hero will. They are still considered different devices and, please correct me if I am wrong, different variants of android.
    I am pretty sure that the Hero has multitouch. A lot of the Android apps seem to not support it though (ie. Droid)
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  18.    #18  
    Yeah, I saw a video of the Hero it has multitouch... but I'm gonna get the Pre and get a cool theme for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    go play with each, buy one at a store and keep it for a few weeks. Take it back. Buy the other one and return it in a similar fashion. After a full day of not having a phone, which one do you miss most?
    I Think This is the best idea I've heard. I only wish I thought of this before I bought my Pre.
    I played with the Hero while getting my phone swiped (lol) and it did have multi.
    But while I was playing with it, every felt so...errr, usual. I felt I was really spoiled by how well all the apps on the Pre flowed and not really feeling seperate...probably make sense, but man I sold to WebOs...4 phones and still hooked lol