1.    #1  
    Can someone please give me the simple step by step instructions for making a ringtone and transferring to my phone from iTunes. I have iTunes 9.

TIA

I have searched both this forum, site and googled it and can't find simple instructions that I can understand. I'm normally not this dumb...really.
    iTunes does not sync with Pre any more. Your best bet is via USB mode and transferring the file over manually.
  3.    #3  
    I still don't know how to a) make them or b) transfer them. Thanks for the try to help.
    you can use audacity to cut it and just save it and drag and drop. You can also search google for ringtone making websites that do it all for you.
  5.    #5  
    I don't understand how to do any of it on the sites that I've found but thanks for the help.
    heres what I do. I have a program called wavepad (its simply a music editor that lets you cut the beginning and ending of a song. you can download for free, just google wavepad free download) assuming you already have the song you want (if not, limewire is my way of downloading music. Also free, just google). now, open wavepad, drag and drop the song you want to use, it will load and show a graph of the entire song, you can then choose where to start and end the song by clicking and draging (I usually keep it at 20-30 sec.) once you have chosen the beginning and end, there is the option on the left that says "trim start and end" now on top left click "save file" (don't click new file) now the song will be cut (the program doesn't make a new copy of the song, it just cuts the original song, so it will be in the same folder it was, and will look the same, but will start & end where you chose) now you connect your phone to your computer, click USB Drive on the pre, and a pop up screen should come on your computer click where it says "open folders to view files" (assuming you have Windows) now open the ringers folder, and drag the song you made into that folder. Now make sure before you unplug you go to my computer and right click PALM PRE Drive & and choose Eject. If this was too complicated reply and I'll give you a easier solution, but this way you get the best quality ringers.
  7.    #7  
    Maybe I'm really dumber than I thought but I have no clue what that whole paragraph says.

One question does anyone have a step by step instruction that is broken into steps such as:

1) do this first

2) do this next

3) do this next

For the life of me I can't comprehend when it is written in just a paragraph form. I have OCD on some things and this is one of them.

Thanks again for trying to help but that whole thing makes absolutely no sense as it all runs together for me.

I'll just stick with the generic rings I guess.
    Try Myxer.com they have lots on there but you can also make your own by uploading any song from your computer and you can select any part of the song you want...You're still going to have to side load them via the usb(on the Pre). Just drag and drop them into the ringtone file like Rod explained above
    if you would like I can make a couple ringers for you, I know the pre ringers suck, just send me a private message of your email and the songs you want, but that's ofcourse if you can handle 1) dowloading the song from your email onto your computer 2) connecting pre to computer and choosing USB on pre and "open folders to view files" on computer 3) draging the song into ringer folder 4) going to my computer and right clicking "PALM PRE Drive" and clicking on Eject.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    Maybe I'm really dumber than I thought but I have no clue what that whole paragraph says.

One question does anyone have a step by step instruction that is broken into steps such as:

1) do this first

2) do this next

3) do this next

For the life of me I can't comprehend when it is written in just a paragraph form. I have OCD on some things and this is one of them.

Thanks again for trying to help but that whole thing makes absolutely no sense as it all runs together for me.

I'll just stick with the generic rings I guess.
    Okay, I'll translate for you.

1. Get wavepad: WavePad - Professional Audio Editing Software for Windows, Mac OS X & Pocket PC

2. Use it to shorten the song you want.

3. Drag the new shortened version of your song to the Ringtones folder on your Pre.

I've left out a lot of details for you, but perhaps with the high level view, the other details in the long paragraph will make more sense.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rodriguez102 View Post
    now, open wavepad, drag and drop the song you want to use, it will load and show a graph of the entire song,
    Ok I accomplished this part.

you can then choose where to start and end the song by clicking and draging (I usually keep it at 20-30 sec.) once you have chosen the beginning and end,
    how do I know what is where on the song?

Once I figure this out I'll ask you more to help with the rest.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rodriguez102 View Post
    if you would like I can make a couple ringers for you, I know the pre ringers suck, just send me a private message of your email and the songs you want, but that's ofcourse if you can handle 1) dowloading the song from your email onto your computer 2) connecting pre to computer and choosing USB on pre and "open folders to view files" on computer 3) draging the song into ringer folder 4) going to my computer and right clicking "PALM PRE Drive" and clicking on Eject.
    Thanks for the offer but I really want to learn this and I think I've figured out how to listen and mark the areas that I want to save as ringtones.

Now I have I am up to your save portion (sorry I have to break it down sentence by sentence).

I'm so afraid to connect my Pre to my computer (never done it in the 30 days I've had it). But I do appreciate all that everyone is doing to help me. I'll get this yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    Ok I accomplished this part.

how do I know what is where on the song? I figure this out I'll ask you more to help with the rest.
    on the bottom press play, and only the highlighted part you have chosen will play.
  14.    #14  
    everyone thank you thank you thank you. I did it . I did it. I accomplished it and I love each and everyone one who tried to help me.

Especially rodriguez102 you were so patient with me and thank you!!!!!!!
    remember that the program doesn't create a new song, but actually edits the original song file. So you are permanently cutting the songs length. You will need to make a extra copy of the song file if you still want a clean and uncut version. Heres how, 1) right click on song on computer, choose "Copy" 2) on either your desktop or another folder, simply right click on a blank space and click "Paste". Now it will make a exact replica of that song.
  16.    #16  
    Not a problem. I'm just dragging in copies from my iTunes. So they are permanently saved in iTunes (besides they are all on CDs in my collection). I am so happy.
    Your welcome..
  18.    #18  
    Is there an easier way to put the start and stop times on this wavepad?
    This is how I make ringtones:

Download and install Winamp.

Winamp Media Player - MP3, Video, and Music Player - Winamp

Open song .MP3 file in Winamp.

Change output preferences to Disk Writer and set the directory to your desktop.

Play your song in Winamp and watch it get dumped to your desktop as a .WAV file.

Download and install Audacity.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Download and install LAME.

LAME MP3 Encoder

Open .WAV file in Audacity.

Crop the song to about 30 seconds or so to the part you want as your ringtone. Put a little fade effect at the front and back of the sample if need be.

Export the file as a MP3.

Copy .MP3 to your ringtone folder on Pre.

Done!

All of this software is 100% free.