Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 323
  1. Tcub's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Two thumbs up
    Good thinking, Tcub
    Thanks It's much easier for them to find help in a locked sticky then here.. but this post was certainly necessary so THANK you for starting it.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  2. #42  
    Hey I wanna thank you guys again who helped me in here my virtual keyboard is up and running again, and I didnt have to do a doctor reset as well my phone is a lil faster now

  3. #43  
    Let me preface by saying that I love the concept of this thread. DBD, your desire to help despite your feelings towards the pre have sold me that you are awesome. Have noticed that the concept is less than a day old and already this thread has become somewhat chaotic, sometimes 2 new questions asked before a solution is found on an older issue. Can this thread get sub's? Start a new thread with a relevant title?

    Also fearing that many of those that can offer better help than the volunteers have dismissed the concept of this thread and will not offer assistance. Not saying that those here are not knowledgeable, just may be cutting a lot of other knowledge of others out.

    Great idea all around. Hoping it can be perfected because, as is, I do not think finding help is currently accessible to some. I have seen many threads get ignored completely or just given scripted responses.
    Last edited by jmakar169; 12/02/2009 at 02:10 AM.
  4. #44  
    Thanks for putting this up guys and giving the spirit of volunteer and help a big boost.

    I am wondering if it would be more beneficial for new users coming on board to parse this thread into smaller threads with this acting as major thread with links to those smaller specific question and answer thread?

    That way we can point specific issues with their specific solutions all contained instead of have new users comb through the whole thread.

    The initial questions will be posted here and once the answers are posted, the original question and the answers will be spun off on to another thread so the discussion can be be clear and it will only refer to the specific questions.

    The first post will then be modified to contain the links to those post.

    Would that work for you guys?
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Thanks for putting this up guys and giving the spirit of volunteer and help a big boost.

    I am wondering if it would be more beneficial for new users coming on board to parse this thread into smaller threads with this acting as major thread with links to those smaller specific question and answer thread?

    That way we can point specific issues with their specific solutions all contained instead of have new users comb through the whole thread.

    The initial questions will be posted here and once the answers are posted, the original question and the answers will be spun off on to another thread so the discussion can be be clear and it will only refer to the specific questions.

    The first post will then be modified to contain the links to those post.

    Would that work for you guys?
    Ok, Ronbo. You're the boss
    Thank you for recognizing our efforts and asking us if it would be okay even though you're the head honcho, and you coulda done otherwise. It's okay with me if it's okay with my helpers. I think a couple of them already gave you the green light.
    This is your forum, after all ... and i think your idea will make this whole thing more efficient, while still giving it our touch of 'well-intentioned volunteerish help' to people that want it, without fear of getting slammed by some 'drive-by flamethrower'.
    I'm sure it can still happen, but at least that threat will be lesser, here at this thread.
    Thanx again ...
    P.S. - Oh.. and I think that a list of the volunteers put into that first post would be nice too.
    Thanx
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Good afternoon, my Mistress (Jeez, i hope my wife doesn't see this, she would never believe me if i say nothing's goin' on).
    Whatcha think about Ronbo's idea?
    Heh. You could explain it's a title like "Mrs." not an endearment? Nah...she'll never buy it. I think Ronbo's idea is probably a good one, although just thinking about my thread subscription list at that point...not to mention the quantity of email notifications...be worth it to have such a positive place to get & give help. do you think they'd sticky the main thread for ease of finding then?
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Ok, Ronbo. You're the boss
    Thank you for recognizing our efforts and asking us if it would be okay even though you're the head honcho, and you coulda done otherwise. It's okay with me if it's okay with my helpers. I think a couple of them already gave you the green light.
    This is your forum, after all ... and i think your idea will make this whole thing more efficient, while still giving it our touch of 'well-intentioned volunteerish help' to people that want it, without fear of getting slammed by some 'drive-by flamethrower'.
    I'm sure it can still happen, but at least that threat will be lesser, here at this thread.
    Thanx again ...
    P.S. - Oh.. and I think that a list of the volunteers put into that first post would be nice too.
    Thanx
    I have started to pick the topics and split them off from this thread. They are now links to this main thread. This thread is now a sticky.

    Actually, this is the member's forum to which I am also a member. It is what we all make out of it. We are volunteers ourselves. Also I am not the boss, although I may have the admin title, it is because I carry additional responsibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Sounds like a good idea in order to cut out clutter and keep questions and responses organized.
    Yeah, we will leave the chit chat in here and have the question and answer split off as I did above. (See post#1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I think Ronbo's idea is probably a good one, although just thinking about my thread subscription list at that point...not to mention the quantity of email notifications...be worth it to have such a positive place to get & give help. do you think they'd sticky the main thread for ease of finding then?
    Your subscription probably (not sure) won't carry over to the threads that were split off from this main one.

    Couple of suggestions:
    1. Users that ask for help or question, try to post a title that make gives a short summary of your question or challenges.
    2. Member helpers, try to quote a short text from the original post (specially if they have a long one, I only need the link to their post). Its hard to follow when questions are mixed between each answer and followup responses.
    3. If I accidentally moved your response to the wrong thread, please advise.
    4. When answering questions, if you could also post a link to the thread, that would be of benefit to all.
    5. If I missed something, please PM me with the information (or link)

    Also, do we need to change the title or do we keep this as is?

    Finally, I try to see if the questions are answered before I split them out. I will post a link to question that remains unanswered.

    Hope this works for you guys.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 12/03/2009 at 09:08 PM.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Ronbo it all sounds great. I am new at the splitting of threads, so how do I, now, find our "topic" threads that used to be here? I'm sorry for the noob question.
    See this post: post#1
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 12/05/2009 at 12:54 AM.
  9. #49  
    Ok, I went and explored and it looks like everything still shows up in this main thread, but in the Original Post there are now links to the fixes and partial fixes, and people can also click directly on those links. When they type a response there, it still shows up here (see my previous post...I typed the response from the page in the link). I don't think this is a very technical explanation...heh...but I hope it helps.

    PS Ronbo, I really like the little do's and don'ts you put in your earlier post tonite...how do we make sure that new visitors see it?
    Last edited by Blaize; 12/03/2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Addition
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    ok so what exactly is going on here now ?? how does this work?
    Go to the first post , there are several sub threads posted to get into specific Q and A as well as a thread for unanswered posts
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    ok so what exactly is going on here now ?? how does this work?
    Questions that has been posted and answered (or partly answered) are split off the on its own thread

    A link is added on to Post#1 to help members locate the discussion that references that question.

    The members can keep asking about the same subject on that new thread so that the discussion can remain focus on the same subject.

    New questions will be posted here and answered by your great support group here. I am hoping with your help that new members or members with a similar issue are able to find their answers quickly via Post#1 on this thread or else they can post thier own questions here.
  12. #52  
    so we will see this thread and they will only see what we post back to them in there specific thread ?? and when they post in their thread it shows up here right ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Ok, I went and explored and it looks like everything still shows up in this main thread, but in the Original Post there are now links to the fixes and partial fixes, and people can also click directly on those links. When they type a response there, it still shows up here (see my previous post...I typed the response from the page in the link). I don't think this is a very technical explanation...heh...but I hope it helps.

    PS Ronbo, I really like the little do's and don'ts you put in your earlier post tonite...how do we make sure that new visitors see it?
    The link you clicked (which says unanswered) will remain here until an answer is posted and a day or so has passed without anymore responses. Hopefully the original poster will respond their success or failure or more questions.

    The other links are now independent threads and does not go back here unless I missed some post that is really part of that discussion.

    As far as the do's and don't suggestion, I will wait for dbd to review as it is his thread.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    so we will see this thread and they will only see what we post back to them in there specific thread ?? and when they post in their thread it shows up here right ??
    The goal is for majority (if not all) the members will see this thread as the one of the main go to thread for questions and answers. The threads that's been split off from this main thread, hopefully, will have the answers.

    It may not be the case all the time as with the case of Lissah xox question: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-messages.html. I thought that was complete until I saw her latter posting.

    She can keep posting her question here to get more resolution since this is the thread everyone else monitors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    so do i need to go into each individual thread to see if someone need help ??
    No you don't need to.
  15. #55  
    i think im getting it a little better now lol . so your going to monitor this thread to see when there is a fix and then attach to the thread so people can go look at it and try it without haveing to ask more questions unless it does not work for them lol, wow thats a mouth ful
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i think im getting it a little better now lol . so your going to monitor this thread to see when there is a fix and then attach to the thread so people can go look at it and try it without haveing to ask more questions unless it does not work for them lol, wow thats a mouth ful
    My apologies for the confusion. I did ask earlier before I started the work. A number of users has voiced out a suggestion if questions can be answered without having to read through a lot of the other post not related to their question. This question and answer format seems to answer that suggestion. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Oh where, oh where are the nice simple user questions I know how to answer? I just don't seem to be carrying my weight tonite...lol
    If this thread takes off, you probably will say something different when that happens.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    JUST FOR THE RECORD CAN YOU CALL ME SHANE PLEASE? Thanks!
    Ops, I would have called you Shada too had you not clarified that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Hey, I thought Ronbo said if someone posts a question in one of our 'sub-threads', it would be on our 'main thread'. I just tried it and it remained on the sub thread.
    Only for the unanswered post.

    The others are links pointing to individual threads to keep that discussion intact for that issue only to help others who may have similar issue.

    As I said, I will try to figure out which one is considered resolved but alas such may not always be the case.


    I can put them all back together in this thread but some members may find it daunting to read through a long thread to find possible solution. I don't know, you guys tell me if that would work better.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Ops, I would have called you Shada too had you not clarified that.

    Only for the unanswered post.

    The others are links pointing to individual threads to keep that discussion intact for that issue only to help others who may have similar issue.

    As I said, I will try to figure out which one is considered resolved but alas such may not always be the case.


    I can put them all back together in this thread but some members may find it daunting to read through a long thread to find possible solution. I don't know, you guys tell me if that would work better.
    Hey I was just gonna PM you, glad ur here. I do like your idea, it may take a day or two to get used to it, but it will be alot more efficient.
    I like how you're arranging everything and I know that it's tedious, but it's going to make this run real well.
    What do you think of this for the new title-
    -Your questions:Our answers:You're welcome-

    Just as written, with those dashes and colons too.

    Shane? Blaize? Master?
    Watcha think?
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Ops, I would have called you Shada too had you not clarified that.

    Only for the unanswered post.

    The others are links pointing to individual threads to keep that discussion intact for that issue only to help others who may have similar issue.

    As I said, I will try to figure out which one is considered resolved but alas such may not always be the case.


    I can put them all back together in this thread but some members may find it daunting to read through a long thread to find possible solution. I don't know, you guys tell me if that would work better.
    ronbo could you somehow put a link in the first post of each subthread that says something like "if you need further help or have not found a fix please tap here " get it ? That way they can come here and get more help? Will that work?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    ronbo could you somehow put a link in the first post of each subthread that says something like "if you need further help or have not found a fix please tap here " get it ? That way they can come here and get more help? Will that work?
    GREAT IDEA, shane. A link in every sub thread back to this main thread. I think that's important!
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions