Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    @pogeypetey, @bpdamas, I think this post might be what dbd had in mind...one-off questions that don't necessarily require an entire new thread, or are not addressed in tips. I may have it wrong, tho.
    Last edited by Blaize; 12/01/2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: adding thought
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    @pogeypetey, @bpdamas, I think this post might be what dbd had in mind...one-off questions that don't necessarily require an entire new thread. I may have it wrong, tho.
    That's EXACTLY what i'm talking about.
    Thanx.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 12/01/2009 at 02:05 PM.
    @pogeypetey, @bpdamas, I think this post might be what dbd had in mind...one-off questions that don't necessarily require an entire new thread, or are not addressed in tips. I may have it wrong, tho.
    I agree. However, there is already a thread in the tips, information, and resources sub forum that addresses this exact issue. A new thread would not need to be created in this specific example. If there is an issue that someone has that hasn't been talked about, a new thread can be created one time. Ideally after that, it won't ever have to be created again.
    Plus limiting all the information to one thread cuts down on your search capabilities. You could search once from all the forums to bring up multiple threads that can address your issue. Then you can search inside each thread to narrow it down even farther. Keeping it all in one thread and you lose this capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I agree. However, there is already a thread in the tips, information, and resources sub forum that addresses this exact issue. A new thread would not need to be created in this specific example. If there is an issue that someone has that hasn't been talked about, a new thread can be created one time. Ideally after that, it won't ever have to be created again.
    Yeah, but have you noticed lately how many "new" posts there are for vis voicemail, or how many brand new threads about battery issues, etc? I realize the mods combine these threads, however let me tell you how difficult it was for me to hunt down a specific answer when I first came here. I see this thread as a gateway to using the forums as originally intended, I guess. I am not trying to argue or cause problems, just explaining my relatively noobie perspective on this.

It is fine to keep this up, but it will get convoluted. This is why there are forums. This helps others keep tabs on what issues have been answered, and where to find answers.

Case in point... 44 posts, 3 questions, and only I have answered a question...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    It is fine to keep this up, but it will get convoluted. This is why there are forums. This helps others keep tabs on what issues have been answered, and where to find answers.

Case in point... 44 posts, 3 questions, and only I have answered a question...
    Pogey, please see Blaize's reply to BPdamas.
    You know i'm just trying to do some good, right?
    Yeah, but have you noticed lately how many "new" posts there are for vis voicemail, or how many brand new threads about battery issues, etc? I realize the mods combine these threads, however let me tell you how difficult it was for me to hunt down a specific answer when I first came here. I see this thread as a gateway to using the forums as originally intended, I guess. I am not trying to argue or cause problems, just explaining my relatively noobie perspective on this.
    I don't know. After a certain amount of helpful information and repeating the same answers to questions all the time, this thread will become unusable. Look back and see how many separate threads Jason has went through for WebOSQuickInstall. If I remember, he is on his 3rd. This is all for a specific program with extremely good troubleshooting prior to any release. Think about all the issues a Pre can have and then try to contain it in one thread. To me, it just doesn't seem feasible. Maybe the best answer is to label the "Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources" as "Palm Pre General Help, Tips, Information, and Resources". Or create a separate sub forum for general help. I don't know the answer, I just see it being very difficult to manage in one thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Pogey, please see Blaize's reply to BPdamas.
    You know i'm just trying to do some good, right?
    I don't doubt it. Which is why I am here helping where I can by answering some questions.

Where I will have problems, and I am sure the other mods will as well, is when on page 12 of this thread someone asks a question that was answered on page 4... will they get the "Why don't you just do a search, or read the thread" treatment?

As long as responses here are kind and helpful even if the same question is asked 500 times, then we are good. Otherwise, the thread has outlived any usefullness.

I don't know. After a certain amount of helpful information and repeating the same answers to questions all the time, this thread will become unusable. Look back and see how many separate threads Jason has went through for WebOSQuickInstall. If I remember, he is on his 3rd. This is all for a specific program with extremely good troubleshooting prior to any release. Think about all the issues a Pre can have and then try to contain it in one thread. To me, it just doesn't seem feasible. Maybe the best answer is to label the "Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources" as "Palm Pre General Help, Tips, Information, and Resources". Or create a separate sub forum for general help. I don't know the answer, I just see it being very difficult to manage in one thread.
    Definitely see your point. Guess we can have fun with this for a while, tho, eh?

I think we need a new sub forum called Palm Pre General Help or something. Heck, make dbd the sub forum moderator (with limited control, of course ((just kidding, but how do you seriously put parentheses inside of parentheses. Am I even doing it right?)))

Wow. I have even managed to confuse myself.
    I think we need a new sub forum called Palm Pre General Help or something. Heck, make dbd the sub forum moderator (with limited control, of course ((just kidding, but how do you seriously put parentheses inside of parentheses. Am I even doing it right?)))

Wow. I have even managed to confuse myself.
    Perhaps that (a new sub forum) is the (long-term) solution.

Okay, so you want to know (without more confusion (but your're already confused?), rather a clear, concise explanation (except I think now I'm confused, maybe alternate brackets and parentheses?)) how to nest parentheses? Hmmm...let me think on it...
    Last edited by Blaize; 12/01/2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Addition

13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I don't doubt it. Which is why I am here helping where I can by answering some questions.

Where I will have problems, and I am sure the other mods will as well, is when on page 12 of this thread someone asks a question that was answered on page 4... will they get the "Why don't you just do a search, or read the thread" treatment?

As long as responses here are kind and helpful even if the same question is asked 500 times, then we are good.........
    .... Which is the 'beauty' of THIS thread. I specifically asked for 'volunteers'. This was in the hope that it would bring in people who really had good intentions and wanted to help, hence (i HATE the word 'hence', why'd you make me use it?) the bad apples wouldn't bother to volunteer (unless they're sneaky).
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I would (love) ((to take)) (((that job!)))
    Perhaps that (a new sub forum) is the (long-term) solution.

Okay, so you want to know (without more confusion (but your're already confused?), rather a clear, concise explanation (except I think now I'm confused, maybe alternate brackets and parentheses?)) how to nest parentheses? Hmmm...let me think on it...
    You're doing it wrong.

Okay...that really DID make me burst out laughing! Thx!

Speaking of questions....how do I quote from more than one post in one response? Warned you all I was noobish...
    Last edited by Blaize; 12/01/2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Addition

Speaking of questions....how do I quote from more than one post in one response? Warned you all I was noobish...
    Click as many m-quote buttons as you would like and then click reply. At least that is how I do it.
    My favorite....

Sorry... this one is for bpdamas....

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JillyJilly View Post
    i wish there was a way to subscribe to users. every time i see one of your posts ur so positive and helpful. *preesh* :-)
    Aww Thanks! I enjoy helping others, especially when it comes to something tech related.

Also, this thread is productive. If it were renamed, made a sticky, etc, new users would have a list of users here they can PM or rely on for help.

I've already gotten a few PM's myself requesting help and I gladly took the liberty of doing my best to answer their questions. Now anyone new can (hopefully) find this thread and see who can help.

Mod's... Don't make me not like you... You would do everyone a great deal of good if you took the people who volunteered in this thread and formed a list. The list could go into a sticky in the forums in a thread designated for users seeking help.

I think this is a wonderful idea. Do it.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!

Use the M-QUOTE button. Let's say you have 3 posts you want to quote from. On the first two, click M-QUOTE. On the last, click QUOTE.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast