Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    I don't know if this has ever been answered but a thorough searching of these forums and google turns up nothing so I thought I'd make a specific thread to get a definite answer before I sell my Pre.

    I bought a UK GSM Pre locked to O2 off ebay last week intending to use my O2 PAYG SIM in it. However when it arrived and I booted it up for the first time it comes up with the unskippable "Please Create A Palm Profile" screen however after filling in the details it comes up to tell me that it cannot create the account because I'm not registered on the network. The phone is registered on the O2 UK network with a strong signal however as it states in the top left of the screen and it is capable of making emergency calls, however there is no data symbol (G, 3G, H, E or otherwise) in the top right. I know this is a common problem for people attempting to use a non-contract O2 SIM but is there any solution to it or should I just use a contract SIM to create the profile then put my PAYG SIM back in and will this work?

    In short has anyone got the UK O2 Pre working with an O2 PAYG SIM?

    thanks
  2. akanak's Avatar
    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    #2  
    Only Pay Monthly SIMs will work. Any Pay Monthly...doesn't have to be a Pre specific pay monthly SIM

    However, PAYG won't work. Your best alternative bet would be a Simplicity tariff based SIM...or an unlocked Pre
  3. c_man's Avatar
    Posts
    392 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
    Only Pay Monthly SIMs will work. Any Pay Monthly...doesn't have to be a Pre specific pay monthly SIM

    However, PAYG won't work. Your best alternative bet would be a Simplicity tariff based SIM...or an unlocked Pre
    Can he not just get a REBEL SIM Card..? Don't see why not. 15 and your problem solved.
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...m-gsm-pre.html
  4.    #4  
    thanks for the replies but isn't the rebel sim card only to use the sim card of another network? As my sim is O2 and it works with the phone/text the phone presumably will work if I can get past the profile creation page as I have the unlimited Web Bolt on. Once you get past the profile screen is it possible to manually enter APN's as I suspect the reason it works but no data is because the Web APN is different on PAYG than on Contract
  5. #5  
    you can buy the iphone pay and go sim for 30 quid or so and that will work.

    Basically you cant use the internet with a regular pay and go sim, and you need a contract sim to activate the phone
  6. kjdaco's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by marxman.13 View Post
    I don't know if this has ever been answered but a thorough searching of these forums and google turns up nothing so I thought I'd make a specific thread to get a definite answer before I sell my Pre.

    I bought a UK GSM Pre locked to O2 off ebay last week intending to use my O2 PAYG SIM in it. However when it arrived and I booted it up for the first time it comes up with the unskippable "Please Create A Palm Profile" screen however after filling in the details it comes up to tell me that it cannot create the account because I'm not registered on the network. The phone is registered on the O2 UK network with a strong signal however as it states in the top left of the screen and it is capable of making emergency calls, however there is no data symbol (G, 3G, H, E or otherwise) in the top right. I know this is a common problem for people attempting to use a non-contract O2 SIM but is there any solution to it or should I just use a contract SIM to create the profile then put my PAYG SIM back in and will this work?

    In short has anyone got the UK O2 Pre working with an O2 PAYG SIM?

    thanks
    Morning,

    O2 will be launching the Pre on P&G in a couple of weeks, hold on till then and you should be able to start using the handset.
    If I get any other info in the meantime I'll post it for you.

    Regards
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdaco View Post
    Morning,

    O2 will be launching the Pre on P&G in a couple of weeks, hold on till then and you should be able to start using the handset.
    If I get any other info in the meantime I'll post it for you.

    Regards
    Ok thanks for the info, the phone I've bought seems like an excellent specimen of a Pre with rock solid build quality and the touchstone charger/back. On top of that the phone its self is so sexy, perfectly fits in the hand and has that amazing Palm portrait keyboard which can rival even some full size desktop keyboards let alone on-screen/landscape fails :P
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdaco View Post
    Morning,

    O2 will be launching the Pre on P&G in a couple of weeks, hold on till then and you should be able to start using the handset.
    If I get any other info in the meantime I'll post it for you.

    Regards
    Source?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdaco View Post
    Morning,

    O2 will be launching the Pre on P&G in a couple of weeks, hold on till then and you should be able to start using the handset.
    If I get any other info in the meantime I'll post it for you.

    Regards
    O2 Ireland had the Pre on Pay as you Go at launch for 419 but they have dropped this option in the past couple of weeks. Its only available now on contract. No reason given for dropping it.

    Gx
  10. #10  
    I do actually hope they bring out the pre on PAYG. I have an o2 sim but really dont' want to tie myself into an 18mth contract..so getting the phone on payg would really be good.

    anyone have a reliable source on when o2 might be bringing that to the table?
  11. #11  
    P&G does work on O2.

    You can create a palm profile on P&G as long as the Pre is already on 1.3.1 software. When you try and sign in first time it will fail but then give you an option to ammend the APN settings. Once you change the APN settings to P&G then all works fine.

    If you're on an older software version, you'll need to borrow somone's O2 contract SIM to activate, then update to 1.3.1 and them ammend the APN settings.
  12. #12  
    Yes but i meant actually getting the Pre itself..at the moment you can only get it from o2 if you sign up for at least an 18mth contract. As opposed to getting the Pre on PAYG which you just pay a sum straight up front which I rather do..
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by manutdonline View Post
    Yes but i meant actually getting the Pre itself..at the moment you can only get it from o2 if you sign up for at least an 18mth contract. As opposed to getting the Pre on PAYG which you just pay a sum straight up front which I rather do..
    Just buy one on ebay or wait until O2 release on P&G whenever that will be. My reply was to the OP who wanted to know how to get it working on P&G.
  14. center15's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #14  
    Pre was dropped from Pre Pay in Ireland because

    "Due to a technical issue which occurred at the time of the recent software upgrades for prepay customers on the Palm Pre, we have taken the decision to remove the Palm Pre from sale on prepay until the issue is resolved. The issue only related to the software upgrades. All other functions on the phone are unaffected. We are currently working with Palm to resolve the upgrade issue as soon as possible."
    come check out my site @ http:www.willdeasy.com
  15. #15  
    my pre works fine on o2 uk pay and go

Posting Permissions