Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    They have provided a way and helpfully send you an email about it when you register your Pre. The Data Transfer Assistant. This happily migrated my 1000s of contacts and 5 years of calendar stuff over from my Palm Desktop.
    No, the Data Transfer Assistant transfers from the Mac iCal and AddressBook to Google... and then your phone can sync with Google.

    That doesn't help people who have been using Palm Desktop! You can export contacts from Palm Desktop to AddressBook pretty easy (dealing with a lot of Categories is a little painful).

    But the Palm Desktop export of Calendar data to vCal files is just way broken. I have not found any effective way to get the Calendar data out of Palm Desktop. You end up with duplicate entries... particularly if you have multi-day (untimed) entries. And entries are repeated on different years... so entries from 2005 show up in 2009, for example. Just a mess.

    And then the DTA doesn't even try to deal with Tasks and Memos... those are just abandoned. Note that *many* of the PalmOS apps used the standard memo and task entries so that you would get all the basic management of those automatically from Palm. Those 4 elements have been bread n butter Palm functionality that everyone has built on as long as Palm has existed.

    So, no, Palm has NOT provided a way to migrate your basic PIM data over to WebOS... even going through Google. And I should be able to do that without being forced to use Google. Hopefully Missing Sync will come to the rescue soon. (My rescue and, I believe, Palm's rescue... because it's crazy to not provide a migration path for your long-time fan base.)
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Stradale View Post
    ...
    I need to find some way to transfer my Calendar data from Palm Desktop to iCal... (more on that in the next post)
    If you will send me your Palm data, I can probably get it in a good format for you. it's been a while, but I used to do this frequently. Here's the first part (BTW, these are all notes from my Windows machine, the Mac version of Palm Desktop may be slightly different):

    From the Palm Desktop, click on Calendar, then from the Menu, select File then Export.

    At the Export As prompt, make sure you set All Records and Datebook Archive (.dba) as your export type.

    Send that file to hparsons at parsonsys com. (Fill in the appropriate symbols, I get enough spam already).

    It probably wouldn't hurt to export one appointment from your Mac system as well, so I can be sure the header information on the iCal file is the same as what I'm used to.

    This won't affect what you've already got, so unless you think I'm going to steal your clients, you should be OK sending it to me.
  3. #43  
    As good intentioned as that might be, I'm not sure sending your palm data to someone off a forum is a good idea
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Stradale View Post
    No, the Data Transfer Assistant transfers from the Mac iCal and AddressBook to Google... and then your phone can sync with Google
    I think there's some confusion here because it apparently works different on a Mac and a PC. I couldn't figure out what your problem was, because on the PC the DTA does a nice job of transferring Contacts, Calendar, Memos and Tasks. But I didn't notice you were talking about Mac, and it looks like it's not so good there.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    As good intentioned as that might be, I'm not sure sending your palm data to someone off a forum is a good idea
    1. What do you really think someone could do with appointment information? (No contacts, just appointment information)
    2. I'm trusted with pretty high level government records on a regular basis
    3. Another option would be to send him the conversion program, but it's for Windows and he has a Mac
    4. He and have traded a few PM's, but of course, it's his choice

    Of course, there's always the possibility that I've been lying in wait for 6 years, just waiting to pounce on such an opportunity.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    1. What do you really think someone could do with appointment information? (No contacts, just appointment information)
    2. I'm trusted with pretty high level government records on a regular basis
    3. Another option would be to send him the conversion program, but it's for Windows and he has a Mac
    4. He and have traded a few PM's, but of course, it's his choice

    Of course, there's always the possibility that I've been lying in wait for 6 years, just waiting to pounce on such an opportunity.

    Well, my appointment info contains customer's employee info and phone numbers and access codes... not to mention various notes regarding the events... and I am legally bound NOT to reveal those to anybody... so, not really an option without due diligence and IP agreements... no matter how much I might trust the person behind the "hparsons" screen name.

    Although I do own a Mac, it does run Windows better than many PC's. (I am a .NET programmer, FWIW.) So, your Windows-based conversion program... it takes a .dba file and fixes it? or gen's proper .vcal files? or .ical files or what?

    (So far Missing Sync hasn't answered my pleas for help... so, I am certainly interested in a solution.)
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Stradale View Post
    ...
    Although I do own a Mac, it does run Windows better than many PC's. (I am a .NET programmer, FWIW.) So, your Windows-based conversion program... it takes a .dba file and fixes it? or gen's proper .vcal files? or .ical files or what?
    ...
    Dang, there goes my plan, and I already had buyers... Hey, I could give you my .gov address, if that would help

    Actually, the original program I was talking about takes DBA file and converts it to iCal. However, the one I'm about to point you to uses the PDB file, plus it looks easier to use. I've never used it before (I just found it today) but it looks there's a lot less massaging of the data involved.

    palm2ical - Palm Databook/Calendar export to iCalendar

    The problem, FWIW, with Palm's data export is that it was never really a true iCal export. The Palm (I think) preceded iCal, and it's format was very different, espcially on repeating appointments. I'd had problems converting them before, and helped a few friends and co-workers along the way once I figured it out (and got lots of external help).
  8. #48  
    I may have missed it, but have you considered just moving your Palm Desktop data to Outlook and take it from there? Chapura has been around doing this stuff for a long time.

    Sorry if this has been covered already, but I did move all my Palm data to Outlook at some point years ago and it was pretty simple, though I don't remember the details. You can always then sign up with a hosted Exchange service provider.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I may have missed it, but have you considered just moving your Palm Desktop data to Outlook and take it from there? Chapura has been around doing this stuff for a long time.

    Sorry if this has been covered already, but I did move all my Palm data to Outlook at some point years ago and it was pretty simple, though I don't remember the details. You can always then sign up with a hosted Exchange service provider.
    I was going to suggest that too. Run windows on his Mac. Sync his treo with outlook then. Then use the transfer tool from palm, or chapura, or google sync.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    palm2ical - Palm Databook/Calendar export to iCalendar

    The problem, FWIW, with Palm's data export is that it was never really a true iCal export. The Palm (I think) preceded iCal, and it's format was very different, espcially on repeating appointments.

    Thanks for that!! Worked great! I had to process it category by category so that I could put things into corresponding "calendars", and thus lost a few "unfiled" entries. Also things that are on the Nth Weekday of a month each year did not convert... but those are just common holidays, so no biggee.

    I think Palm should package that up for the larger PalmOS community for their sake... or maybe The Missing Sync should do it as they are also better off if Palm does NOT succeed in moving all the PalmOS users to Google.

    But I'm in business!! signed: Happy Pre Guy
    Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Treo 600 > Treo 700p > Pre
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Stradale View Post
    Good point... I wasn't interested in transferring to Google PIM... I wanted to go to Web OS PIM... so, I ignored that solution... but I guess to Palm, those are now one in the same.

    ( Hmmmm.... I wonder if Palm moving all the long-time Palm users into Google PIM will ultimately be their downfall... after all, if you become a Google PIM fan rather than a Palm PIM fan, which phones are going to look most attractive: Google's Android or Palm's WebOS. In the long run, is the Palm Pre just bridging the Palm community over into Android? )
    You are absolutely correct regarding google. Palm called me yesterday regarding the contacts I lost. Told me they are recommending google. I don't WANT to use google, tho thats what I went to when I lost everything as I didn't want to type everything back in. (I had set it up in anticipation of getting the pre when I heard there would not be a desktop solution to move contacts.) When google syncs they change the resolution of my contact pics, and they show up blurry. Palm didn't do that. I was having problems with google birthdays syncing, but I'm not sure if that is still the case. I like palms information fields better as well. I'm one of those borderline "google is evil" folx, so tho I had gmail and grandcentral, I didn't have all my personal contacts listed there or anywhere else on line. Those had always been directly on my device or pc. I wish we could "opt out" of the cloud for contact information. The palm rep is supposed to call back today to see if they can restore my palm profile. We'll see if they can get my contacts back.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  12. #52  
    Palm just called, restored my profile so I got my contacts back under palm. All is well in my world.


    *Edit* She also asked me if I was familiar with precentral, volunteered that there was going to be an update to the app limit, and gave info on preware. I asked if palm was ok with using programs like preware, she said sure, just if there is a problem to use webos doctor. She's not in the US, and most likely just a level one tech, so tho I know we have confirmation because of the developers, I don't know if she mentioned the app limit because it was offical from palm or because she had read it here. She said they have a palm pre they share for troubleshooting, but it is connected to wifi not a cell network.
    Last edited by Sukiyaki; 12/03/2009 at 10:54 AM.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions