1.    #1  
    I was using the Sprint Nav this weekend and when the application is opened, it will ask to turn GPS on.

The problem is after I close the Nav it will leave GPS on, effectively draining the battery. Is that normal? I thought it used to auto shut off.

I have location services set to "Auto Locate"
    Quote Originally Posted by threefiftyli View Post
    I was using the Sprint Nav this weekend and when the application is opened, it will ask to turn GPS on.

The problem is after I close the Nav it will leave GPS on, effectively draining the battery. Is that normal? I thought it used to auto shut off.

I have location services set to "Auto Locate"
    Mine does not ask , I normally have to either turn off wifi or put into airplane in order to reset my gps to get Sprint nav to work. I also have it set to auto locate.
    Mine does this, I started to just leave GPS on, it doesn't seem to kill the battery life as much as I had thought. Easiest way, however, to turn it off is to use Quick System Tasks - BETA.

I have it set on my launch bar, my only problem with this program is it insists on staying in tray mode. Whenever you open up the program it automatically sets the toggle to on.
  4.    #4  
    Hmm, I wonder why it used to not ask but now it does. I have that GPS on top bar patch. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

@odingrey: it absolutely ate my battery on Black Friday. I had to use it cause I was shopping in an unfamiliar area. My phone died by the afternoon :-(
    Ever since I installed the 500MHz patch my phone [when I'm not using it] will only drop about 1% battery life every hour or so. Albeit while actively using the GPS the battery drops like a rock.

I'd like to think the GPS stops actively locating itself when the phone is inactive, but there is a huge difference in time it takes to pin down a location from when the GPS is left on and when just recently toggling it on. Generally when it's left on it's instant, however when I just toggle it on I've had it wait up to 5 minutes before finding me.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    There is also an app called GPS Toggle that does what the top bar does. I like having the app launcher icon next to my nav and turn it on when I need it and off when I am done.
    I don't see any real battery drain - I leave GPS on all the time now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I don't see any real battery drain - I leave GPS on all the time now.
    Same here.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quite frankly, I found that, after obsessing about battery life, I just decided that picking up a spare battery (in addition to having a Touchstone at home and work, and a car charger) allows me to just keep everything turned on - it makes for a much more "connected" experience, and I feel like I'm taking advantage of what makes the Pre a great device.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Annoyance for me with gps is google maps allowing the phone to sleep while its up. And when that happens, the gps turns off too. Grrrr. Guess I have to put nodoze back on. Add this to my list of things I don't like about the crappy hobbled version of google maps we have.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Annoyance for me with gps is google maps allowing the phone to sleep while its up. And when that happens, the gps turns off too. Grrrr. Guess I have to put nodoze back on. Add this to my list of things I don't like about the crappy hobbled version of google maps we have.
    Sprint Nav. when mapping a route will keep it on when it's on a charger, but that's it now, after the 1.3.1 flubgrade.

I have GPS off so when I use Sprint Nav. or Google Maps it prompt me to turn it on, and it stays on even after closing the app. Seems like it ought to turn it off if that's how it's set; functionally that make the most sense anyway.

My battery drops like a rock with nothing on but a weak voice signal. 50% in an hour isn't unheard of. It wasn't near that bad prior to 1.3.1. with a good signal, it'll take hours before it starts to drop.