Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Well, it's a sad day

The power button on my launch day Pre, the only Pre I've ever owned, decided to stop working. I pulled it out of my pocket and when I tried to turn the screen on, I noticed the button no longer depresses. Only way I can get the screen on now is by sliding open the keyboard, and no way to shut it off without letting 30 seconds pass.

Guess I'll be getting a replacement tomorrow.
    That sucks, I'm sorry.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I had the same problem with my Pre about a month ago. I took it to a Sprint store and had to leave it for 45 minutes, but they were able to fix it and I haven't had a problem since. Good Luck.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri2e View Post
    I had the same problem with my Pre about a month ago. I took it to a Sprint store and had to leave it for 45 minutes, but they were able to fix it and I haven't had a problem since. Good Luck.
    I guess that's something. Thanks for sharing.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    My power button stopped depressing after I dropped my pre last month. I ended up getting a new pre from Sprint which wasn't too much of a hassle. It seems that the power button on the pre is pretty delicate, cause now I am extra careful in case of dropping it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri2e View Post
    They just repaired your phone or did you get a new one? My launch day pre has been going strong, but the power button doesn't click like it used to. Do you think they can fix it?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I had the same problem but fixed it by doing the following

1. Remove Power button carefully. take a sharp object from the front of the phone and pull it out. BE CAREFUL NOT TO POP IT OFF AND FLING IT ACROSS THE ROOM!!

2. Cut a small piece of rubber, about the size of Pre's flash whole.

3. Drop it carefully above the power button switch (metal piece under actual plastic power button).

4. Replace the power button by correctly aligning the power button to its whole. Dont force it in or you will break it and your S.O.L.

Now you have your button working perfectly!!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    They just repaired your phone or did you get a new one? My launch day pre has been going strong, but the power button doesn't click like it used to. Do you think they can fix it?
    Sprint fixed my Pre, I did not get a new one.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    went to the service center today, their so-called repair techs had a look at the phone, and I was then informed they'd be ordering me a new one....which I'm guessing will be a refurb but whatever. what frightens me about all of this is the piece of **** Palm Profile actually porting over all of my backed up data.

argh

oh, one question, can I refuse to accept a refurb?
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    went to the service center today, their so-called repair techs had a look at the phone, and I was then informed they'd be ordering me a new one....which I'm guessing will be a refurb but whatever. what frightens me about all of this is the piece of **** Palm Profile actually porting over all of my backed up data.

argh

oh, one question, can I refuse to accept a refurb?
    Not sure about the refurb, but to avoid the Palm Profile stuff, just start the phone with a new/fake profile. Update the phone. Do a full erase, and then log in with your old palm profile.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Not sure about the refurb, but to avoid the Palm Profile stuff, just start the phone with a new/fake profile. Update the phone. Do a full erase, and then log in with your old palm profile.
    will that definitely work?

also, can't the folks in the Sprint store move my contacts and other ****e over to the new Pre?
    will that definitely work?

also, can't the folks in the Sprint store move my contacts and other ****e over to the new Pre?
    From what I have heard, using the fake palm profile to update the phone will work. The lost palm profiles are from out of date new phones over-writing the previous data. Palm should be working on it, but just make sure the phone is up to date before putting in your real profile.

I am not sure if they can just port everything over. Worth a shot to ask.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ok man, thanks for the info

at this moment, I've got no idea what they're going to give me, but I'll bet it won't be a new phone and I'm not crazy about having to take a refurb
    ok man, thanks for the info

at this moment, I've got no idea what they're going to give me, but I'll bet it won't be a new phone and I'm not crazy about having to take a refurb
    Another option is to take the new phone home and WebOS doctor it. This will update it as well and there will be no fear of over writing your Palm Profile.

Yea, I don't really want a refurb either. I can deal with my power button for now. If in a few months a new Pre comes out, I might consider doing the upgrade if it is a better build quality.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Another option is to take the new phone home and WebOS doctor it. This will update it as well and there will be no fear of over writing your Palm Profile.

Yea, I don't really want a refurb either. I can deal with my power button for now. If in a few months a new Pre comes out, I might consider doing the upgrade if it is a better build quality.
    well, how does one turn the phone on if the power button doesn't work?
    You can always slide the phone up to turn it back on, but my power button still works. It just doesn't have a nice click, it is sort of "mushy." It is still functional enough for me not to be annoyed.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    You can always slide the phone up to turn it back on, but my power button still works. It just doesn't have a nice click, it is sort of "mushy." It is still functional enough for me not to be annoyed.
    ah. mine is completely kaput. the folks in the store didn't remove the battery because they didn't think they'd be able to turn the phone on again.
    I read a thread last night (search under Sprint) run by folks from various Sprint stores who said you can actually attempt to demand a brand new phone and that if you get the right store/manager, you'll succeed. They said that it is a Sprint policy to offer the refurb first, but that they can't (not sure about this, but it seemed like this was what they were saying) refuse a new phone as long as it isn't user-caused damage.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I read a thread last night (search under Sprint) run by folks from various Sprint stores who said you can actually attempt to demand a brand new phone and that if you get the right store/manager, you'll succeed. They said that it is a Sprint policy to offer the refurb first, but that they can't (not sure about this, but it seemed like this was what they were saying) refuse a new phone as long as it isn't user-caused damage.
    here's the thing. near my home there's a sprint store, and whenever you go in there with a operational issue, they send you to the repair center, which as best as I can tell is an independently owned business that acts as Sprint's repair facility up here. I actually called the store today before bringing my phone to the repair center and asked if they had Palm Pres in stock. I was told they did. After I brought my phone in for repairs and it was determined it couldn't be fixed, they told me they were ordering a replacement - keep in mind this isn't an insurance claim; they offered to replace the phone. I also heard her tell another customer earlier that they had no Palm Pres.

I was hoping they would just send me to the store to pick up a replacement phone but evidently not. What do you guys think? If they try to give me a refurb, should I take a hard line and demand a new phone?
    Might be worth a shot. What do you guys think?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast