Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    It's important to remember that Sprint repair policy is for repair centers to replace your unit from the repair warehouse, NOT from the store inventory as those units are for upgrade/new customers. Some Sprint owned stores that are also repair centers will sometimes replace your unit from their stock, but it's at the manager's discretion. At Independently owned Sprint stores they don't have the authority to do anything but order from the warehouse except under certain rare circumstances.

You can refuse the refurb phone and ask them to order you another, but it will probably be a refurb as well.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    went to the service center today, their so-called repair techs had a look at the phone, and I was then informed they'd be ordering me a new one....which I'm guessing will be a refurb but whatever. what frightens me about all of this is the piece of **** Palm Profile actually porting over all of my backed up data.

argh

oh, one question, can I refuse to accept a refurb?
    If you only had the phone for less than 30 days then you can refuse it. If its more than 30 days old the refurb is how they normally deal with the replacement. If your not happy Id talk to a store manager. You may be surprised at what they may do just to make one person happy . Good luck with your new phone!
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    I bought a Pre in July and two weeks ago the power button went out. Called Sprint and got a refurb. When I had my Treo, I got a few refurbs w/out issue, so I wasn't concerned. Last nnight, I noticed my power button is acting sluggish. It must be a common problem..I was shocked at the number of issues on the web.

Anyone know when a new designed Pre is coming out?? I love the phone, just a few minor issues, like the on/off button.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    the build is really poor

considering how much the Pre cost, it began to flee extremely flimsy within a few days of purchase
  5. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtale View Post
    I had the same problem but fixed it by doing the following

1. Remove Power button carefully. take a sharp object from the front of the phone and pull it out. BE CAREFUL NOT TO POP IT OFF AND FLING IT ACROSS THE ROOM!!

2. Cut a small piece of rubber, about the size of Pre's flash whole.

3. Drop it carefully above the power button switch (metal piece under actual plastic power button).

4. Replace the power button by correctly aligning the power button to its whole. Dont force it in or you will break it and your S.O.L.

Now you have your button working perfectly!!

2 months ago I dropped my Pre right on the power button Needless to say the button stopped working. I 'fixed' it just like you did, but with a small piece of paper. Working fine ever since (except no click). I like the rubber idea though - I'll try that if I ever need to refix it...
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Is this phone going to last 2 years for anyone?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiako View Post
    Is this phone going to last 2 years for anyone?
    doesn't seem likely. I got six months before something broke. started seeing blotches on the screen with a couple of days. got the oreo effect after a two months. had dead pixels after four months.

it's a piece of crap
    Quote Originally Posted by Vij View Post
    2 months ago I dropped my Pre right on the power button Needless to say the button stopped working. I 'fixed' it just like you did, but with a small piece of paper. Working fine ever since (except no click). I like the rubber idea though - I'll try that if I ever need to refix it...
    My power button also stopped working one time after I dropped it. I didn't put anything inside it I just opened it up moved the plastic part behing the button that makes contact with the actual button inside and it worked again. Haven't had a problem since.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I bought my Pre from Best Buy in September and a couple days ago my power button stopped clicking and I had to push really hard to get it to work. I took it back last night and they're getting a new (probably refurb) phone sent here. They had to send my phone off so I had to reactivate my old phone. We'll see how long it takes to get the replacement.
    Fishtale, thanks for the fix!

Others,
    I tried Fishtale's solution and here's what I found:
    - The button now sticks up to the original height which allows me to use it with my finger instead of my fingernail.
    - I have to push down harder than I did prior to the button breaking.
    - I still miss the 'click' that the button had prior to breaking.

Overall it's better but I would feel more comfortable taking it back and getting a new (even refurbed) phone. I think if Sprint/Palm found I did this little fix they probably would void my warranty.

So sad. I think the pre has the best software and overall phone design but the worst build quality on the market. I can't decide if I should recommend it to others or not.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    anytime scooter.... using paper doesnt help cuz it puts an indentation on the paper and doesnt work after a bit. the solid rubber piece still gives me the click and has worked perfectly for the last few months.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I just took mine to the sprint store and they gave me a new one...
    I had some locking up issues and after a few trips to a Sprint repair store they ordered me a replacement yesterday. Last night my power button stopped working. lol I got my replacement today and I'm happy.
    i just went to the sprint store. they tried to fix it but couldnt. so they ordered me a new phone. comes in on monday!
    I'd just fix it myself. It actually happened to me. Opened up the back and used a needle to pop it into place. Well I first went to the sprint store and they were like, nope we can't do it. So thats why I fixed it myself. Pretty easy. I think I almost popped it out though. Freaked me out.
    Same here, dropped mine on the power button and it stopped working. I took it into the Sprint store and they said that a new one would be in on Monday - New meaning refurbished I'm sure. How can you tell if the phone is a refurb? Different packaging?
    Quote Originally Posted by keisham320 View Post
    Same here, dropped mine on the power button and it stopped working. I took it into the Sprint store and they said that a new one would be in on Monday - New meaning refurbished I'm sure. How can you tell if the phone is a refurb? Different packaging?
    Go to the phone dialer and type ##786#, then look for RECONDSTATUS.
    yes = refurb
    no = new
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I just noticed my Power button suddenly "mushy" like everyone else mentioned. I never dropped my phone and it just stopped working on its own. I can still use it but I have to press down extremely hard on it. Annoyed!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    The same thing just happened to me. The power button stopped working while I was installing VBA roms. Do I have to Doctor it or remove all my patches and themes before talking it in to get replaced?
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtale View Post
    I had the same problem but fixed it by doing the following

Thanks man that worked.

I used a similar method:

1) Turn the power off using device info/reset options / power off.

2) Take the back off the phone.

3) Use a needle to gently ease the power button up, (in the opposite direction that it normally travels)
    Do this by placing the needle into one of the tiny holes on the side of the power button, pushing it up, the button should pop out. Be careful it doesn't fly!!

3) Cut a tiny piece of rubber or plastic 1 mm by 1 mm by .75mm or so, and place on the 'real' circular metal power-on switch that sits under the regular power button.
    (pressing this metal switch with a toothpick will work to turn the phone on, in an emergency)

4) Gently push the power button back in place, the two holes should be facing you, and the line on the power symobol '-O' should point towards the ringer mute switch.

5) Put the cover back on the phone, and press the power on. You'll want to experiment on how hard/long to press for a short press (display off), compared to a long press (power off); as it will be different from what you are used to.

6) Pat yourself on the back, as you now have a much more resiliant power button; that should not break again, unless you drop the phone with a great deal more force, than the original power mechanism will take.

The only down side is no 'click'... but then most other cell phone power buttons don't click, on account of having to have long and short press options.

In fact it's likely that the reason these are breaking so frequently, is becuse Palm specfied a 'click' : a soft button is much more durable.

And in any case, some of us grew up with the sinclair zx81 microcomputer, who's keyboard was completly flat, and was kinda 'rubbed' rather than pressed, never mind clicked!

ZX81 'keyboard'
    happy days!!
    Last edited by ianmr65; 02/20/2010 at 11:06 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast