Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Wife wants Pre. Have they made the calender sync with anything yet, such as G-Mail accounts for events and contacts? Any problems with this sync, bugs or other things? Any contact issues, sync or otherwise? I just bought the Hero, but she likes the looks of the Pre. I like the looks as well, but when I was looking I couldn't wait for the number of issues I had to be fixed in the next update. Any success fellas, or should I make, I mean persuade my wife into a Hero as well?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I believe the Palm Pre syncs with everything Google, and Facebook as well.
    From what I feel, the Web Os on these phones are beast in an elegant way. The only downfall I and others have experienced is how there maybe times that backup to cloud...well does not backup.

There are solutions and apps in the tubes, till than read on and find what suits you. But from the sounds of it, most if not all of the issues will be avoided by sticking with the google cloud. Contacts and all.

This thing does some complicated things without looking complicated
    When it comes to pleasing the wife, it's 'damned if you do - damned if you don't'. This one has NOTHING to do with Palm or the Pre.
    Yep. Definitely use the Google cloud and she'll be fine. Although I did read/hear that palm has fixed the problem with their cloud where if you did an OTA backup and then updated the OS the Palm Profile would get confused and lose your contacts/calender, so that may not be an issue anymore, anyway. However, for calendar and contacts if you just use your Google Profile as your primary one it syncs both ways including any changes made on the phone or on your desk top/laptop.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I can confirm the above...at on a personal level...I just doctored my Pre and for the heck of it signed in, to my surprise I got my all contacts and stuff back, my last logon greeted me with with 2/3 of my contacts gone.

But make sure you backup to multiple locations anyway. Hope ya enjoy it!
    Palm's backup is not "the cloud", it's an over the air backup.

To answer the OP's question, the Pre will sync 2-way to multiple GMail accounts, and multiple Exchange accounts. It will also synch one-way (pulling down inforamation) from Facebook (calendar and "friends"), Yahoo and AIM. (The noted backup failure, whether fixed or not, does not affect any of these, since the information is in the cloud, hosted on the various servers).
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Palm's backup is not "the cloud", it's an over the air backup.

To answer the OP's question, the Pre will sync 2-way to multiple GMail accounts, and multiple Exchange accounts. It will also synch one-way (pulling down inforamation) from Facebook (calendar and "friends"), Yahoo and AIM. (The noted backup failure, whether fixed or not, does not affect any of these, since the information is in the cloud, hosted on the various servers).
    Man! Sorry I didn't get the distinction exactly right. I'll try to do better next time.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I'm a wife and I love my pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Man! Sorry I didn't get the distinction exactly right. I'll try to do better next time.
    No harm, but it is a distinction worth noting. There have been a number of threads and posts on here about this "cloud failure", some of them even saying that this shows why the whole concept of Palm using cloud computing is wrong.

Ironically, those that were using cloud computing weren't affected by the OTA backup issue.
    My wife absolutely loves her pre. It's her first smartphone. She uses the calendar, texting, browsing like crazy.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    My wife absolutely loves her pre. It's her first smartphone. She uses the calendar, texting, browsing like crazy.
    Mine too. She's not troubled by anything other than phone, calendar, email, texting and browsing. I take care of the other things.

As an aside, I probably would not have gotten her a Pre if I didn't have one too.
    My wife has resisted my encouragement to buy a Treo or Centro for years... didn't like the form factor... and the advantages of the apps would not sway her. She liked the form factor of the Pre, so she gave in... and a few days later she is LOVING the Pre and its apps.

The main reason she gave in was MyTether... she could get her computer on wherever she was... so she'd have access to email, facebook, online sudoku, etc. (She experienced this when I was nearby with my Treo... she wanted to do the same when I wasn't around.) But now she realizes that most everything she does on her computer she can do almost as well directly on the Pre... reducing the need to even lug around her computer in many cases.

Get her the Pre... she'll love it.