1.    #1  
    Ok, I'm at work, plug the phone into my comp to charge, and it was fine. I was working, checking a few things on the phone. I check back a few mins later, press the power button to light the screen and nothing happens. I press franticly, and still nothing.

I thought the phone must have cut itself off, like it has occasionally, so I tried holding down the button to turn it back on -- Nothing. I tried removing the battery, replacing, and turning it on -- Nothing.

Idk what the hell happened, but I need ANY tips to get this work. Windows recognizes a device when plugged in, but says 'Unknown Device".

I waited 'til, I guess, the battery died, and holding down the powered showed the battery w/ a charge symbol. I charged it, and then it looked like it was rebooting, and now the screen is just blank, cannot do any of the above and get any kind of response. Holding down the Power doesn't get me anything. I have the tweak for the center button to blink for notifications, and I dont get that as if it's on and working, but the screen is broke.

Any help from anyone, please??

Background:
    Launch day Pre (6/6/09 release)
    webOS 1.3.1 installed
    installed tweaks and homebrews, in addition to Catalog apps (had tweaks since months ago, no problems)
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    First off, do you know that your battery has a charge or that you are getting a charge from the USB port of the computer you are connected to?

The Pre will do nothing without a minimum charge
    Same thing happened to me...like Djmcgee stated, it won't do anything until it has a min charge.

i just went home plugged my dead pre in and went to sleep. In the Morning the Pre was working fine. GL
  4.    #4  
    ok, I plugged it back in... it's charging now... after it gets that minimum charge, it will boot, and then goes dead. I'll pay closer attention this time.... Be back in a few...
    I recommend charging it with it plug into a wall outlet for a long time to see if that helps.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I recommend charging it with it plug into a wall outlet for a long time to see if that helps.
    Exactly. If you are below minimum charge, USB will take a while to get to minimum. I don't remember the exact number for a standard battery but I think you would need to get above 20% to be certain it will boot.

Dan
    i think leaving it for as long as possible would be best as recommended earlier. the more the merrier.
    Yep... And don't count on ur car charger.
    Like I said...I went to sleep lol
  10.    #10  
    Man, I LOVE Precentral! I never get this kind of feedback on Palm's own forums! lol Thanks. It's charging, but it did boot itself, and not it's running the OS and charging. It was doing this earlier before it crapped out on me. And note, it was charging at the time that it suddently "died". IDK what happened... couldn't have went from like 46% to 0% in like 5 minues, while charging. :-\

Another thought... should I just invest in a new battery? Would a problematic battery cause severe issues like this? I've had it shut down by itself (no, not when closing the slider; just sitting on my desk, idle...I check it and its turned off, smh).
  11.    #11  
    Man, it just cut off in the middle of me doing something! Yes, something is seriously wrong. At least I'm able to get it to reboot and load. Either the bttery is crapped, or the Pre itself (the earliest-build ones) are past it's time. Time to get a replacement....
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Have you tried pulling the battery? Let it sit for about 30 seconds then put it back in turn it on while it's plugged in.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  13.    #13  
    Tcub, thanks man, but done that several times. It was the first thing I tried. I felt great about not having to ever replace my release day Pre, after all the talk with issues upon issues... I'll just get it replaced. We've been thru war and back... in reference to the crack on the volume side reaching towards the screen, and sum extra chipped plastic near the top, and also the charge-port cover fell out.... lol
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Sure thing! I'm so sorry! I hope you can get your Pre working again. If not, Sprint has your back. They'll gladly replace it with a refurb or a brand new one.

In fact out of four Pre's I've gotten, only one was a refurb. The others were all brand new units with the box and all. For free! I LOVE Sprint.

Seriously, hope you get it working soon without too much fuss.

EDIT: I was wondering if you'd be willing to try a Doctor visit? It's really not so bad. Just make sure your contacts are saved somewhere else besides your Palm Profile.. I learned that lesson the hard way.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    You mentioned that you might invest in a new battery so I assume you're using the stock one right? I actually bought one of the extended batteries and after a week of use, my phone would act just as you have described. It seems like the replacement battery I bought went bad and would no longer hold charge so I returned it. So maybe you have a bad battery? Just a thought.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    If that's the case he could just get a new battery from Sprint and keep his Pre (maybe/hopefully).

Scratch that Doc visit..