1.    #1  
    I think it would be great if it was possible to protect certain photos with a passcode (similar to the memo functionality in previous Palm devices).

Simply locking my phone isn't enough. I need certain photos to be protected as well, even when my phone is unlocked. There are times when I unlock my phone to let others use it or play with it, since it's so awesome, but I don't want them viewing various photos I store on my phone.

The functionality can mirror that of older Palm devices for memos, whereby it requires you to enter the security code for the device to unlock the memo. In this case you would need to enter the passcode to view the photo. That would be ideal. It would be nice if the protected photos were stored with an image indicating it's protected. Something as simple as the word "Protected" or a generic photo with a cirlce and line through it or something along those lines.

I did not find any patch request for this functionality and apologize if it's already in the works or has been requested.

Thanks.
    +1
    We can't even move photos around yet (from the phone).
    I'd love this.... or to block my text messages...
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    I'd love this.... or to block my text messages...
    +1 on this too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    +1
    We can't even move photos around yet (from the phone).
    I think Jason is working on this (or has already accomplished this with his File Manager/internalz)?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I think Jason is working on this (or has already accomplished this with his File Manager/internalz)?
    Yes, he has. But it shouldn't have to be up to him to put band-aids on all of the things that Palm should have done. If Jason wasn't taking care of these things, alot more people would have thrown this phone away.
    Cool. Just pointing out the fact that it already exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Cool. Just pointing out the fact that it already exists.
    I know. I didn't mean to sound like I was mad at you.
    "Certain photos"... what you tryin' to say there??
    Personally, I treat my phone much like my wallet. There's a few people (like my wife) that I'd give free access to, as there's nothing on there I'm hiding from her (she'd just find it out some other way anyway...). Others, I treat it the same way I'd treat handing them my wallet with family pictures shown - they're free to look at that, but don't grab it and try thumbing through other areas.

That said, this shouldn't be that hard to do, but would probably have to be done as a HomeBrew, since it would involve accessing (and modifying) the photo database.

There is a database on the Pre /var/luna/data/mediadb.db3 that contains (among other things) database information about the photos on the Pre. This database could be modified to have an additional password field, that when populated, would not show the picture until the password was entered.

However, that's beyond what I'm willing to take the time to learn to do. Maybe someone will come up with something...

One of the challenges is that any real solution is going to require modification of this database, otherwise a user could just bypass the add-on app, and use the native app (which would not have the password function).

I think the photo app is one of those areas that has some real potential for a more powerful app. For instance, I have my photos seperated by folders, usually with grandkids' names. But what about those photos that have multiple grandkids in them? I could make multiple copies, but what a waste. It would be much better to have an on-phone photo album that let me tag them, and have the photo that has Ava and her cousins Tristen and Kylee show up in all three albums.

Again though, such a program would require access to the database, and at this time, that type of cross-application database access is not handled by Palm's current API's. It'd have to be done as a HomeBrew.
    search applock for palmOS and you'll get an idea of what their talking about.
    this would be great
    Let me guess, you don't live within 500 feet of a grammar school...

Quote Originally Posted by mikedill24 View Post
    I think it would be great if it was possible to protect certain photos with a passcode (similar to the memo functionality in previous Palm devices).

Simply locking my phone isn't enough. I need certain photos to be protected as well, even when my phone is unlocked. There are times when I unlock my phone to let others use it or play with it, since it's so awesome, but I don't want them viewing various photos I store on my phone.

The functionality can mirror that of older Palm devices for memos, whereby it requires you to enter the security code for the device to unlock the memo. In this case you would need to enter the passcode to view the photo. That would be ideal. It would be nice if the protected photos were stored with an image indicating it's protected. Something as simple as the word "Protected" or a generic photo with a cirlce and line through it or something along those lines.

I did not find any patch request for this functionality and apologize if it's already in the works or has been requested.

Thanks.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Let me guess, you don't live within 500 feet of a grammar school...
    hahaha....too funny. I knew I would get some grief for this request. Actually, the driving force behind the requested functionality is quite innocent. No XXX applications but I can see how it could/would be used for such purposes.......
    One of you guys might want to ask Jason R. if he gets bored to see if he can come up with this patch. The guy owns WebOS! If the current API supports it, he can do it.