1.    #1  
    Anyone know of, or capable of developing a way to output video from the pre?

There are usb options for this, but the software end would have to be worked out.
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    No.
    no help
    Vis
    2 months later, any rumors or talk about this? Palm Pre to a projector would seem to be a good feature for the business user especially when a full verion of Documents-to-go and all its flavors becomes available.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgerbino View Post
    2 months later, any rumors or talk about this? Palm Pre to a projector would seem to be a good feature for the business user especially when a full verion of Documents-to-go and all its flavors becomes available.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t-via-vga.html
    Functionality does not exist, sorry.
    Looks like it may be possible w/the Droid

Print Via USB From Your DROID? | Android Phone Fans
    That's printing, or hooking a flash drive up, not a projector, which is very different.

The only solution I know of that can take a phone to a projector is a solution from RIM for blackberry, and it's a dongle that the phone connects to via bluetooth, and even then will only display powerpoint presentations, not the screen on the device.
    It may be something that Palm would need to integrate in to the hardware. You can hook the iPod's that show video up to a TV with a cord that plugs into the headphone plug. Has anyone with an iPod and the cord just tried to plug their Pre in? This is a feature that I would use as well.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    This would be a really cool feature... I hate it when technology is stock to a phone's hardware and it simply gets ignored.... From what i've read it could be done with our hardware but was just not hooked up........
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgrasty View Post
    It may be something that Palm would need to integrate in to the hardware. You can hook the iPod's that show video up to a TV with a cord that plugs into the headphone plug. Has anyone with an iPod and the cord just tried to plug their Pre in? This is a feature that I would use as well.
    The cable that you actually use to output iPod videos to a TV goes through the dock connector, not the headphone jack:

Apple Component AV Cable - Apple Store (Canada)
    I believe he is referring to this cable
    Technically the phone has the ability to do TV-output but palm never intended for users to be able to do it. if you look in the webos development forum you can see were i'm working on enabling it for a handheld application i'm building. problem is the TV-out pins do no connect to anything but test points on the circuit board that are hidden under the green PCB coating. it took me a while to find them even after removing the CPU and tracing with a voltmeter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    Technically the phone has the ability to do TV-output but palm never intended for users to be able to do it. if you look in the webos development forum you can see were i'm working on enabling it for a handheld application i'm building. problem is the TV-out pins do no connect to anything but test points on the circuit board that are hidden under the green PCB coating. it took me a while to find them even after removing the CPU and tracing with a voltmeter.
    A test point is better than nothing connected. You said before that you had observed a signal on the video pins. Have you found out any more about it/them. Any data sheets?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    A test point is better than nothing connected. You said before that you had observed a signal on the video pins. Have you found out any more about it/them. Any data sheets?

Not yet, I want to be prepared to try a few other things if that testpoints end up not being active. what I observed was the testpoints for TV-out pins have a voltage that is fluctuating, normally when features are disabled they are pulled low, grounded out or just generally have no voltage at all. testpoints are pretty easy to solder too also so that no big deal, if the line is active it wouldnt take a whole lot to make work and still use it in its current form as a phone but its not going to be a simple software mod. might need to add a small portion of flex cable that would attach to the pins and route them to the audio connector. I stay up all weekend working on my stuff and usually get too tired. once I find what i'm looking for I wait until the next session to test things.

I have the source code that comes on the OMAP 3530 development kit CD that i'm planning to modify and build for the pre if the video signal has no output. i should know more this weekend. right now i'm getting my build environment setup so i'm prepared just in case.

Only thing I really would like and would help bigtime is a better data sheet. for some reason the one i'm working off does not mention how to enable the video line so it has me scratching my head. regardless i'll make something work. last resort for me is i'll have to do the same tracing for the LCD pins and create a custom driver for the LCD/Touch panel combo that came with my ARM9 Mini2440 development kit....much more soldering that Id have to do.

Going to be a fun project to say the least! i'm waiting until I get a solid foundation in place before I post the full specs an features im planning to implement.
    Last edited by Binary Tech; 02/12/2010 at 02:20 PM.
    That sounds great. I need to save this thread so I can refer back to it. I think I'm ready to do some hardware mods if need be.
    I certainly have no idea how any of that stuff works. But just for fun, I do know that the early videos of the Pre had a presenter using the phone with some huge black cable sticking out of it and the video up on the screen. So at some point something was possible.
    hows this thing coming along
    im interested as well! hope to her something after the update 1.4
    Quote Originally Posted by pgerbino View Post
    Yeah, a projector would be awesome! I remember seeing a way a while back for a person to use a lens they could get on Ebay and then build a cheap projector that way. I would rather have an electronic one, but I would settle for the lens projector though.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel