Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    For those who have had a BB Tour, Bold, or Bold 9700, how are you enjoying your new Pre after switching and using it regularly? I have had my Palm for nearly 3 months now and I am in love with the OS and the overall design of the phone, but there are certain aspects that I find appealing on the new BB Bold 9700 after playing with it in the store. Those things are:

1) Personally, I prefer the build and the keyboard of the BB a little more, and not having to slide it is great
    2) Battery life appears to be significantly better
    3) In my opinion, the OS is not as nice looking, but it seems faster

Here is what I think I will miss most about the Pre:

1) Bigger screen for video and pictures (I like watching stuff in bed)
    2) Browser is amazing in comparison (the BB 9700 browser is very sluggish... when are they going to improve this?), and is very easy to navigate on the larger touch screen

I'm really not a big user of apps other than perhaps medical apps like Epocrates (now on BB but is coming to the Pre), so apps don't really concern me.
    I used to have the BB8830 and the BB Curve 8900, before I got my Pre.

Blackberry handles email better imo, but it is not such a big deal.. One little thing I miss is being able to hold a letter down to capitalize it. I find myself doing it all the time on the Pre, but I just end up with a string of that letter. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... Gotta retrain my thumb skills a little better and I'll be adapted...

I love all the apps and touchscreen interface though....
    I came from a blackberry curve.

For email, the curve wins.
    For management of sound profiles, the curve wins.
    For keyboard the curve wins.
    The google maps is much better on the curve (***?).
    I liked beejive on the curve better than the integrated messaging app on the pre. For SMS, they are pretty much the same, though.

For everything else, the pre is there and beyond already, and it will hopefully catch up in the above 3 areas soon.
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 11/30/2009 at 12:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I went from a curve to a Pre and at first I missed a lot of things from the curve. I actually made a list of things that I no longer had with the pre and now I can't rememeber what those things were lol.

I, like you, recently played around with the Tour from sprint and other blackberry devices and I do miss the incredible keyboard. BB keyboards are the best in the Biz hands down. Also the battery life on my BB was amazing, I could go a day and a half without charging. I'm not too into email but i find it the same on the pre, but I hear from heavy email users that it is much worse on the Pre.

Overall I think i just miss the speed in which I would do things on a BB. Webos is just so beautiful that it hooked me even with the little added lag. Your list of things you would miss from the Pre are pretty much the same if I went back to BB.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    LOL, beside emails, what did you used your BB for? Nothing. No wonder your battery life is better. I used to have a 8830 and the difference is mind blowing on every aspect. That includes the emails. I manage my 5 email imap accounts better then my BB.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I used to be connected to aim and msn all the time, other than messaging, phone calls and web browsing. The same thing everyone else uses their phones for and the battery life was always great, my pre will last me about 8 hours with the same usage. I can take the pros with the cons.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    After thinking about it more, I think the one thing I like most about the BB is not having to slide the phone to use the keyboard. Especially here in Canada where it gets very cold and the air is very dry in the winter, the phone becomes extremely slippery and I feel like it is going to pop out of my hand each time I go to slide it. Everything else I really like more on the Pre (battery life and keyboard are manageable for me I guess).

If the Pixi had the same screen size as the Pre it would have been golden. Looking over the design of the Pixi, I'm sure they could have made the screen bigger on the face of the phone.
    Shameless blog plug: Start here:

Palm Pre: After A Month - Eric Stewart: Running Off At The Mouth

This is my "Pre after a Month" blog post that will link to earlier posts about the Pre, my experiences with the Tour, and my complaints about Sprint as a service.

I had the 8830, switched to the Tour, and then after a week or two with the Tour, returned it for the Palm Pre.

I think the Pre does email better. Calendar is definitely better on the Tour, but the extra charges for BES access from Sprint sink BlackBerry devices when it comes to Exchange integration on the Pre.

My wish right now is that a lot of what I use from the homebrew community (mainly patches, an app or two) were standard customization options on the Pre. The Pre is the device for the tweaker. But for your average joe on the street? Probably not.
    I take pictures both under water and above. I talk about a bunch of stuff.
    I went from a Mogul, to the Touch Pro, to the BB curve, and finally to the Pre. I like the Pre better than ALL of them. Any Windows OS phones have too many bugs in them. The BB Curve did have a better keyboard and BATTERY LIFE, however none of the features seem to compare to the Pre in my opinion. It was easier to build themes, but within a few days - i'll master the Pre's builder as well.
    My last phone was a Tour and I traded it for the Pre. I couldn't be happier with my decision. The only thing I miss from the BB is the battery life. The keyboard on the Pre is less comfortable to type one but I am more accurate with it. I attribute this to the chicklet style keys rather than the connected keys on the Tour. I find email to be much better on the Pre for me. My email usage is gmail with mainly HTML emails. With it being gmail I get email instantly on either device so BB's main advantage is no more. The Pre handles HTML emails much much better than the BB. Everything else I use is superior on the Pre: internet, music, photos, and apps. I am not a heavy calender user but I imagine that is better on the Tour. This isn't even taking into the consideration of multi-tasking and wifi. There is no way I would ever go back to the Tour.

edit
    Forgot about build quality. The BB build quality is excellent, very solid phone. The Pre build quality is mainly a joke. Mine is solid enough with only a bit of play in the slider which, IMHO, should be expected in a slider. But overall it feels like a toy rather than a quality smartphone. The touchstone back does make a huge difference in the feel and usability though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mxu030 View Post
    For those who have had a BB Tour, Bold, or Bold 9700, how are you enjoying your new Pre after switching and using it regularly? I have had my Palm for nearly 3 months now and I am in love with the OS and the overall design of the phone, but there are certain aspects that I find appealing on the new BB Bold 9700 after playing with it in the store. Those things are:

1) Personally, I prefer the build and the keyboard of the BB a little more, and not having to slide it is great
    2) Battery life appears to be significantly better
    3) In my opinion, the OS is not as nice looking, but it seems faster

Here is what I think I will miss most about the Pre:

1) Bigger screen for video and pictures (I like watching stuff in bed)
    2) Browser is amazing in comparison (the BB 9700 browser is very sluggish... when are they going to improve this?), and is very easy to navigate on the larger touch screen

I'm really not a big user of apps other than perhaps medical apps like Epocrates (now on BB but is coming to the Pre), so apps don't really concern me.
    I'm interested in this comparison but there seem to be a large contingent of BB users coming to the Pre who were just looking for a fun phone and don't really need a BB.

After reading others' impressions and playing with the 9700 at the store, I can say that it mostly comes down to Pre browser and pretty UI vs. 9700 calendar and overall speed. But I'm going to try one for myself, got a free 9700 on a black Friday deal.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I'm interested in this comparison but there seem to be a large contingent of BB users coming to the Pre who were just looking for a fun phone and don't really need a BB.

After reading others' impressions and playing with the 9700 at the store, I can say that it mostly comes down to Pre browser and pretty UI vs. 9700 calendar and overall speed. But I'm going to try one for myself, got a free 9700 on a black Friday deal.
    Nice! Let me know what you think when you get a chance to play with it. I had the opportunity to play with one in the store, and the things I liked most about it is the keyboard, the hardware, and how fast the core applications like the calender and email open. It's definitely not as pretty but it is very snappy when it comes to core functions. In my opinion, the Pre on the other hand has more features (such as the touchscreen) and perhaps more potential being newer (it's been somewhat exciting just stalking this site to see the latest webOS developments and news).

The most predominant qualm I have with the BB Bold 9700 is the browser speed. Web pages still take very long to load in comparison to the Pre and the navigation I found is just as painful. I'm not sure how I'll like having to scroll through all the menus, lists, and web pages on a touchpad instead of having the flick and touch convenience of a touchscreen...

In any case, I hope both parties bring something cool to the CES2010. I was quite shocked by the fact the BB browser still made me want to stick a fork in my brain. You'd think it wouldn't be so hard to program a software that can browse the web more efficiently...
    Last edited by mxu030; 11/30/2009 at 07:50 PM.
    One thing I also liked about my BB was control of the font size. I am a small font guy. In my BBs (8830 & 8900) I was able to set the font 7 and see 10+ emails listed in the email app. In the Pre I get 5.5, and even less in landscape. The Pre email app and inability to control font size is a bit of a nuisance. I was also on a corporate BB, so it was significantly locked down (I don't miss that one bit).

It would also be nice to highlight multiple emails for delete (although I do like the swipe delete).

FWIW I freakin love this phone though. It is an awesome toy and a good tool.
    I had the BB Bold and I miss everything about it except the size. The Pre is way too buggy. One thing the Pre has is the built-in Google sync, which would be awesome on the BB (being built-in instead of a downloaded app).
    i posted a review up here somewhere...will try to locate it.

here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-bb-tour.html
    So I've been playing with an AT&T 9700 for the last few days.

As expected, the browser sucks. Opera Mini 4 works just fine though, and the new version 5, though still in beta and not quite functional on the 9700, is near perfect in handling content and tabs, it will sure solve any BB browser issues once it's finished.

The BB browser is adequate for doing simple stuff, and I mostly use the browser for reading news and blogs. My bank is giving me some problems though.

3G has been quite good in the SF bay area, surprisingly. Although I did drop a call at home.

Aside from that, the 9700 is a very, very good device. BT is reliable and fast, voice dialing works well and in general everything on the BB is far ahead of the Pre, the list of features and tricks is long and will take some learning. It is not an intuitive device, but it's very powerful and fast. The keyboard is much better and one-handed use is very natural.

I did appreciate Synergy more after using it, much more integrated than on BB. At some point I wanted to email a contact, and couldn't find their email address. Then it occurred to me that on the Pre it was a unified view of that contact, which included the email from elsewhere. So thumbs up for Synergy.

I was able to find equivalent apps to all those I used on the Pre. They don't look as nice, but in general are packed with features and convenient shortcuts. All the usual Google apps are available, well except YouTube. Gmail is working fine. Music app is better than the Pre, but I'd likely go with PodTrapper for audiobooks because it really handles all the bookmarking and resume play required for that particular usage.

I'm also evaluating the PIM suite by RexWireless on it, and it's impressive. For example, as I was reviewing my calendar for Friday, one of the meeting made me realize I need to get some info before it. So from the menu I created a new task from the meeting that's just an hour earlier. There are tons of features like this on the BB, but especially with Rex.

So far I'm impressed but still lots to evaluate. I'd say that as long as one doesn't need a fancy touch UI and is not deterred by some of the advanced features, the BB appeals to those wanting a good business phone that has multimedia covered. Arguably what Palm was shooting for.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    So I've been playing with an AT&T 9700 for the last few days.

As expected, the browser sucks. Opera Mini 4 works just fine though, and the new version 5, though still in beta and not quite functional on the 9700, is near perfect in handling content and tabs, it will sure solve any BB browser issues once it's finished.

The BB browser is adequate for doing simple stuff, and I mostly use the browser for reading news and blogs. My bank is giving me some problems though.

3G has been quite good in the SF bay area, surprisingly. Although I did drop a call at home.

Aside from that, the 9700 is a very, very good device. BT is reliable and fast, voice dialing works well and in general everything on the BB is far ahead of the Pre, the list of features and tricks is long and will take some learning. It is not an intuitive device, but it's very powerful and fast. The keyboard is much better and one-handed use is very natural.

I did appreciate Synergy more after using it, much more integrated than on BB. At some point I wanted to email a contact, and couldn't find their email address. Then it occurred to me that on the Pre it was a unified view of that contact, which included the email from elsewhere. So thumbs up for Synergy.

I was able to find equivalent apps to all those I used on the Pre. They don't look as nice, but in general are packed with features and convenient shortcuts. All the usual Google apps are available, well except YouTube. Gmail is working fine. Music app is better than the Pre, but I'd likely go with PodTrapper for audiobooks because it really handles all the bookmarking and resume play required for that particular usage.

I'm also evaluating the PIM suite by RexWireless on it, and it's impressive. For example, as I was reviewing my calendar for Friday, one of the meeting made me realize I need to get some info before it. So from the menu I created a new task from the meeting that's just an hour earlier. There are tons of features like this on the BB, but especially with Rex.

So far I'm impressed but still lots to evaluate. I'd say that as long as one doesn't need a fancy touch UI and is not deterred by some of the advanced features, the BB appeals to those wanting a good business phone that has multimedia covered. Arguably what Palm was shooting for.
    Just wondering but where are you located in the Bay Area? I'm in the East Bay and 3G has always been available but it was iffy when I switched over about a year ago.
    San Francisco, Oakland and the peninsula. I understand SF is the worst due to iPhone hipsters.
    I just tried the latest Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 on the 9700 and dare I say it...it's better than the Pre browser.

Rendering is great, it's fast, it loads the full Engadget quicker than the Pre, like it's effortless. And consider this list of features:

1. Password manager
    2. Save pages offline
    3. Bookmarks synced to your desktop browser OTA
    4. Keyboard shortcuts for moving in any direction and zooming
    5. Tabs
    6. Scroll sideways auto snaps to columns
    7. Find text in page
    8. Configure font sizes
    9. Scrollbar
    10. Copy and paste

The UI is animated and a bit laggy, but it just kicks ***.

Bottom line, I think browsing on the BB is no longer a problem.