Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    I got the Pre on day one and I got a Tour later because:
    1. had a few dead pixels
    2. the top of the phone had wiggle to it
    3. the bottom of the screen looked burnt in
    4. I had 3 gmail accounts and it only showed notifications on the default one

I love palm and loved using Web OS. I figured to give it a few months and see if they fixed my issues. This is clearly the place where the experts live so I ask, is the build quality of the new Pre's better? 1.3.1 fixed some of the gmail imap issues ( that's what Palm told me 3 imap idles was not gonna work)

If not, I'll wait until it's fixed. I like the Tour but still want to get back to Palm.
    THe overall build quality has definitely been improved since the first batch of Pre's were released. Oreo effect is less common but you still probably will find a some bad pixels now and then. I never experienced the burnt in effect you are referring too. Also, I currently have multiple gmail accounts setup to immediately sync and receive notifications for all of them. Idk why palm would tell you that was not possbile?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    No
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I experienced none of your problems on my Pre from August.

Despite all the issues with the Pre, it is miles better than the Tour at being a smartphone.
    No. Build quality still the same. Just had another headphone jack die....
    Same old.

How is life with the Tour?
    I ended up getting rid of one Pre due to the slider issue. that was a month afterthe phone came out. So they did fix that. I also only have one dead pixel. The IMAP issues look to be fixed. I have 2 gmail accounts that work at the same time. As far as I can "tell" I have no issues. The new webOS update to 1.3.1 cleaned up some ofthe email issues. Over all I love the Pre still. I think if you do end up trying it agian I would check the phones boot screen for dead pixels before leaving the store. Same with the wiggle. mine has a little wiggle but nothing Im personally worried about.

Good luck and hope you get another one!
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    The OP can read all the varied responses he wants. But he won't know til he goes and buys his particular Pre. Noone here can guarantee he won't get a defective Pre. A Pre cannot be repaired..only exchanged...for a phone someone else has returned.

Which leads to playing the refurb game. So make your first 30 days count.

When Palm says something can't be repaired and you can only get refurbs as an exchange, then that's not a good sign that you will get a nondefective refurb. Here's a link indicating that a Pre can't be repaired Sprint's Pre business launch guide leaked in its entirety - Engadget Galleries from the sprint business launch guide notable for its "we can't afford to sell the Pre to the wrong customers" quote.
    Last edited by cardfan; 11/30/2009 at 07:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The OP can read all the varied responses he wants. But he won't know til he goes and buys his particular Pre. Noone here can guarantee he won't get a defective Pre. A Pre cannot be repaired..only exchanged...for a phone someone else has returned.

Which leads to playing the refurb game. So make your first 30 days count.

When Palm says something can't be repaired and you can only get refurbs as an exchange, then that's not a good sign that you will get a nondefective refurb. Here's a link indicating that a Pre can't be repaired Sprint's Pre business launch guide leaked in its entirety - Engadget Galleries from the sprint business launch guide notable for its "we can't afford to sell the Pre to the wrong customers" quote.
    Cardfan!!! Your link didnt work for me . I really wanted to read this at my desk this morning! damn it! Oh well! If you get working let me know
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Yes that worked! Thank you very much! Now I have things to read at my desk this morning!!!
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

I have a Bell Pre. The build is solid. I've never had any of the issues you've had. Gmail works. If that's all you want, then come back.

But really, hardware issues do happen with other smart phones. If it's within warranty, don't hesitate to return the phone to get a new one.
    Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Same old.

How is life with the Tour?
    The Tour is great for me. I love the blackberry OS never rebooting and the battery life. Just a boring phone. Web browsing is OK at best nothing to use in a pinch. If I never used a Pre I would probably love everything about the Tour but I know there's a better Sprint web browsing experience out there. I really wish they would do threaded text messaging better then they do in OS 5, its there but nothing like the Pre.

The refurb thing does give me a bit of pause. I hate returning something I had for 2 months and get a refurb in return. Does anyone know if you get the phone at Bestbuy does the 30 days still work in canceling and going back to where you was?
    i had some minor problems with the 2 that i purchased and took back, mostly antenna weakness was the reason i returned the phone. i did have a slight fade at the bottom of the screen but it only affected a few screen shots. and i had a dead pixel, but i only noticed it when the screen was all black, so i think it was a black only issue not a problem as a whole.

i just purchased another one (well my mother purchased it for me as an early birthday present) and will deal with all little issues like that. the only thing that will kill it for me is if the antenna is weak. HOWEVER thanks to several on here there are fixes for that, so i am not completely out of luck.

i got one june 6th then again 2 months later and noticed a different quality.

if you are really concerned with a dead pixel and stuff like that, then use the suggestion the sprint reps gave me, wait till a hardware update comes out.

i just like the phone so much i am willing to tough it out on minor issues as everyphone i have had has had some sort of blemish
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    What is the fix for a weak antenna? Does it involve duct tape and a Pringles tube?
    there is something called ACCON or something whereyou can go in and change a number and it is supposed to give you preference to the tower, like in emergency usages. if you call 911 you will not get static or have a dropped call.

i forget were i read this in here but when i find it i will post the link for you.