1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I've been wanting to get a pre for quite some time now(should get one xmas). For charging I noticed it has a mini usb port which could be used for a million different things. One thing in particular that I was thinking is attaching a flash drive to the pre.

Of course WebOS would have to be updated for this to work but in all theory you could expand the pre's space by doing so. You would need a USB Female to USB Mini Male Adapter but in theory it could work. Palm could even make mini usb flash drives that you could plug in(would be easier for palm since some USB flash drives might not work).

Anyways its just an idea you could even support stuff like printing(which could be done via wifi too?), USB headphones, etc. What do you guys think about this? I think the biggest issue would be drivers for everything if you need them? Generic drivers might not work for some things.

Thanks for any comments,
    -Toaster
    This was an oft-mentioned idea, around the time the Pre was released. I haven't heard it mentioned much since those first couple of months, though.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    The problem is that even with the right adapter, the Pre's microUSB port will not provide power. Even if someone figured out how to get USB host support on the Pre, it would require an external power source.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Hey all,

I've been wanting to get a pre for quite some time now(should get one xmas). For charging I noticed it has a mini usb port which could be used for a million different things. One thing in particular that I was thinking is attaching a flash drive to the pre.

Of course WebOS would have to be updated for this to work but in all theory you could expand the pre's space by doing so. You would need a USB Female to USB Mini Male Adapter but in theory it could work. Palm could even make mini usb flash drives that you could plug in(would be easier for palm since some USB flash drives might not work).

Anyways its just an idea you could even support stuff like printing(which could be done via wifi too?), USB headphones, etc. What do you guys think about this? I think the biggest issue would be drivers for everything if you need them? Generic drivers might not work for some things.

Thanks for any comments,
    -Toaster
    What if someone made a small unit that hugs the side of the pre, and was powwerd by a litium ion battery?
    Also, the Pre's proc will have to support usb host, which idk if it does or not...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    +1 on this...

Finding a way to read a simple flash disk or card reader (eg for an SD card) would be a life-saver for me.

I use a digital dictaphone (that records onto the aforementioned SD card) and it would be fantastic to be able to retrieve (and send, therefore, by email) files off it.

Given the Linux underbelly of WebOS, surely there must be a way?
    There is a thread here somewhere that seems to prove that it can't be done. Right after the Pre was released someone conducted some experiments and the bottom line seemed to be that even with an external power source, the hardware didn't support USB host.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    What if someone made a small unit that hugs the side of the pre, and was powwerd by a litium ion battery?
    That would be one FFuuuglly Pre... Li-ion battery compartment attached to a USB flash drive, attached to a cable, attached to the side of the Pre.... can we say, "bag-phone"?
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jye75 View Post
    That would be one FFuuuglly Pre... Li-ion battery compartment attached to a USB flash drive, attached to a cable, attached to the side of the Pre.... can we say, "bag-phone"?
    nO you missuderstood what i meant.... something about the size in diammeter of a small hearing aid (round button cell) battery, no thicker than the pre, maybe as tall as, and a slot in top or bottom or perhaps inside..that take a micro SD card...no cable would be required as it would plug into the existing port on the side. I meant for it use a micro sd, not a USB flash drive, although a port could be added to make that an option for temp use. And rember in todays tech a battery can be allmost any shape ....or a Li-ion AAAA cell or perhaps an AAAAA cell.

Its just an idea, but has me thinking
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    There is a thread here somewhere that seems to prove that it can't be done. Right after the Pre was released someone conducted some experiments and the bottom line seemed to be that even with an external power source, the hardware didn't support USB host.
    Ah but it may still be possible if the hardware was enabled possibly, after all, not all the hardware on the Pre is functional as of yet....and we won't know for sure till the SDK is opened up and released.

There has to be the ability somehow to do it...the port allready supports charging, Direct conection for syncing, and USB Drive connection.

So if it can do that, and most importantly use the Pre as a USB drive, then that leads me to belive it can be done, maybe just not yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Back on 7/28/09 There was a thread that I started where we looked into this and found it can't be done at this time. Here is the thread USB flash drive as external Pre drive?

Yet, there is a unit that is getting smaller and smaller for a connected external hard drive to the Pre. It is called a netbook. Sorry, I had to do it.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 11/30/2009 at 07:24 PM.
    The OMAP3 does support USB On-The-Go. The BeagleBoard can become a host on its micro-USB port, but you have to drive devices off a powered USB hub. It requires kernel support, which I don't know if Palm included (and I'm not sure how to turn it on if it's there). I don't think anyone has successfully rolled their own kernel yet, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Yeah, search "usb host" on the board. I asked this also.

The board also needs to support it. It's known that the board doesn't power the port. Unknown if it has hosting capability otherwise, but generally assumed not to.