Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pexton View Post
    tell me about this loophole........
    It just means that any time anything changes from your original agreement, the other party has to be notified, and given the opportunity to accept, or decline, the new terms without penalty. When you bought your Pre and signed on with Sprint, one of the things that probably drove you to your decision was the price you'd be paying for their service (which you were fully made aware of).

However, Sprint aims to increase those fees soon. They're going to send everyone a letter that says as much, and will advise you to take action (probably within 30 days). If you do nothing, you are effectively accepting the new fees, and your contractual relationship continues. However, you also have an opportunity to say "Whoa! I refuse to/can't pay more for my service!" At that point, Sprint can elect to leave your price alone (not likely), or release you from your contract without an early termination fee. You might also arrange to continue on a month-to-month basis, but your original contract is essentially through.

Of course, if you cancel, you're stuck with your Pre, but if you're unhappy enough with the product/service, it's a better trade off than continuing to be unhappy.

The thread atalbert linked to explains it all very nicely, but it's surprising how few people know this "loophole" applies to almost every service contract you sign
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    ...but it's surprising how few people know this "loophole" applies to almost every service contract you sign
    I tried this same type of thing when I was leaving Verizon to come to Sprint for the Pre. I MUST WARN YOU guys, though, that it's probably not going to be easy - it won't be like "just call them and say you want out and you're out".

With Verizon, they bumped up one of their fees and when I called to say that I had the right to cancel my contract, the girl on the other end was pretty well-versed and said that the contract states that you can "opt out of the effected service" - which, if I remember right, was some federal tax thing. So basically, she was telling me that the contract just states that I don't have to pay that $0.18 every month.

...This, on the other hand, is a much more substantial rate increase and I don't see the same type of wording in the Sprint contract that the Verizon contract has in it.
    My error usually happens when the music has been playing for a while (around 70-80+ songs played). I'm hoping 1.3.5 fixes this
    still having this problem with 1.3.5 and think I've narrowed it down to the music player. Had this problem today with the stock music player and one other (non-browser) app. After throwing away the music player and giving the pre a minute, I was able to open 15 cards without a problem. This is 1.3.5 without any patches yet installed. I had previously noted this problem on the music player remix, but it obviously isn't isolated to it. The problem likely comes from the original app. Anyone think they can find the fix? It does tend to happen only after the app has been playing a few songs, but more in the 20-25 range rather than the 70-80 range for me.

One thing I should note...the too many cards icon is now back with 1.3.5
    Last edited by kkumar99; 12/29/2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: addition
    I've had this pre just one week, did the webos update yesterday. I got the blasted message with just 3 cards out... web browser,SMS,and google maps. This was the first time for me. I threw away all the card with no change. It locked up so bad I had to power down and start over. I'm not sure if it's related but I was down to about 20% battery life.
    Problem was corrected for me in 1.31 using lower threshold it is worse for me now using 1.35 and i can not find the lower threshold in preware

Fred
    what will it take to get this fixed?
    I've never had this problem.
    I get the problem pretty consistently actually. I just unlocked my phone no cards were open and I received the error telling me to close some cards. I could not get NFS to run because it said I need to close cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Do the ones with this problem have any patches installed?

No, i don't have any patches or any homebrew apps.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    this happens for me now everytime i try to do anything with preware. i removed it from the phone n the phone started jumping to PALM screen. im running the webos DR but i truley hate the fact that im even having this issue.

one more month then im done w/ the PRE unless they can fix all the issues soon
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I just started having this problem. I updated to 1.3.5 and everything was running fine. Now, a week later, I start getting errors re: too many cards. Sometimes I only have ONE card open. Sometimes two. Once, I received it with NO cards open when trying to launch the browser from the launcher. ***?
    i thought i read somewhere that memory leak issues were going to be addressed/improved in the 1.4 update in February....im not for sure but im willing to stick around til then and find out.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    i used to have this issue, but , knockonwood, i haven't had this issue in a long time.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    I too just started having the "too many cards open" warning. It's a little irritating.
    Mine is occuring right from launch, can't even boot the phone with out this error comming up, and then the phone pretty much locks. Any suggestions? I'm gonna webdr in the morning if there isn't a quick fix.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    Ok, just my 2 cents.... I'm leaning towards the browser, email or preware. It seems to happen when ever I have been using 1 of these 3 apps. I have never had Switcharoo installed, I almost never use music apps and very rarely use google maps. I think that covers most of the finger pointing.

One thing I'd like to add, for all you that are complaining about having to remove the batt, or someone even mentioned waiting for the batt to die to do a reset... even easier than the flipping the ringer switch while pressing the power button while standing on your head or whatever.....

did everyone forget orange+sym+R to reset your device? Usually always works for me, even when my Pre stops responding.

I'm also wondering (I'm waiting for the error to rear its ugly head again so I can try), will entering and exiting airplane mode solve the issue? It would certainly be much faster than a 3 minute reset.
    Same problem here, it occurs while surfing. Hope there will be a fix with 1.4.

(btw, when will 1.4 be released?)
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    Ok, just my 2 cents.... I'm leaning towards the browser, email or preware. It seems to happen when ever I have been using 1 of these 3 apps. I have never had Switcharoo installed, I almost never use music apps and very rarely use google maps. I think that covers most of the finger pointing.

One thing I'd like to add, for all you that are complaining about having to remove the batt, or someone even mentioned waiting for the batt to die to do a reset... even easier than the flipping the ringer switch while pressing the power button while standing on your head or whatever.....

did everyone forget orange+sym+R to reset your device? Usually always works for me, even when my Pre stops responding.

I'm also wondering (I'm waiting for the error to rear its ugly head again so I can try), will entering and exiting airplane mode solve the issue? It would certainly be much faster than a 3 minute reset.
    lol - I just installed jstop and just for giggles tried to kill every single task. I obviously then found myself unable to do anything, so I just quickly did the Sym + Org + R and rebooted. Piece of cake.

Additionally, I'm interested in finding out which apps are not terminating properly as well. I second your suggestions into Preware, email, and browser - but is it possible that it's just the OS itself kinda sucking? Maybe we're all pointing the fingers in the wrong direction...
    I haven't seen the problem for a couple of weeks now and I'm not aware of using the phone very differently - except maybe for less "playing" with it than I used to.

I stand by a comment I made a while back that the issue is more related to the JVM than anything else. I have never been particularly happy with Java's garbage collection and my experiences with this problem (i.e. getting the error, waiting a couple of minutes and retrying the action successfully) still make me stand by that - the garbage collector is not freeing up memory fast enough.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast