Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I also need to chime in. In addition to now having to reboot my phone at least 1x/day now in order to get rid of the cards issue, I'm now having an issue where I'm typing a message and nothing happens. Then all of sudden the letter that I typed repeats across the page until I hit something (Ex. nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn). This has never happened before until the week.

I also noticed that my Pre isn't being backed up nightly as it had been prior to end of Nov/Early Dec timeframe. What's going on. Also of note, I've had my Pre (original) since July so not a refurb, previously happy owner that is gradually getting ****ed.
    I currently have 14 cards open as a test..filecoaster,precentral forum,main web bookmark launcher,facebook,memo,tasks,contacts,and some other misc.apps...I have over 40 patches installed. As I tried to load another card that's when the card limit warnin popped up...just addin my two cents...I have had my phone since oct...no replacements phones yet.
    Clearing my history seems to do the trick for me. A tad bit annoying since I came to the Pre from a Blackberry hoping to escape the constent clearing of stored data.
    Just called sprint direct tech support. Said it was a bug that happens from time to time. Guided me through a hard reset (not the menu option but a different way) and it works great now.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I am getting this issue every day. I have just one browser card open, after just a few minutes if I click a link @ google news which opens another card I get a too many cards error and no the full error card does not show up. If I surf to a few more sites I will soon get a critical memory error. Again just one card open, no background apps except of course email and calender working.

Pretty much makes this phone useless and any advantage over any other phone is gone.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Update on my phone. I did one of my now daily soft resets and lo and behold, all of my patches were gone and other than my theme, the phone was stripped. One good thing that came out of this was that the performance of my phone improved tremendously. I've been adding patches back one by one to see if I can determine what was causing the issue but thus far no culprit has serviced.

Has anyone had their phone clear out the patches all by itself. This is the second time that this has happened. The first time I thought that I was loosing my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    I also need to chime in. In addition to now having to reboot my phone at least 1x/day now in order to get rid of the cards issue, I'm now having an issue where I'm typing a message and nothing happens. Then all of sudden the letter that I typed repeats across the page until I hit something (Ex. nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn). This has never happened before until the week.

I also noticed that my Pre isn't being backed up nightly as it had been prior to end of Nov/Early Dec timeframe. What's going on. Also of note, I've had my Pre (original) since July so not a refurb, previously happy owner that is gradually getting ****ed.
    possible culprit...have noticed that this error happens more often with the music player remix, especially with messaging open at the same time. Have switched to the stock music player to test theory...anyone else notice this?

update: ok, its a combination of messaging, music player (stock or remix), and browser that kills my pre...usually all three have to be open for this problem to start, because I have had 2 open several times without problems. May be a heavier leaning on messaging and music player even though most here seem to blame the browser. The only patches I have for these apps is messaging time stamp and landscpe messaging...may try removing these.
    Last edited by kkumar99; 12/12/2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: update
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    possible culprit...have noticed that this error happens more often with the music player remix, especially with messaging open at the same time. Have switched to the stock music player to test theory...anyone else notice this?

update: ok, its a combination of messaging, music player (stock or remix), and browser that kills my pre...usually all three have to be open for this problem to start, because I have had 2 open several times without problems. May be a heavier leaning on messaging and music player even though most here seem to blame the browser. The only patches I have for these apps is messaging time stamp and landscpe messaging...may try removing these.
    I can't say for sure that Music Player (Remix) doesn't have any memory leaks since I've never done an in-depth analysis of the app using WORM (resource monitoring tool provided with the webOS SDK). I have it on my to-do list.

However what I can say for certain is that some of the built-in apps (or the OS itself) cause the "too many cards open" error. The reason I know this is because both my wife and my sister-in-law have a Pre and neither of them use the phone for anything other than 4 things:

1) Phone
    2) Web browsing
    3) Email
    4) Contacts

Neither of them have Music Player (Remix) or any other non-stock apps installed. Yet they both get the "too many cards open" error pretty often. So either one (or some) of the 4 apps I listed above have a memory leak issue, or something in the OS does.
    add me too!! Still happening!!
    lets go Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I can't say for sure that Music Player (Remix) doesn't have any memory leaks since I've never done an in-depth analysis of the app using WORM (resource monitoring tool provided with the webOS SDK). I have it on my to-do list.

However what I can say for certain is that some of the built-in apps (or the OS itself) cause the "too many cards open" error. The reason I know this is because both my wife and my sister-in-law have a Pre and neither of them use the phone for anything other than 4 things:

1) Phone
    2) Web browsing
    3) Email
    4) Contacts

Neither of them have Music Player (Remix) or any other non-stock apps installed. Yet they both get the "too many cards open" error pretty often. So either one (or some) of the 4 apps I listed above have a memory leak issue, or something in the OS does.

I don't think it is unique to the remix version, because it happens with the stock player as well. All I can figure out is the music player is usually running along with the browser and messaging app. For me it's some combination of those 3 apps. I recently removed the messaging landscape patch to see if this makes any difference. So far, haven't had the problem yet, but a little to soon to tell...
    When did they say the update was coming out to fix this problem?
    i've been getting this issue lately, i only have 1 card open (web browser). I noticed this weekend when i go to autotrader and click on car images it gives me the too many cards open message.

but last times it has happened it's been with only the browser open.
    So Frustrating!!

I just unplugged my phone for the charger and noticed that I have three task reminders. I tried to open the Task from the little icon...Too Many Cards! But, I don't have ANY cards open!

Now I can't open any apps- not even Device Info to do a reset.
    Good thing I remembered the little "flip the ringer on and off while pressing power" reboot.

I get the TMC message at least once a day- usually with 1 or 2 cards open. but I never had to reset it before.
    Ive doctored my phone twice and ran it vanilla with no resolve. Using the Web app for me tends to get that odd looking too many cards open error. I can see patches consuming more resources, saw a chug when i had 50 patches on the phone and got better when i got down to 20, but running vanilla still yeilds this for me. Last weekend I went back to 1.2.1 and all is fine even with the ever so plenty patched installed.

Ive posted my feedback to Palm so just waiting for what the next update will do.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    I dunno if anybody else has noticed... But the last few days my Pre has been actually rebooting (must be a Luna reboot cuz it's quite fast) before I see this message...

Right now I had nothing open except for Google Maps (I was checking out the updates) and then my map went completely white, and about 30 seconds later I got the "Palm" logo and it's rebooting...

Anybody else?
    I was almost positive it was a memory leak associated with the twitter app I'm using as it becomes sluggish and unresponsive then the error occurs.
    A full powerdown is not required to illeviate the issue, a Luna restart will do it. I would suggest downloading the Luna manager until palm fixes this. I restart Luna about once a day and it keeps it working ok.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I was getting the problem w/no cards open. Tonight, I couldn't even open my mail or use the calendar. I couldn't open the device info to clear the cache/history. I hadn't downloaded any apps in a few days, though I was using Google Maps today--I only use it occasionally. Until I did a reboot, all I could do was text or use the phone. Nothing else would open. Couldn't set the alarm or anything. This is new to me. The browser wasn't open, I don't have remix, etc.

BUT since 1.3.1, I have also noticed some other odd things. Some times after I use the text function, it will come up w/the person's contact info. Other times, my photo app comes up. It is doing this on its own as I have put the phone down or on the charger--I am not touching it.

The last two were frustrating, but the the "Too Many Cards" just about broke this camel's back. I love the phone, but I have one smail criteria: it must be functional.
    Last edited by Mike5; 12/16/2009 at 08:50 AM.
    The new update is just garbage... It has added way more problems than solutions. I hope Palm fixes this 'cause I'm getting tired of the slowness and the too many card open BS.
    I have the same "Too Many Cards" issue. It happens when I have one card open, and it happens even when I'm not online. I now have to pull out the battery once a day.

This is pathetic.