1.    #1  
    -battery life? If I don't do anything, the phone could last all day or be dead in the afternoon. If I make a couple of brief phone calls or text a lot, it can be dead by 6pm. Used to last, 12-16 hours with heavy usage (some calls, lots of text, lots of emails, some web, even some GPS with charger attached)
    -processor speed/performance (i.e., speed at which apps open, close, and respond when in use)? Apps very laggy on open and close, phone app very slow response with all buttons. Camera slow to open, slow to take pics, hangs for quite a few seconds. All used to be pretty instantaneous.

Any fixes or tips? Please don't say turn off data when not in use or lock data to 1XRTT -- actually, if there were a quick data on/off toggle, I would be cool, but having to go into phone and preferences is a pain.

What I am hoping for are some Homebrew fixes I can load to optimize the phone.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pelikan3; 11/29/2009 at 11:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    There are already a million threads on battery life if you bother searching. There are also homebrew apps to turn on/off data if you bother looking.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    There are already a million threads on battery life if you bother searching. There are also homebrew apps to turn on/off data if you bother looking.
    There are also lots of endless threads that, at one end are nothing but complaints, and at the other end are nothing but very advanced LINUX programmer-speak. Fortunately, there are ALSO lots of people who are helpful enough to actually point folks in the right direction, rather than tersely saying "if you bother looking". That's like directing someone to gigantic user manual and saying, "it's in there. Good luck." I'm one of those people that's willing to take the time to help others, and not worry about telling them they should sift through endless threads. Too bad you are not. I'll wait for someone who is, and I'll return the favor in kind to someone who needs my help. You never know, it might be you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    There are also lots of endless threads that, at one end are nothing but complaints, and at the other end are nothing but very advanced LINUX programmer-speak. Fortunately, there are ALSO lots of people who are helpful enough to actually point folks in the right direction, rather than tersely saying "if you bother looking".
    Well the problem here is that battery drain is a pretty user (and usage) specific. You don't want to hear "turn off data", but that's kind of what it comes down to. So, I suspect it all really depends on how important it is to you and how much you want to do. You proabably need to sort through some of those "endless threads" to determine which tips apply to you ... it's kind of pointless to rehash them trying to guess which one might help you.

I doubt if you're going to find the one fix or the "magic" tip that will double your battery life. But if you do ... be sure to let us know 8^).
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Rob. Actually, an easy access toggle for turning data on and off wouldn't be so bad. I already used to do that with the GPS, and still do it with WiFi and blue tooth. I'm not worry about having email pushed to my device (I can hit send/receive), and the extra step before hitting the web browser isn't that big a deal. It's the several steps of, opening my phone, going to preferences, scrolling down, turning on data, doing what I want, then turning it back off, that is the annoying prospect.

It would be great if each new release didn't seem to do more harm than good. My battery life and processor/app performance are the worst they've been since I got the device. I'm tempted to do a WebOS reimage, as this has helped before, but I hate putting my custom ringers back on.
    I use one of two methods to improve my battery life:-

1) Quick System Tasks is a great little app that will allow you toggle all the battery draining things on or off really easily.

2) I have installed the patches from PreWare to include the Data and GPS toggle in my system menu.

Its now 18.48 on Monday evening, and I last charged my phone on Friday at noon and its still going and will only require charging when I go to bed tonight at about 11pm.

Like the other users said, its no major hassle to toggle something on or off before you need to check an email.

I'm currently doing the full charge-to practically empty loop for a few cycles to see what improvements that brings even though there are a mixed bag of opinions.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwilliams View Post
    I use one of two methods to improve my battery life:-

1) Quick System Tasks is a great little app that will allow you toggle all the battery draining things on or off really easily.

2) I have installed the patches from PreWare to include the Data and GPS toggle in my system menu.

Its now 18.48 on Monday evening, and I last charged my phone on Friday at noon and its still going and will only require charging when I go to bed tonight at about 11pm.

Like the other users said, its no major hassle to toggle something on or off before you need to check an email.

I'm currently doing the full charge-to practically empty loop for a few cycles to see what improvements that brings even though there are a mixed bag of opinions.
    Wow... that's great! I took my phone off the charger around 8am this morning, did about a dozen texts, answered about a dozen emails, and answered maybe two quick phone calls. It's now 5:46pm in the evening (same day) and I am at 23% battery power. That's ridiculous. I used to be able to use this thing like a kid who can't put is PS2 down for 12 hours and never run out of juice.

Thanks for your help. I'll try those options. I haven't rooted THIS Pre yet (I'm on number 4), but only because I found it ran great bare at 1.1. It's only 1.2 and 1.3 that have proven to be slow to perform and quick to eat power.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i recommend smartreflex 500