Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    What exactly are you using, patch and overclockingwise
    I would love to have that kind of life from my battery.
    5 weeks old with smartreflex500 and it doesn't last very long
    ive got 34 patches total including the smartreflex 600. since the smartreflex its improved immensely. that is if im not using it a ton. the bat drops like a rock when im using it but seems to not move when its in staind by.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    but the pre is really a terrible phone. i love the software and all the capabilities but wow the depressing part of this phone is it gets hot, sometimes when i tap the phone it turns off completely, and the battery life is horrendous. seriously, i take my phone off the charger at around 9 or 10 and it ran out completely at 1 and barely did a few texts, maybe 10 mins of facebook chat, turned the data off and turned wifi on and have dim screen. im sorry im gunna have to say this but this battery life is as bad or worse then the razr for sprint or the blade. even my mogul at the time when i ran everything lasted atleast twice the length of what im getting with the pre

I dont know if I would say that the problems you are having warrant a "Terrible phone" desciption. My old iphone would get hotter than my pre does now after minimimal usage. Phone was great, just had issues that turned out to be a defect. I freceived a brand new iphone tthat hen had heating problems but not to the same extent as the first, which was normal . Batteries when continuously used will heat, thats undeniable. Ever own a laptop?. For someone who is seeking help and has been in the phone biz for so long, your defensiveness is understandable but seems childish. Do research first. Yes, the battery doesnt hold the best charge. At least its replaceable unlike the old iphone and a second battery can be plugged in. I had more issues with my iphone than I have so far with my pre...doesnt make it a terrible phone. My iphone would restart for no reason, just as would almost EVERY Blackberry Ive owned, and me being a phone hoarder I ve owner alot (8 BB Alone in the past 3 years). My advice is either return for a new pre, or new phone in general. If time is given, I would say this phone is great for people needing to multitask. Yes its problematic, but its also still in its infancy, and (HOPEFULLY) will develope into a great device. If not, then I will join you in saying its terrible...however I feel it deserves some time to fix the problems/issues we all worry about.
    am i the only one?
    nothing wrong with my Pre!
    good luck with yours
    nope, not the only one because as have stated before and you can reference any poll that the MAJORITY of people probably have not exchanged their pres even once.

but lets not discredit the people that have no matter if they look like newbies that have only 1 or two posts or whether people that are on this forum that are well respected (even probably by you) that have had to exchange their phones once or twice.

I mean, look at mrloserpunk. I find him to be a well respected member on the forum and he has gone through SEVEN PRE's!!!

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nksgiving.html

Is he just being anal and nitpicky or 'finding' defects in his phone?

I don't think so. Unfortunately people have had issues. The whole phone is not a failure and not 100% fail but I think over some time that people will say and maybe start admitting that the Pre is not the most solid phone made out there compared to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    am i the only one?
    nothing wrong with my Pre!
    good luck with yours
    Last edited by donm527; 11/29/2009 at 12:36 PM.
    what kind of signal strength are you getting in your area? if their is nothing wrong with the phone then I can only wonder about signal strength. If you have terrible signal then the phone may be working as hard as it can to acquire signal and using up your battery.

but the pre is really a terrible phone. i love the software and all the capabilities but wow the depressing part of this phone is it gets hot, sometimes when i tap the phone it turns off completely, and the battery life is horrendous. seriously, i take my phone off the charger at around 9 or 10 and it ran out completely at 1 and barely did a few texts, maybe 10 mins of facebook chat, turned the data off and turned wifi on and have dim screen. im sorry im gunna have to say this but this battery life is as bad or worse then the razr for sprint or the blade. even my mogul at the time when i ran everything lasted atleast twice the length of what im getting with the pre
  6.    #26  
    first off, i want to thank everyone who is contributing to this thread, its more assuring that people are willing to take time to help me understand what to do and others stories so thank you pre community.

to the mods, i want to express with deep sincerity that the previous post i created is not a defination of my character in anyway. i simply was offended and a post like that earlier does remind me of the ******** kiosk reps here that ruined sales for sprint in the county my team and i established and grew and got them here do to the massive surge in sprint sales. so sorry moderators, and thanks for your respect and honesty

to the community, my problem is this. and even today with little texting i did and 1 picture mail, my battery lasted from 10:15- 1:30. the only mod i have is 4x4, battery %, and bmw theme. my signal is very good driving around, in my house is varies but in my house its always on the charger anyways. i have the newest prl, 1.3.1 software, low display setting, and turn data off when at home to use wifi and vise versa when traveling. it reminds me of my old compaq laptop that i did everything to conserve battery and unplug it and it would get hot and last litterally hour and a half and this was a laptop in 2006. got my new toshiba with 64 bit 4 gig ram and gunna upgrade to windows 7 dual core and battery lasts 3 hours at most which is fine for me.

about the phone, i absolutly love it. i just discovered that net2stream program has police radio streaming from the chicago area. i love the browser, i love the camera and multitasking is perfect. the only thing that bothers me is the damn battery. even my mogul was a poor battery performer and lasted longer then this, and i miss my blackberry curve how i could stream radio literally all day and it would last all day or barely use it and it would last 2-3 days. if the pre had the battery like the blackberry, slingbox like windows mobile, and webos. id be in love. sadly heres my problem and this is a major focus problem i have here. i live in south central pennsylvania and the problem i face here is TEP repair shops are the worst here. like i mentioned my distain here for the kiosk in my area, i have to travel to either lancaster or reading for a TEP shop and THEY ARE 3RD PARTY KIOSKS. they look at the phone, play with the flip, play with the software and maybe check the PRL. thats literally it after that, they give back the phone and make me deal with the problem. i cant order a replacement over the phone because its expensive and they dont repair or replace phones properly in the area. and if i ask for a new battery, they give me a used battery and if i argue with them, they dont care and talk trash about customers to the associates or other customers. there is no way for me to complain about my phone and actually feel satisfied they done something to solve my problem. please PLEASE help me, guide me to what i can do. its under TEP and cant take it anymore
    Like I said, you should doctor it! It worked great for me and it sounds like the same problem.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleprettyman View Post
    Like I said, you should doctor it! It worked great for me and it sounds like the same problem.
    i actually should have mentioned i did doctor it once already but that was when i upgraded to 1.3 and forgot to reset the themes and mods... so doctored it to 1.1 and upgraded again
    i tried 4x4 once and noticed a drop in battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhall View Post
    I don't know about you, but my razr and razr2 both lasted days on one charge. Maybe it's the area you are in.
    These phones don't even compare to the energy needed to power a Pre. I don't believe any of these were touchscreens. Correct me if I'm wrong though. The Pre is always connected to the web, GPS, or Signal at all times. You throw in multitasking, tweaks (for some) and the fact that most people actually play with their phone more since it can do more, then you have an energy hungry device.
    well if you are still with in two weeks since you bought the phone i would give it atleast another week to see if it smooths out some . but if its past the three week mark ,the first thing i would do is just replace the battery . there have been issues with some of these batteries and one of them is overheating due to manuf. screw up lol . anyways if that does not resolve your issue then a quick visit to the webos repair utility will fix you up most of the time with out loosing any personal data and then of course there is web doctor. on a side note if you get another battery please keep it on as full a charge as you can for the first three weeks. there are some people around saying to let it die out then recharge. well this is wrong and incorrect, your pre battery love the juice when its first started for at least three weeks after that you should be good to go!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Why is your phone getting so hot? How have you setup your email sync on your accounts? Have you set it up to download email immediately or at intervals? That may be causing your battery to drain if you have numerous email accounts that constantly poll for new messages...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    im glad your not a girl gfunk lol hehe ha!!! sorry just couldnt resist!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    ive got 34 patches total including the smartreflex 600. since the smartreflex its improved immensely. that is if im not using it a ton. the bat drops like a rock when im using it but seems to not move when its in staind by.
    i am getting similar results. battery monitor says i use about 2%/hour vs ~4 out of the box. you can see the battery meter dropping if you are running cpu intensive apps. i'd like to get better life with smartreflex 500 but i really like the 1.2.1 snappiness of webos @ 600.
    thank fihiro.
    if your battery gets really hot, i'm almost sure it's a hardware issue. I've had the Pre for about 3 months now and do not notice a hot battery but it does get warm once it's been charging for a while. The phone should not get hot.
    comparing the battery life on a RAZR to the Pre is like comparing the gas mileage of a geo metro and an H3. Its not a fair comparison at all and should not be used. Compare devices with capacitive touchscreens. Anything else is total folly.

OP if you have another battery test that. If you cant simply go to a sprint corp store and request an exchange or at least a test. If you feel like the corp store cant or wont help you, I would call sprint and speak with a supervisor reguarding your concerns about the corp store. I have had issues with them before, but a call to sprint and a note on my account smoothed the waters for me!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    setting aside the battery issues, you also mentioned that when you touch the screen it turns off, that also points to a defective phone.
    I had one that did that too, took it to my store and they ordered me a new one right away (well refurb, but the refurb is better than my original one so far)

Sorry to hear that you don't live close to a good repair center. perhaps call retentions and tell them your concerns, maybe they'll ship you the replacement with the envelope to send your old one back
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    To begin with , its a painful process.
    Back up your photos , music and ringtones.
    Doctor it first.
    Check email sync interval. Make it hourly or two hours.
    Turn Auto Locate off.
    Close unused cards.
    Check if your yahoo and hotmail are misbehaving i.e. issues with these emails.

I am sure you might have done these , but at this point I see Pre following the WinMo route.
    Reset the device then things work just fine.

I would say stay away from Homebrew patches, but that's like stopping your breath. Can't do that
    I haven't read over this thread very closely, so you may have already tried this...

First, try running the battery down until it shuts off. Then charge it back up and see if the battery drain is any better.

Also, check the battery itself and make sure that it is securely in place. If it wiggles, try putting a piece of paper or foam in there to hold it in place, as this wiggling could explain why your Pre turns off if you touch it.

If these don't work, pay a visit to the doctor. If that still doesn't fix things,odds are you will be able to swap your Pre for a different one at a sprint store.
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    on a little lighter note. if your phone is heating up and the battery is dying that fast there is a hardware issue. Im by no means an expert but my phone is heavily modded and also overclocked and i still haven't put my phone on the charger today since 10:00am. its now 130am. thats with all the radios on. i wish you luck

you most like never use your phone but to make calls, no way, dont get me wrong i can do it too but thats when im really busy at work, unplugged by 9am switch battery by 1pm
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast