Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. Fihiro's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
       #1  
    This is starting to agitate me a bit.
    The camera technology that the pre has is amazing for its size, however, I think they butchered it with that post-production in-phone image touch up technology.

    Allow me to summarize the process of this picture taking.

    1) Take Photo
    2) Amazing Photo!
    3) RUIN IT WITH SOFTWARE.

    Case in point:
    Photo

    Now lets zoom in to 1:1.

    Photo Zoomed

    If you look on his cheek, the camera can resolve the PEACH fuzz on his face!
    Amazing! But, look elsewhere and it looks like a watercolor. I will GLADLY take a photo with a little bit of noise and more detail resolve than a watercolored piece of ****.
  2. #2  
    Zomg my cell phone isn't as good as my dslr!!!!!
  3. #3  
    Do you want a cell phone or do you want a camera? If the made take good pictures like a camera then people would complain because it's to big. Because of the small sensor they have to use software to cut down the noise.
  4. #4  
    you've been complaining about the camera since September, haha!
  5. pomokey's Avatar
    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    #5  
    I think what Fihiro is trying to say, is that the camera hardware may be capable of taking much higher quality pictures, but the post-processing software seems to be messing that up. he's not complaining that the camera on his phone isn't as good as a dslr, but that the hardware isn't being used to its full potential.

    this may be something that can be corrected with a software update, but I really don't know
  6. Fihiro's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I think what Fihiro is trying to say, is that the camera hardware may be capable of taking much higher quality pictures, but the post-processing software seems to be messing that up.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I want people to realize.

    There should be options in the camera to turn off, or at least moderate the post-processing. As you can see, it does capture amazing photos, its just that the post processing ... effectively ruins them.

    In your pocket is a wonderfully capable 3 megapixel camera that can (under good light conditions) take amazing photographs that I personally would consider acceptable for graphics work. And it doesnt (in my opinion) seem to be 3 megapixels for ****s and giggles, there is actual detail being resolved when you view it closely. (IE: The peach fuzz!)
  7. ieko's Avatar
    Posts
    354 Posts
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    #7  
    *Shrug* I'm really happy with the camera, I've been blown away by it compared to the one I had in my iPhone 3G.
  8. Fihiro's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
       #8  
    My old phone was a Sony w810i, 2 megapixel and its technology is now 2+ years old.

    It was noisy, sure, but it did not have the software algorithm to 'improve' photos.
    Thus the details come shining through the noise, and the amount of noise present (again, my opinion) is nice. It's frustrating to know that the pre's camera hardware is leaps and bounds better than my old phone's but detail is lost over something as silly as built in software (over)processing

    Example

    My examples
    1
    2
    Last edited by Fihiro; 11/29/2009 at 02:12 AM.
  9. JTH182's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    #9  
    Man, if I had a girl like that I wouldn't be worrying about what kind of pictures my cell phone takes... I'd be having sex.
  10. Fihiro's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    Man, if I had a girl like that I wouldn't be worrying about what kind of pictures my cell phone takes... I'd be having sex.
    Unfortunately that's not taken with my phone =(
  11. cfbauer's Avatar
    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    #11  
    I've actually noticed that with the camera too. I thought something looked weird about the photos, but couldn't put my finger on it. If it really is the software doing it, I would like the option to turn it off.

    And I love the unfunny responses at the top by people who don't understand your point but are trying to be snarky.
  12. #12  
    if you want it build it . My pics come out fine 90% of the time . But in certain instances when the sun is in just the right or wrong position this will happen . Its no big deal . If you want the software either make it or wait like the rest of us . Hey that's just me ,personaly I bought a phone with a pretty good camra not a camra with a phone .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    Man, if I had a girl like that I wouldn't be worrying about what kind of pictures my cell phone takes... I'd be having sex.
    And comments like that probably explain the why you don't...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    I've actually noticed that with the camera too. I thought something looked weird about the photos, but couldn't put my finger on it. If it really is the software doing it, I would like the option to turn it off.

    And I love the unfunny responses at the top by people who don't understand your point but are trying to be snarky.
    :hugs:
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    *Shrug* I'm really happy with the camera, I've been blown away by it compared to the one I had in my iPhone 3G.
    That's weird. The iPhone has one of the best cameras in the industry. It is consistently reviewed better than cameras with higher megapixels. The 3GS camera is even better. I don't think the difference is in the hardware as much as it is the software. That is something that I doubt is high on Palm's priority list as they have more important things to deal with. They also may not have the expertise. Do they have any experience making cameras or image processing software? A good camera phone takes a lot more than just ordering parts and slapping them in a device.
  16. #16  
    teh iphone can neva looz!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That's weird. The iPhone has one of the best cameras in the industry. It is consistently reviewed better than cameras with higher megapixels. The 3GS camera is even better. I don't think the difference is in the hardware as much as it is the software. That is something that I doubt is high on Palm's priority list as they have more important things to deal with. They also may not have the expertise. Do they have any experience making cameras or image processing software? A good camera phone takes a lot more than just ordering parts and slapping them in a device.
    this isn't true.

    samsung's cameraphones, and casio's cameraphones are consistantly ranked/reviewed better than the iphone 2 or 3g, and yes even the 3gs

    the 3gs brought a host of huge improvments. but is still bested by the samsung camera phones, bar none.

    but Like you said, there is a software issue here, but I personally think it is both. the size of the lens, focus abilities, and sensor make a huge difference, as does the image processing.

    for me, the post processing on the pre is over agressive, and there are no user controls and the fact the camera (like the iphone 3g) is fixed lens makes it worse than the iphone 3gs for many situations. however, for indoor* photo's of friends and quick shots like that, the flash makes it superior to even the iphone 3gs.

    both palm and iphone do not have great cameras. the iphone 3gs has great software, but if you want a camera-first-phone, the iphone is not there.


    as to the op, I agree, the phone could offer alot more, just a few user settings would let me take far better pictures.

    *ie low light
    Last edited by windzilla; 11/29/2009 at 03:07 PM.
    There are four lights.
  18. #18  
    I didn't bring up the iPhone. It is what it is, and what it is is the best in class at many things. Apple worked for a long time and spent untold millions on R&D to produce it. Palm is the one who came out of the gate trying to build a reputation on being better than the iPhone. The camera is just a symptom of a bigger problem. Slapping parts together and producing a long feature list does not a good experience make.

    And anyone who thinks the Pre's camera is better than the iPhone's can't be taken seriously.
  19. #19  
    i am not to be taken seriously then, after having used both extensively side by side.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    i am not to be taken seriously then, after having used both extensively side by side.
    It's mighty big of you to admit it.

    Cameras can be highly subjective. In the professional reviewing world, even the Droid, another "iPhone killer", does not match the 3GS phone. In the right circumstances, most of these phones should be able to take decent pictures. I just think the bar is much higher now, than it was a couple of years ago.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions