Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I ran the most recent webOS Doctor and went through the steps as directed.

When the phone restarted I was prompted with the menu for the language and eula agreement etc. Everything was normal and it loaded into the main screen.

I booted into USB media mode and found pictures and videos I had on the phone still there.

Has Palm changed how the doctor works? Or was my installation a semi failure?
    I have noticed the same thing. I am glad they are leaving the usb alone saves time after doctoring by not having to add back music, ringtones, and videos.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    In one sense I'm glad I'm not alone and I also agree it's nice not having to reload media.

It does leave me feeling like not everything has been undone and wiped though. It left the virtual-keyboard folder too.

Thinking the restore was borked, I tried installing a patch I had installed before.
    I figured if patches or other homebrew installations still existed I'd get an error. But I didn't. It installed, I rebooted and the patch applied.

So, I guess everything is alright? I look forward to anyone who knows more about the newest doctor can confirm it indeed wipes everything patches, homebrew apps and restores the factory state files (but leaves videos and pics)
    there are two partitions on the pre. the system one and the one accessible via usb... the webdoc cleans only the system one. And leaves everything you have on the massstorage area...
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Heres one for you too, dont know if its been mentioned before. If you have the launcher add/remove pages patch and create new pages, it actually backs it up to your palm profile.
    I just had my pre replaced and I havent installed any new patches but when my profile was loaded I had a fourth launcher page with the same apps there that I had there previously (minus any homebrew)

reason I mention it is, I dont know what else is being backed up to the palm profile and therefore no idea how much is actually being removed by doctoring seeing as some of the problems you might have been having which caused you to doctor it might actually be backed up in the cloud and reloaded
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Not for me -

Doctored with 1.3.1 three days ago and it always wipes my ROM clean - no MP3, no Pics, no Vids when I reboot. Everything is gone. I anticipate this and save everything, but this occurs every time I Doctor the phone.

Here's another very interesting finding....

I started a different thread about how I'm sticking to a patch-free, stock Pre for a while since I've noticed significant speed improvements after Doctoring.

One patch I had was "Extra Launcher Pages". Before doctoring I had 4 pages with about 12 Apps on the "4th" page. 7 of these apps were from Palm's app catalog and the others were HomeBrew. Here's the interesting part: After completing the Doctoring process, I still have 4 launcher pages (not patched and I do NOT have the ability to add/remove pages) and the 7 apps from Palm were on the "4th" page. I understand that where your apps are placed is part of your settings that are constantly backed up....but it appears whatever tagging of the app that occurs to tell it which page it resides on can essentially tell the phone to create a new page without a patch installed.

Screenshots attached.

Very Interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    Heres one for you too, dont know if its been mentioned before. If you have the launcher add/remove pages patch and create new pages, it actually backs it up to your palm profile.
    I just had my pre replaced and I havent installed any new patches but when my profile was loaded I had a fourth launcher page with the same apps there that I had there previously (minus any homebrew)

reason I mention it is, I dont know what else is being backed up to the palm profile and therefore no idea how much is actually being removed by doctoring seeing as some of the problems you might have been having which caused you to doctor it might actually be backed up in the cloud and reloaded
    HAHAHA....I was typing my reply when you posted yours....too weird.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    ha yeh it was!

Ive just erased my backup and im redoctoring my phone now. Prior to getting the new phone I had really bad battery drain, I removed all patches and it dropped to less than 1% per hour on standby. Since I got my new phone the battery drain is around 3-4% so im assuming something I removed was actually backed up and now its back on my new phone!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    ha yeh it was!

Ive just erased my backup and im redoctoring my phone now. Prior to getting the new phone I had really bad battery drain, I removed all patches and it dropped to less than 1% per hour on standby. Since I got my new phone the battery drain is around 3-4% so im assuming something I removed was actually backed up and now its back on my new phone!
    This is what I'm concerned about.

I installed MyTether (the older version. I hadn't noticed it didn't work with 1.3.1 and I'd need to pay to get the latest) I had turned it on and found out it didn't work. I never turned it off and then uninstalled it using Orange key + tap icon. I then read on a forum that I'd need to uninstall it using the cmd line. I thought I'd try to run a cmd to uninstall but it never seemed to uninstall anything. I think. So either the orange tap uninstall worked or I just wasn't using the right cmd.

In any event, I noticed my battery dying a little faster than usual so I began to worry MyTether was still running and I had no way to uninstall. I figured webOS would be good by just wiping everything away.

But now I notice when I install GDial Pro and wIRC that all the settings still exist and even the history from past IRC connections.

That has me worried mytether could still be on there.

What will homebrewer users do if webos doesn't wipe everything out?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Diggedy, what do you mean you just erase your backup?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    How do I completely erase my Palm Profile? - Palm Services for webOS - Palm Support Community

Is this a solution? Am I reading it right that you can delete the backup in your Palm Profile in the cloud by turning of backups on your phone?

So could we do this and then webOS doctor and get a totally fresh phone?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    yes to erase the backup just switch the backup off on your phone and it gives the option to erase your backup.

Ive just done it this morning and when I logged into my profile it told me there was no backed up data. Ive noticed a few other things starting to work like app counter in the app catologue, this wasnt there before even though I know it should have been. looks like theres been more than one patch messing with my system.
    I was having trouble with my wifi too, it kept failing on the ip configuration on my router and I was having to manually assign an ip address. I thought the problem was with my router but after erasing my palm profile it now works.

I will be keeping my backups turned off from now on. There are too many unknowns with this service and its unreliable to start with. Ive already noticed an improvement in battery life since I doctored my phone which is unusual seeing as battery life is usually worse after doctoring as the battery needs to be calibrated. Theres definitely been something backed up which was messing with my phone
    Last edited by diggedy; 11/29/2009 at 04:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Cool.

I did it just now. Shut off the backup and did erase. It cycled for a minute or so. I waited a little more than 20 mins (per the advice by the tech support guy on the palm profile)

Ran webOS, just got the setup screen and it didn't prompt me for my passwords like it did the last time I doctored.

I didn't expect the USB media to delete. I ran a full erase from Device. I'll see what happens as I reinstall HB apps and see if the settings are still on the phone like the last time. If not, I think I can rest a little easier knowing this was a fresh install from both ends. Palm Profile back will be clean and my phone will be clean.