Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there some secret to using the pre without an sim card. The reason I ask is Im moving overseas in a few months. In the mean time I wanted to use things like wifi, and the camera. I also wanted to get everything (non phone related) set up before I go over there, that was the whole reason I bought my pre before going over.

Thanks
    Last edited by omox; 11/28/2009 at 06:15 PM.
    What secret would you be refering to? The Pre does not have a sd card slot to begin with unless you are talking about a sim card. Plus you need to fill some of the blanks.
    yes you can use the phone without service but only the wifi. you will not be able to connect service with that phone on a gsm network.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4.    #4  
    I meant sim card. I have an unlocked gsm model and basically I want to be be able to use things like wifi and the camera, but do not need the phone right away.
    yes you should be able to use the stuff on the phone just not service as far as phone goes unless you get a sim card , and even then it might be a pain to use in a different country unless thats where you bought it at. lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6.    #6  
    I appologize for my ignorance, but this is my first usb equipped palm. All I can get when I turn on the phone is pictures showing how to install the battery and sim card. You had something on your last post about usb mode. Can you please be more specific as to what that is and the steps needed to do that.
    you would most likely have to have a sim card . since you changed what you said its different you could order whats called a rebel sim card online im sure which should help you open the phone up
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  8.    #8  
    Thank you for the response. It still is very frustrating. I thought since I had an unlocked phone I would not have to buy another card to unlock it again. I also thought I would at least be able to use the pre without having to have a phone service already. Im not sure what part of my post your saying ive changed, but let me know if I can give any more specific information.
    you edited the first post ,but any ways thats what the sim slot is for .you dont have to have service but must have a card in there
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  10.    #10  
    sorry it was a typo. I know the pre does not have a sd card. Do I have to constantly have a sim card int he phone to operate it, or can I just pop in someones sim card activate it, and then take it back out?
    im not really sure about that but i think you have to have a sim in it ?? even if its an old sim not being used
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Well, if you cancel service, you can use the "old" sim card still in there, it wont get service but it will tell your pre "sim card in place", work!...

Alternatively you can get a small prepaid card like 5$ or 10$ depending on where you are, and use that, you can make a few calls and keep the card after the credit is gone... I have a bunch of old simcards lying around... dont you have any from old phones/lines? (many phones come with a simcard, even though you dont use it - all vzw global phones, for example)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you edited the first post ,but any ways thats what the sim slot is for .you dont have to have service but must have a card in there
    That is not entirely correct. You only need to have SIM card for the activation. After that, the phone will boot normaly and just show "Check SIM-SOS only" in the upper left corner of the screen.

It's basically the same as activating the phone using WiFi with the Meta Doctor modification.
  14.    #14  
    Ive tried the small prepaid card from two different companies now. I was able to get it to ask me my language of preference but thats it. After that it just says I need to activate my sim card. This is getting to be ridiculous. Two days and 40 dollars later, I still cant get my pre to do a single thing. If I had any idea what meta doctor is I would try that. Does anyone else have any other ideas before I send my phone back, and get a phone I can purchase and actually use.
    this is what you need to follow...

Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Can't you run the phone on T-Mobile if its GSM? The frequencies could be different so that may not work. Just an idea.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by czechdev View Post
    That is not entirely correct. You only need to have SIM card for the activation. After that, the phone will boot normaly and just show "Check SIM-SOS only" in the upper left corner of the screen.

It's basically the same as activating the phone using WiFi with the Meta Doctor modification.
    kool now op knows this and now i know this too!!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  18.    #18  
    I finally found a card that seemed to be working. It let me enter in my name password, and email. However, I keep getting a message that says profile creation failed you need to be connected to your wireless service providers network to create the profile. move into a wireless service area and try again. What does this mean?
  19.    #19  
    Ive read elsewhere that a t-mobile card will work. Is there any truth to that. What about ATT. I was previously trying centenial and that did not work.
  20. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omox View Post
    Ive read elsewhere that a t-mobile card will work. Is there any truth to that. What about ATT. I was previously trying centenial and that did not work.
    I doubt that a T-Mobile SIM would work unless you're using a German Pre (because the SIM slot is unlocked on that one--and so far only on that one). Your best bet, whether for T-Mobile or AT&T, looks like a RebelSIM.

I'd also double-check what 3G frequencies your carrier supports and get a Pre that supports them if you can. For AT&T, the best bet is one from Mexico, on Telcel (once web stores start offering it--unless you want to hop on a plane!). For T-Mobile (USA), it doesn't matter--no other carrier worldwide supports 1700 mHz. So unless they get the Pre after Sprint's exclusive is up, it's unlikely that we'll see a Pre able to do 3G on T-Mo USA.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast