1.    #1  
    I've been having trouble getting access to anything vaguely "Internety" today when on 2G or 3G instead of WiFi - but I've finally figured out what the problem is.

/etc/resolv.conf pointed DNS queries to 127.0.0.1 and it simply wasn't resolving (the Pre seems to run a caching named). Based on some poking around in the filesystem (under /var) there is another resolv.conf which seems to contain the nameservers allocated by DHCP,but this hadn't made it into /etc.

Editing /etc/resolv.conf to include some real DNS servers (in may case for T-Mobile/Virgin Mobile UK) has solved the issue and 'net access is working again.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem ?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    ive been getting problems with data, it wont pick up the data connection on 2g or 3g even in a full signal area and i have to switch data off and on to reconnect. not sure if its the same issue but its annoying as hell
  3.    #3  
    Unfortunately, these are unlikely to be related as I was showing either G or 3G most of the day and had a valid IP address. Unless, of course, the connection was failing during DHCP dialogue and only a partial set-up happened.

Strange thing (I forgot to mention this) is that everything worked perfectly for me on Thursday - but of course because of that, it didn't occur to me to look at the contents of the resolver file.
  4.    #4  
    Update : Seems this is a bug in 1.3.1 - reported and fixed (more elegantly than I did) on the Palm forum Bug after upgrade to 1.3.1 EU: No DNS after switching from WiFi to Phone - webOS Software - Palm Support Community
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I changed The DNS from 127.0.0.1 to my Cellphone provider DNS in resolv.conf
    but i still have no Data 2G!
    and Wifi cant connect to net!
    i did restart my Pre but still didnt work!

so i edited back to 127.0.0.1 and the Wifi works again!

How it comes to work with u?
    and i coudnt find the second resolv.conf under /Var/
    and from where did you get the DNS?

Did u added you provider DNS along with 127.0.0.1 ?
    FYI:

the palm uses "dnsmasq":

Code:
    root 2234 0.0 0.3 1988 780 ?  Ss  09:55   0:00 /usr/bin/dnsmasq -d -C /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf
    It proxies and caches dns requests. The physical nameserver it uses to resolve hosts, is stored in /tmp/resolv.conf. You can modify its behavior by just editing /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Since you guys seem to have some insight in the data connection settings in 1.3.1 do you maybe have any idea how to fix this problem?

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-1-3-1-uk.html

The CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 isn't working for me in 1.3.1, because something changed in 1.3.1. I just don't know what.. Changing /etc/resolv.conf didn't help.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by debilater View Post
    FYI:

the palm uses "dnsmasq":

Code:
    root 2234 0.0 0.3 1988 780 ?  Ss  09:55   0:00 /usr/bin/dnsmasq -d -C /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf
    It proxies and caches dns requests. The physical nameserver it uses to resolve hosts, is stored in /tmp/resolv.conf. You can modify its behavior by just editing /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf.
    Thanks and yes - the trick is to modify /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf to check BOTH /tmp/resolv.conf and /var/run/resolv.conf with polling enabled to make sure it picks up any changes as the phone roams between WiFi and 2g/3g networks.

It doesn't seem to *need* dnsmasq though - at least not on my networks - as putting some fixed IP addresses for servers into /etc/resolv.conf also worked.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Since you guys seem to have some insight in the data connection settings in 1.3.1 do you maybe have any idea how to fix this problem?

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-1-3-1-uk.html

The CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 isn't working for me in 1.3.1, because something changed in 1.3.1. I just don't know what.. Changing /etc/resolv.conf didn't help.
    resolv.conf only comes into play AFTER you have a valid data connection established with IP addressing working. Your problem relates to something more basic about connection establishment at the PPP level I think.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    resolv.conf only comes into play AFTER you have a valid data connection established with IP addressing working. Your problem relates to something more basic about connection establishment at the PPP level I think.
    Do you know the linux command for making a data connection?