Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    My pre has been in tip-top shape since I got it back in august. It was a fairly solid phone, tiny bit of wiggle. Never had any problems, I took great care of it.

Just a few hours ago I picked it up and tapped the power button to turn the screen on and the power button depressed...and never came back up. I tried and tried, but it's just stuck down there. I used a paper clip to provide some leverage hoping I could get it out again so that it was press-able, but with just a little bit of pressure, the entire power button just flew off. I can snap it back in fairly easily, but it goes all the way down so that the button itself is flush with the top of the phone, making it impossible to actually use the power button unless you apply a lot of pressure to the specific area where the button is underneath.

I've never heard of anyone complaining about faulty power buttons, and mine has worked just fine for several months. I have not done ANYTHING bad to this phone. It hasn't suffered any damage from falls, impact, water, etc. Is there a home remedy for this? I bought my phone from radio shack, and I bought their phone insurance plan when I bought it (because I knew this phone didn't have the most reputable build quality around). Would that insurance cover this?

It's surprisingly difficult to use the phone without a functional power switch...
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I've seen a couple of post here about this, and depending on how good, or bad, your local Sprint reps are you may, or may not, get a refurb without forking over a $100.

I'd take it back to Sprint and tell them you can't get the phone to come on and let them beat their heads against a wall for a while.

Cheers,
    Wes
    It's not an unheard of problem. I've read enough posts about power buttons going bad to be thankful mine hasn't.

Take it into RS. You've got insurance so don't sweat it. Life is good.
    you have a one year warrenty from palm.. Sprint will replace it for free as long as its not somethibg you did..
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    ...Sprint will replace it for free as long as its not somethibg you did..
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspike View Post
    I'd take it back to Sprint...
    Fellas he bought it at RS 10-4? I know it's late but...
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I bought my Pre 2 weeks after launch.
    Complain complain complain.

If it doesn't work out with Sprint reps at your local store, call them.
    Tell them how you love Sprint and have been a loyal customer and expected to get tip-top phone hardware.

Unless you can just fix that power button thing somehow by yourself.
    I wonder if sprint reps can fix that (hahahahahaha)
    This sounds like it should be covered under your warranty, as long as it was a new phone, and not a refurb. New phones have a one year warranty from Palm, while refurbs are only under warranty for 90 days. Go here, click on "Guides and more", and then download the One Year Warranty for more information. Either Radio Shack, Sprint, or Palm needs to replace your phone for you. If they insist that the damage was caused by "misuse or neglect", you may have to use your insurance to get a replacement, but you should do everything you can to convince them that it is a defective phone and should be repaired under the warranty. Good luck!
    The last sprint rep I talked to was named Laquisha and she told me to go to a different store when I explained how mine was "touching randomly".

I can't get over how they say "spreent"

LOL.
    That happened to my kid's pre a few months back, I called the Sprint store where I bought it and they said it was covered under the 1 year warranty, they had a new one for her the next day.
    The power button? or the random touching?
    The power button failing seems to be pretty common. My launch day pre had to be replaced due to it. Due a search on here and you'll find it has happened to others here as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmo0016 View Post
    The last sprint rep I talked to was named Laquisha and she told me to go to a different store when I explained how mine was "touching randomly".

I can't get over how they say "spreent"

LOL.
    Who? People in the south?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Same thing happend to me.

I just went to the Sprint Store and got FREAKIN' ****ED! and they gave me a new one,

Took about 10 minutes.
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Doesn't matter where you bought it.. Well.. okay.. it does but as long as it's an authorized dealer, which RS is, just take it to Sprint and explain what happened. Sprint name is printed on the phone itself.. It would be shameful if they didn't take responsibility for it.

Just take it to Sprint.. They'll take care of you.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    i dropped my phone in the target parking lot and now my power button has the same problem as yours. I don't have insurance and there is obvious damage where it was dropped on the corner so am I basically screwed here? It's not a giant deal that the power button doesn't work because I can work around it but it would be really nice to have a phone with it.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I dunno what to tell you murch. I think you'll just have to see what sprint says about it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to head to radioshack tomorrow, but one quick question: WIll my palm profile restore everything to a new phone if I were to get a replacement, or are there some things I should back up manually?
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. I don't know how, and I'm currently trying to find out.
    I'm trying to find something that backs up my contacts, memos, notes... but it's hard to find such a program.

I just got a replacement and I had to go through the painful process of getting contacts back. I was SO scared when I saw 2 contacts...
    I had to go through many phone calls and finally to Palm tech service (forgot what tier) and the guy told me he had a file that had all my contacts and stuff... oddly.

Anyway, I got all my stuff back... not minding the fact that I had to go through atleast 4 partial erases (no joke) yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Who? People in the south?
    Lol no. Gangsters.